The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-03-2018, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
That's because they're basically rethinking the emergency alert system. I actually feel that those types of alerts are beneficial, not invasive. Amber Alerts and Weather Alerts serve a purpose and should not be ignored IMO.
It’s the branding, not the actual function that is bugging people.

I’ve had so many robo-calls I had to ditch my phone number. Seems to have worked for coming on 2 years now.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
...but the robo-callers never EVER leave messages...
The ones I get do leave messages. At this time of year, it's about offering health care insurance.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 10-03-2018, 07:23 PM

Some good answers and some funny ones too!
Should have mentioned that my cell uses Tracfone and keeping them on the line would really eat up my minutes.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
No luck here, and now I'm getting Presidential Alerts on my phone. Googling how to disable that nonsense...
Those are not political or presidential messages.

Those are national emergency messages. They did one test of the nationwide emergency broadcast system (at 2:18 EST) today

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-04-2018, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
They did one test of the nationwide emergency broadcast system (at 2:18 EST) today
Agreed, except I believe it was at 2:18 Eastern Daylight Time.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:10 AM

I'm not sure there is a great answer. These scammers will find a way around any legislation or tech solution, one way or another. I have been getting calls from Egypt lately with a spoofed 208 (Idaho) area code. But it still says Egypt on the caller ID. Morons.

For many years now, I always let the phone ring for at least four rings before picking up, even if it is in my hand already. Robo-caller machines dial about ten numbers simultaneously, and connect with the first one who picks up. Sometimes if I feel in the mood, I will answer and string them along for a while. The worst thing you can do to them is to lower their "call completed" percentage and waste the time of a person on the other end. One caller made the mistake of admitting that they were not allowed to hang up once connected. I read the front page of the newspaper to them - slowly - for about a half-hour.

These days I no longer answer any call if they are not in my contacts list. Some legitimate business calls go to voice mail, but I call those right back. Maybe I was on another call (or in the bathroom)? I cannot be available every second of the day, even on my work phone.

Finally, I have turned off all emergency and amber alerts. It is maddening that there is a new system that cannot be turned off. I was sitting working at my desk when this obnoxious alarm went off, like a klaxon in a nuclear plant (flashback). Arrgghhh!
Old 10-04-2018, 11:09 AM

Hi this is Rachel stay on the line we can help you with your student loan debt. Someday when I have the time I am going to stay on the line and see if they can help me with that student loan in 1978.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:42 PM

My standard answer to Rachael or whoever (if I feel like playing with them) is, "Yes I would like your small business loan. I want the biggest amount possible, as soon as possible. Oh, by the way, I'm filing for bankruptcy next month, so please expedite the check".
Old 10-04-2018, 02:38 PM

When I get a call from the same or nearby area codes, I answer, "Sheriff's Office, Fraud Department". Usually just silence at the other end, but one lady came on line and apologized for her "computer" call and took me off her list..... sorta fun.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:24 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis
I was recently advised, when actually deciding to engage with one of these folks, to go along with it, but then ask them to "please repeat what you just said, but in your *best* sexy voice".

I have had any number of entertaining responses to this...

Quote:
i installed an app called Hiya. Totally free, no ads, totally legit. So effective it came pre installed on my new Galaxy.

You have to give permission for simultaneous call forwarding - it rings your phone and their system. They look at the caller ID and screen it. If its a known spam call they block it before (or within a fraction of a second) of your phone ringing.

You can decide whether to simply block them or forward them to voice mail (so you dont accidentally miss a legit call).

The only thing you cant workaround is that they get new numbers that arent yet in the database of spammers so some still get through but my SPAM robocalls dropped 95%.
Like Fazool, I've also installed Hiya (Samsung Galaxy S8; also worked on my previous S6). I also activated AT&T's version (can't recall - it was bloatware but you didn't have to turn it on) -- but it turns out it's (licensed I'm sure) Hiya rebranded by AT&T. Also installed "Mr. Number". Both work on iPhone or Android. Both access a database of numbers and if recognized they block the call "Telemarketer" or "Known Spam" or "Suspected Spam".

Hiya gives them this message:

"I'm using Hiya (https://get.hiya.com/allow) to screen all calls from unknown numbers. Please reply to this message with your name and call again."

Between the Hiya, AT&T, and Mr. Number apps I now only hear a partial ring (before the app takes over) - and sometimes not at all. I do have to re-start the app occasionally. I honestly can't recall if it was free or a nominal amount - these were the two apps that a solid reviewer online recommended.

Of course - Larry's and some of your other responses in engaging them are excellent! But I usually don't have time...

Best,
Phil
Old 10-05-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
i installed an app called Hiya. Totally free, no ads, totally legit.
I recently started using this too. It's been very effective. Best one i've seen (for the price)
Old 10-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
No luck here, and now I'm getting Presidential Alerts on my phone. Googling how to disable that nonsense...
The Presidential alert was genuine and went out nationwide.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:09 PM

Easy solution: I have a ring tone that is assigned to all people in my contacts lists who merit an immediate or quick response. All other phone numbers get the generic ring tone - I don't answer those calls, but will check for messages at my convenience. Phone numbers associated with callers whom I don't know and who don't leave messages are assigned to the contacts known as 'Spam.' Spam ring tones are silenced.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:04 PM

i get notices called, "spam likely" that seem to catch a lot of them. what is worse than a human spam call? a recorded message spam call that you can't keep on the phone, if you wish, or to tell them that you are interested but you'd like their home number to call them back.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-10-2018, 04:09 PM

Why are there robo calls to start with? I have never heard of anybody that responds to them. Somehow they must make money off this madness but I don't know how.

Fog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic