The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-21-2021, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Video makers - What kit do you use?

I've had a progression of Zoom cameras and currently use a Q8 which seems fine as far as the sound if concerned but the picture is dull compared to my old Q4, for which I can no longer get a battery (which fits).

I'd be most interested to know what camera, mics (if not attached, and lighting do you use.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:53 AM

Hi Andy

After a bit of experimentation I have settled on my iPhone for all video using Filmic pro app (which is outstanding) I also use the remote app on another device that then allows me to control the video from my seated position.

Best

Peter

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 08-24-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I've had a progression of Zoom cameras and currently use a Q8 which seems fine as far as the sound if concerned but the picture is dull compared to my old Q4, for which I can no longer get a battery (which fits).

I'd be most interested to know what camera, mics (if not attached, and lighting do you use.

Thanks in advance.
The Zoom cameras always have that fish eye lens effect, especially if you want to get close to who you're videoing. (Besides, I'm not spending any money!)
I'm slowly working toward making acceptable videos, while at the same time exercising my EXTREME version of frugality.

Camera: My Moto G6 mounted on a tri-pod and using the free open camera app. Lighting is just the overhead LED lights in my garage shop.

Audio: Guitar through a K&K Pure Mini directly into a Zoom R24 currently. Recording at 44.1 khz / 24 bit depth. (I just picked up a Zoom Livetrak L8 that's going to be just fine for the audio recording.)

In the linked video (my latest) the bass is using the D.I. from a Fender Rumble 100 directly into the R24.

Octave mando miked with a Rode NT3 phantom powered from the R24.

Octave mando vocal mic is a Roswell Audio Mini K-47 (a really nice large diaphragm condenser.

My vocal mic is a Shure SM-35 headset mic phantom powered from the R24.

Video and audio transferred to my PC and edited using Reaper. Minimal effects applied via Reaper plug ins.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

I often use one (or both) of a couple of Panasonic camcorders. Kind of the last of the pre-4k models that came out a couple years ago, HC-V750/770. Pretty good low-light performance and optical zooms. Audio is recorded separately and synced.

If I'm only using a single camera at home, like for an online lesson/class, or something short (under 30min), I might just use the iPhone or an older Sony mirrorless camera.

I have a few mics that I might use, but lately I've been using SDCs for guitar/mandolin. I've got a trusty SM58 for my own croaking.

I used to have some clamp-on kind of hardware store worklights, but I gave those away (along with a mic and mixer) last year to a yoga studio for their online classes. Now I open the curtains/blinds, and I have one of those round/halo things to supplement natural light. I'm not trying to do anything of any size or professional standards, at all, if it's not obvious .
Old 08-25-2021, 06:09 PM
Eric Skye

For my guitar video selfies I use two Canon m50 cameras, and use the flip screen and auto focus. One has a 22mm prime lens, the other is a 35mm -but with that camera’s small sensor crop factor they are really more like a 35mm and 50mm respectively. I do record the audio on those cameras but only as a visual guide for doing the sync later.

And this most recent YouTube https://youtu.be/A01_YAjJukU I’m using a pair of Schoeps small diaphragm condensers in a spaced pair going into an Apogee Element 46 intrerface, and then into Apple’s Logic Pro.

I've used many different kinds of microphones for youtube vids over the years -it’s kind of my vice. The Schoeps are pretty fancy, but ultimately they’re really not that different than others. Which is to say the room, and the position of the microphones, how you process them, etc, is magnitude more important than different kinds of mics.. But I digress.

Anyway, from there I’ll import the video file into Logic and use the aforementioned camera audio waveforms (which are muted) just as a visual guide to sync.

I’ll mix the audio from external mics in Logic. I mostly use Fabfilter’s plug-ins for a touch of compression, maybe some EQ, a little reverb, and limiting to get it up to a good level.

When I’ve got the audio so I like it, I export that video file, with the replaced audio, into Apple‘s Final Cut where I’ll create a multi-camera file from the two cameras so I can switch back-and-forth between the two perspectives. And then I’ll do a little color grading, and usually apply a third-party LUT ( I like https://tropiccolour.com ) for a little more of a cinematic look.

I have some soft box fluorescent lights that I've used a few times (mostly for lessons) but the video above, as with most of mine, is just lit from the window in my little home office. lately I've been playing around with a darker look, so I may even pull the shades down a bit..

I think that's about it.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:31 PM

I'm pretty frugal most the time so when we made a demo of some songs the only out of pocket was for a Zoom H6 audio record with 4 XLR ins. My son just happens to be a photographer and offered to help so he recorded the moving and closeup parts with his camera but for the stationary shots we just use one of my 4 year old LG G6 phones and I'm satisfied with the results. For mics we used a Shure Beta 58 and Sennheiser e945, guitar with Anthem PU direct to the zoom. I have a couple cheap light boxes but we decided to use the natural light this time.

Video camera-no cost
Zoom H6-$340
Video editor-$0 using Blackmagic's Davinci Resolve
DAW for mixing audio-$0 using the free Bandcamp's Cakewalk

Here's one of the songs.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:06 PM

I use my DSLR (Sony a77ii) as my camera. Many DSLRs and mirrorless cameras from the last 8-10 years can give clean 1080p output via HDMI or USB. In my case, I have HDMI out going to a $20 HDMI-USB adapter to the PC. A typical 18-55mm kit lens for a camera with an APS-C sensor works well. I use a Tamron 16-300mm because that's what I have.

My vocal mic is an ADK Hamburg v8 large-diaphragm condenser, my acoustic guitar goes through the ToneDexter, and I mic my electric guitar's amp with a Behringer B906 mic. I use a Behringer X1204USB mixer, using USB to the PC.

Everything goes into OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) and then, for the most part, into Zoom.

For lights I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077PZM382...v_ov_lig_dp_it

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-27-2021, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

My process is similar to Eric's. I have Panasonic GH-series cameras, 3 of them. I record audio to a Zoom H6, with various external mics. I've been using stereo mics for quite a while just to cut down on the stands and visual clutter. A pair of Viltrox LED lights with adjustable brightness and color temperature. I use a focus card and color card for setup and calibration. Load the audio into Logic and do any EQing, etc, then put audio and SD cards from the cameras into Final Cut Pro X, make a multi-cam clip, which syncs everything up, do any color tweaking, then cut between scenes according to taste. Export to whatever format I want. Lately, I've been shooting in 4K, mostly to allow more leeway with zooming after the fact.

In my most recent videos, I've been shooting with a green screen, then using Adobe AfterEffects to put myself in a virtual space and move cameras around, etc. That's been fun, but tedious, not sure I'll do much more of that.... Here's an example of the green screen approach, and in this case, I'm using an Ear Trumpet Labs mic:

Old 08-28-2021, 06:47 AM

I've struggled with this a bit. On one hand, I'm a guitar player and just want to make vids to help get gigs and just to put something out there. OTOH, I want the vids to be as good as they can be, just the way I am. But I really don't want to be a video producer, editor, recording engineer or lighting director. Each one of those disciplines require a lot of study, learning and practice to be good at, all of which take creative energy away from my focus, which is fingerstyle guitar.

I've settled on this: I have a cannon 5d mkII and a tripod. That records video onto a CF card. I record audio (KM184's) into my interface into Logic Pro X. I bought an inexpensive LED lighting panel on amazon. I've found you have to use something for lighting or it just looks flat. Then I sync the audio and video in imovie (which is tedious - moving things around is clunky at best), but I've recently learned you can import video into logic pro, so I'm going to experiment with syncing there next time.

I'd like to add a second camera at some point and maybe experiment with a Ken Burns type zoom to add some movement, but like I said, I'm no video expert and don't have the inclination to become one.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Last edited by jklotz; 08-28-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
…I'd be most interested to know what camera, mics (if not attached, and lighting do you use.
Hi SM…
  • I use iPhone 8 plus, Canon M & M3 cameras, Canon 5d Mk3, for video.
  • I use a Zoom H4n to capture audio.
  • I edit/assemble it all with Final Cut Pro.
  • I often use a Rode NT-3 mic for audio capture flown overhead for dialogue or my AKG-414 or Shure KSM-44 on floor stands for higher quality audio.
  • I've got both a MOTU M-2 and Behringer FLOW 8 for audio input to computer for recording if going into DAW.
  • I own 3 Neewer (pronounced Nee-were) 660 LED panels, with barn doors removed, through soft-boxes, flown from C-stands. Sometimes I double diffuse them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-28-2021, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Lately I have just been using the webcam on my iMac which is OK @ 1080 but limited. I have my iPhone 10 s (which I have not tried) but I may find a tripod mount and give it whirl

Before that I used an older Cannon video camera and an Olympus 3/4 mirrorless
I use Final Cut Pro X for editing
I use my studio mics and Carbon interface

Looks like this

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-28-2021 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I've recently learned you can import video into logic pro, so I'm going to experiment with syncing there next time.
You can't edit video in Logic, but you can import it, and doing the slipping approach to synching is probably easier there if you can't do it automatically in the video editor. It's quite nice to be able to see the video while mixing, and can be useful in more complex scenarios, like a multi-track band video. For example, I just did a project for a local theater group who wanted to produce a socially-distanced style show. Others did the video editing (fortunately... the videos were pretty complicated), and then I imported the final video into Logic so I could see what was going on while mixing as many as 30-40 audio tracks to go along with the video. Then export the video back out with the new audio mix.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Great thread. I was going to post something similar asking about people's video setups and workflow. But this one pretty much answered all it for me.

Largely inspired by Doug and Eric, I've gone down the video rabbit hole the past few years. Its fun, and an enjoyable thing to learn for me. I currently use.

Canon T3i with a 24mm lens
Canon M50 with a 35mm lens

Gefell M300 mics either into an RME BabyFace Pro then Logic on the computer or a Zoom H6.

A pair of those white umbrella lights off Amazon.

I used Davinci Resolve initially because it was free, but Im currently checking out the 90 demo of Final Cut Pro

I'm still figuring out white balancing, getting my focus perfect, color grading, and all that. Plus getting both shots to look more similar. Ill have to check out that cinematic plugin Eric mentioned.

Here is a recent video I did, in my music room. Main camera is the T3i, side is the M50.

Its more convenient to shoot there because I just leave the gear setup, but downstairs is a bigger room and has a nice bokeh effect. I'm going to have to try that some more, and maybe swap the main and side camera.

I've been processing the video in Final Cut first, just camera audio as a reference, then importing it into Logic, syncing the video with the Logic audio, then exporting the video with the improved audio. But Logic only exports as .mov, so I want an .mp4 I have to dump the final video into FCP. I'm gonna try processing the audio first, import it into FCP, sync it and the two camera clips, so then I only have to export once. I don't know if all the importing/exporting and converting from .mov to .mp4 matters
Old 08-28-2021, 01:07 PM

It really depends on what you want the final product to look like, and what you see as your audience’s expectations. If you want run of the mill Youtube quality, with flat lighting and a wide lens, then a GoPro or other inexpensive camera is fine.

But trying to approach anything like a professional look means a better camera(s) and lens consideration, together with lighting and location (or background._

I use a very similar setup to what Doug Young uses—I have three Panasonic Gh4’s and just got a Z Cam E2 Cinema camera. All are Micro four thirds cameras and shoot 4K (which means you can do zooms in post production). I use a motorized slider for the main camera.

For audio, I use an Ear Trumpet Edwina and a Sound Devices Premix 6II, shooting double system and syncing and editing in Final Cut Pro X. I have four cameras because I also shoot performance videos of bands.

For lighting I use a soft-box and a reflector, with practical lighting (a lamp) in the background.

Really the cheapest upgrade to your production is to give thought and care to an attractive location, particularly the distance between the singer and the background, for softer focus and more subdued lighting in background. If you do this with a GoPro, its going to look 100% better than the usual living room setup. Many people use a black background, which is death, in my opinion….
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 08-28-2021, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

I try to keep things simple when I record, and for the occasions that I include video I use a Sony HD Handycam that’s a few years old now. It’s easy to set up and the screen flips to make viewing possible from where I am sat

Both video and sound are separately recorded then uploaded to my computer. Sound is edited / processed then synch’d to the video.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD