The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

The closest airport is Stewart in Newburgh, next is Albany, Newark, LGA, Kennedy. Newark is probably the easiest to get a fight and then get up to Woodstock.

Next is where will you stay if you are staying over? Start working on it now because there aren't a lot of places and they will fill up with the regulars who come every year. Check AirBnB. Check for Phoenicia, it's only 15 minutes away, over one mountain road. For those of you who had to park at the campground on Sunday last year, you were halfway to Phoenicia!

I'll be there Friday; got to see John Sebastian play. Be there for the BG rhythm clinic on Sunday. Might as well stop by on Saturday, I'm only just over the mountain, just west of Woodstock!
(I do know of a beautiful 4 or 5 bedroom log house airbnb across the dirt road from me. I have no financial interest. If you are looking for a beautiful large place in the forest message me)
Old 07-06-2018, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I will be there if at all possible. Life sometimes gets in the way of....well....life.
Tom, I hope you have as good a time as you did last year!!
Old 07-06-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Tom, I hope you have as good a time as you did last year!!
Ha, I did for sure, hard on the bank account though!!!!

FWIW, about 55 miles from Albany to Woodstock.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Ha, I did for sure, hard on the bank account though!!!!
But what a way to go!
Old 07-06-2018, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

As others have already mentioned, standard lodging (hotels, motels, B&Bs etc.) in Woodstock, NY is fairly limited and due to the show and autumn foliage season in the mountains may be sold out already. Many attendees and exhibitors group together rent private homes within a < 30 minute radius in neighboring Catskill mountain communities. Some also stay in standard lodging down in Kingston as well (a drive, but not too bad). I am sure you can find Air BnB accomodations as well to boot.

Woodstock is about 1 hour from Stewart International Airport, 1:15 from the Albany International Airport and 2:15 from the Newark International Airport. Newark despite being the farthest, is likely is best option for many offer more direct flights. Spending more than a day at the show alows you to meet luthiers, audition instruments, see some concerts and experience the area’s beauty, restaurants etc...

As I mentioned when I posted this thread. WILS is taking a long overdue break next year after 10 sequential years. So if you miss this one, you will need to wait until October 2020.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Newark is probably the easiest to get a fight
Simple typo, or a Freudian slip from someone who's spent too much time at EWR?
Old 07-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Simple typo, or a Freudian slip from someone who's spent too much time at EWR?
As a union carpenter, I spent a lot of time working at Newark Airport. A lot of time doing remodeling overnight. One night as I was moving my equipment into another terminal, there was a limo driver smoking in the vestibule between the two doors. The place was full of a cloud. I told him to go smoke outside and next thing he was up in my face so I nailed him right in the face and his coffee and cig went flying. We were rollin and tomblin and just as he was about to get the better of me, the cops arrived. We were on the floor, covered in coffee and we both looked up at them and said in harmony, like two little kids ''were not fightin, we're old friends and haven't seen each other in years!''. Now if we were fighting, both of us would have been banned from the airport. They sent us in opposite directions but we both ended up in the same bathroom to wash up. Shook hands and became good friends and we would laugh about it all the time!

So yes, Newark Airport is a good place for a fight!!
Old 07-08-2018, 10:28 AM

/Users/baker/Desktop/WILS Poster 2018 w SponsorsFLAT.jpg
Old 07-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Love Woodstock most when it's a little damp and dreary, leaves dropping, a chill in the air, and those iconic pix of The Band on the wall of The Bearsville. Hard to imagine on an 85-degree day here but this getting me psyched. Always my favorite weekend of the year. This year we'll have to make a better effort to ID forum members. So many of you guys who I later find were there but I never got a chance to meet....Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-08-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Love Woodstock most when it's a little damp and dreary, leaves dropping, a chill in the air, and those iconic pix of The Band on the wall of The Bearsville. Hard to imagine on an 85-degree day here but this getting me psyched. Always my favorite weekend of the year. This year we'll have to make a better effort to ID forum members. So many of you guys who I later find were there but I never got a chance to meet....Robert
John Osthoff is going to be there again this year, he has made wooden name tags in the past for AGFers that he would hand out. Caution though, when I went to his booth for a name tag, I got one of those and a Cocobolo OM HAHAHA!!!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:36 AM

Woodstock is a long way from Southern CA! I did go once- about 4 or 5 years ago. It was my introduction to the world of custom guitars and I loved it. Met good people, played such fine instruments.... And now I find that some of my favorite AGFers are going to be there! I might just have to get on a plane! : )
Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 PM

I'm going again this year, all three days.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Benoît Raby Étude classical (2013, Spruce, Indian Rosewood)
Old 07-11-2018, 08:04 AM

I'll be there, doing my Kalamazoo Gals shtick and presenting a display of Banner Gibsons and related WWII-era Gibsonia,
Old 07-11-2018, 09:05 AM

I'm going on Saturday.

Love to sit in the cafe and enjoy the music.

Then we go look at the guitars.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am getting excited for this show. Woodstock is a great time. I hope to start a thread (soon) that will include a couple of builds that I have going for this one.

Quote:
John Osthoff is going to be there again this year, he has made wooden name tags in the past for AGFers that he would hand out. Caution though, when I went to his booth for a name tag, I got one of those and a Cocobolo OM HAHAHA!!!
I would be happy to bring along AGF name tags again, let me just check in with Baker and JR.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop