The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-06-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Just a guess but maybe 10 to 20 years ?????

That was SOP back in the 60's , very few TV sets had sufficient PA's and mixing board capability for entire bands live..... there were some but most did not.

That was the first song I learn to play on guitar in 1964 when I was 14 (I remember it like it was a lifetime ago )

LOL- very few TV's were color TV's in the 60's- the sound was a secondary necessity- there was a neighbor across the street from us who hung colored saran wrap like sheets in front of the screen to produce "color TV" a red sheet, a green sheet and a blue sheet-

I saw Elvis, live(?) on the Arthur Godfrey show in the late 50's- the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show in the 60's- I didn't know enough about anything to determine the music was recorded-
Old 09-06-2021, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
LOL- very few TV's were color TV's in the 60's- the sound was a secondary necessity- there was a neighbor across the street from us who hung colored saran wrap like sheets in front of the screen to produce "color TV" a red sheet, a green sheet and a blue sheet-

I saw Elvis, live(?) on the Arthur Godfrey show in the late 50's- the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show in the 60's- I didn't know enough about anything to determine the music was recorded-
I see my wording was ambiguous and not clear I was actually talking about the TV stations broadcast stage/ "sets" having poor sound reproduction ability

But some of the TV's had reasonably good sound (for the time) being born in 1950 there were only a few TV's in the late 50's in our neighborhood and at first no color ones until the mid 60s . I do remember one of the first TV's, was a neighbor across the street had a this cabinet TV where a the flat top folded up to 90 degrees and had a mirror maybe 20 inches square, onto which the image was projected from inside the Cabinet ...

Something along the lines of this Philco

Note the 8" or 10 " loudspeaker in the Philco's cabinet

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 09-06-2021 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm being born in 1950 there were only a few TV's in the late 50's in our neighborhood and at first no color ones until the mid 60s . I do remember one of the first TV's, was a neighbor across the street had a this cabinet TV where a the flat top folded up to 90 degrees and had a mirror maybe 20 inches square, onto which the image was projected from inside the Cabinet ...

Something along the lines of this Philco

Ha! Wow! I was born in 47- the first TV I saw was in 54- and didn't have remote control- 3 channels with lots of snow on 2 of them - that one you're showing reminds me of the original "big" screen TV's that were more or less just screens for projectors-
Old 09-06-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post

the Beatles played live ...well taped live , not lipsync'd...on ed sullivan. I saw all four shows, and then saw them in concert at memorial auditorium. 1964. Wow...history was really flying in those days....kinda of like now.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars