The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-10-2021, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I sanded it down a little and the action is good now. I just hope the neck doesn't move anymore. It's only a 2016.
I'm not a luthier but I think you were right in at least checking this out, though I'm not sure there's a huge problem here. I agree with a few others that the saddle carve looks "amateur" to me (separate issue but maybe evidence of a poor setup). The amount of saddle left before your sanding looked "adequate" IMO, but not "plentiful". I suspect you don't have much more saddle to go -after latest sanding- if you need to further lower the action via that route in the future. However, the bridge looked to be able handle a little shaving if you need to lower the saddle a bit in the future, before getting to a reset, if ever. It sounds like you have the neck relief "dialed in". I may have missed it in someone else's comments but I'd also make sure the guitar is properly humidified to get that top at the right level as well.

I've been keeping an eye on a saddle/action/neck situation myself on a Martin 000, which for years has been at perfect action for me but with little room for a further saddle reduction. It's been stable for 10+ years now, with proper humidification, light gauge strings (my preference) and probably some luck. I could handle a bit of a rise in action if needed. Interesting discussion. Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair