The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-18-2021, 11:51 AM

Default J45 adjustable bridge mod: Report

I am the original owner of a 1971 Gibson J45 with an adjustable bridge. I have never been thrilled with the sound: dull, lifeless, lacking clarity, and it has sat in its case for most of the last 10 years while I have played my Rainsong for everyday playing and gigs.

I tried replacing the original rosewood bridge with a ceramic one but it only improved the sound slightly.

Then I saw this video linked in a thread on this forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je7O55Brnj0&t=3s

I was pretty convinced that the adjustable bridge was the main reason for the lifeless sound and I contacted my local luthier, Cathy Currier of Currier's Music World, Richmond, KY. I showed her the youtube video and she said, no problem, I can do that.

In the pictures below, you can see she did a beautiful job, and it is totally reversible if I ever want to go back to the original.

The difference in sound was amazing. It is like a new guitar. There is a considerable increase in volume, and the sound is much brighter with much more sustain. The biggest difference is in the clarity and brightness of the bass strings. I wish I had made a before and after recording, but you will just have to trust me. I have owned this guitar for 50 years, so was very familiar with the sound.

I highly recommend this mod for anyone with an adjustable bridge who is less than thrilled with the sound.

Pictures can be seen here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/v79Yfexkd63JmnbC8

Rainsong WS 1000
Gibson J45
Martin D12-18
Journey OF660
Beard Copper Mountain Resonator
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Emerald X7
Old 09-18-2021, 12:01 PM

While those adjustable bridges have a following, getting the replacement bridge saddle is definitely the way to go if you’re trying to optimize the tone. Congratulations on getting a better-sounding guitar out of the deal.

whm
Old 09-18-2021, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

I totally agree with changing the bridge on a sucky sounding guitar. You have nothing to lose. But I'd never do this on my Texan.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

Last edited by Br1ck; 09-18-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I totally agree with changing the bridge on a sucky sounding guitar. You have nothing to use. But I'd never do this on my Texan.
“Nothing to use” or “nothing to lose?”

whm
Old 09-18-2021, 05:19 PM

I made a similar saddle insert myself on an old Hondo 12-string guitar with an adjustable height bridge.

I had a cheap aftermarket rosewood 12-string bridge that I carefully cut out the area around the saddle.

Hours and hours of sanding and trying to drop the pin heights lower to improve the break angle turned out to be fruitless in the end - the bellying and neck angle were way too much for me - so I abandoned the project - but the saddle insert did work!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-18-2021, 11:04 PM

For such a nice guitar, the insert whilst functional could have been made to look way better.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-19-2021, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

She did a very nice job, but what surprises me is that you'v had a guitar that you thought sounded crappy since 1971 and you just now did something about it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair