The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-28-2021, 03:37 PM

Default Favorite car-color guitars?

A nice Gretsch NGD got me to thinking. What's your favorite car-color guitar and if possible, what car is it based on?

I think my fav is a 1960s Stratocaster in Ice Blue Metallic...

...and I believe the color is based on "Silver Blue" as used by Ford during that era — seen here on a 1965 fastback Mustang.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:04 PM

Old-time Gretsch guy that I am, I never cared for the 6118 smoke-green finish - perhaps it was the fact that my dad had a bullet-nose '50 Studebaker in the same puke color...

By the same token, I'd still love to have a mid-1964 transition-logo hardtail Strat in Candy Apple red (with matching headstock) - and as for my automotive inspiration, well:

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 08-28-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:59 PM

I liked "candy" paint on hot rods and custom cars and used to paint model cars with it too. Like Steve I'm fond of Candy Apple Red.

Perhaps the OP meant paints that were based on actual auto factory paint colors? Sherwood Green Metallic is one I like. I have a older Squire Tele with that, and here's that color used with wheels

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-28-2021, 07:19 PM

Moulin Rouge/Panther Pink. 1970 one year only muscle car paint code for Dodge or Plymouth hot rods.
An Ibanez shown here for reference only. I would take a Jazzmaster with black pinstriping and a maple fretboard for this buildout.
That ‘Cuda is the perfect canvas for such a unique color.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

To me, that would be Daphne Blue or a version thereof.1958-Cadillac-DeVille_Daphne_blue.jpeg1107491.jpg
Old 08-28-2021, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Moulin Rouge/Panther Pink. 1970 one year only muscle car paint code for Dodge or Plymouth hot rods.
An Ibanez shown here for reference only. I would take a Jazzmaster with black pinstriping and a maple fretboard for this buildout.
That ‘Cuda is the perfect canvas for such a unique color.
Wow, Chickee... I might need my shades for those two!
Old 08-28-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Wow, Chickee... I might need my shades for those two!
A fire breathing hot rod(either car or guitar)with a pink paint job! You certainly won’t see that at every drag strip or on every stage, would you? Just perfect.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
A fire breathing hot rod (either car or guitar) with a pink paint job! You certainly won’t see that at every drag strip or on every stage, would you? Just perfect.
How soon we forget - first saw her at National Speedway in the late-60's when she was a driving a different-colored gas dragster, had the pleasure of meeting her at E-Town Raceway Park several times over the years:

Old 08-28-2021, 09:58 PM

My .strandberg* Salen based on an ARC truck ~ red, white, & chrome...

Old 08-29-2021, 04:33 AM

Love those old car custom colours for Fender guitars in particular.

Not that I've ever been there but surf and seafoam green screams 60's California drenched in sun, surf and reverb!
Old 08-29-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Old-time Gretsch guy that I am, I never cared for the 6118 smoke-green finish - perhaps it was the fact that my dad had a bullet-nose '50 Studebaker in the same puke color...

By the same token, I'd still love to have a mid-1964 transition-logo hardtail Strat in Candy Apple red (with matching headstock) - and as for my automotive inspiration, well:

I saw that Jack Chrisman car at Lions Drag Strip! Awesome- especially since I am a Ford freak

Currently, I like the Rat Rod in matte finish in the Gretsch guitar line in the silver or black-

Mimicking the primer-laden "beater" vibe of classic rat rods, the G5410T comes in three Matte finishes-Matte Black with red pickguard, Matte Phantom Metallic with black pickguard or Matte Vintage White with black pickguard. The Matte Black and Matte Phantom Metallic models feature aged white binding with black/white purfling, red pickup inserts and chrome hardware, while the Matte Vintage White model features black binding with white/black purfling, red pickup inserts and chrome hardware. It's the sound of honor itself-play proud.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:47 AM

What would a late 1960s/ early 1970s muscle car look like with a Les Paul sunburst finish?
Old 08-29-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What would a late 1960s/ early 1970s muscle car look like with a Les Paul sunburst finish?

Ha! No kiddin!
Old 08-29-2021, 07:03 AM

Old 08-29-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
How soon we forget - first saw her at National Speedway in the late-60's when she was a driving a different-colored gas dragster, had the pleasure of meeting her at E-Town Raceway Park several times over the years:

I lived down the road from Etown drag strip for 35 years. Got to meet all the greats!
They used to call her ChaCha Muldowney. She got her break driving some of Connie Kalitta’s hot rods, developing her skills all the way up to top fuel cars. She was a trail blazer for women in the sport. Endured a lot(look at the nickname the men gave her)and persevered to become a top champion in her profession! I’d play a pink guitar for Shirley any day at all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars