The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-13-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Yeh, I've watched every episode, many times, and every time I wondered why anyone would waste their time watching that stuff.
I tell myself the same thing every time I catch myself watching a Seinfeld rerun that I’ve seen ten times before and still laugh at it. “NO SOUP FOR YOU!”
Old 10-13-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I tell myself the same thing every time I catch myself watching a Seinfeld rerun that I’ve seen ten times before and still laugh at it. “NO SOUP FOR YOU!”
My wife and I still use the expressions 'man hands' or 'puffy shirt' or 'cinnamon babka' whenever we get the chance.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-14-2018, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
You've never heard of Steve Carrel or the American version of The Office?
No. Why would I?
This thread has sparked my interest, not that I'd watch the remake, because, as already said, I don't enjoy cringemaking humour like that.
apparently the US version of the "Office" has a lot of "product placing" which at a stroke means they's never be screened on a BBC channel, but I doubt that it has been shown in the UK.

I looked at Steve Carroll's "filmography" and saw nothing that is familiar to me.

There are US based TV channels readily available on my SKY box but they tend to be so much more about the ads than the programmes that I lose patience with them, and so avoid them.

There is so much more fine quality programming on BBC and UK commercial channels (like Sky and Channel 4) that I can pick and choose my viewing to material that appeal to me.

For instance I tried to watch an American made history documentary recently but the ad breaks were seven minutes long and so an hour long programme was effectively a 25 minute repetitive summary.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 10-14-2018 at 04:02 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:45 AM

Never underestimate the TV viewing audiences' intelligence or various show popularities. Somebody said something like that but I can't remember who.

Fog
Old 10-14-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
No. Why would I?
This thread has sparked my interest, not that I'd watch the remake, because, as already said, I don't enjoy cringemaking humour like that.
apparently the US version of the "Office" has a lot of "product placing" which at a stroke means they's never be screened on a BBC channel, but I doubt that it has been shown in the UK.

I looked at Steve Carroll's "filmography" and saw nothing that is familiar to me.

There are US based TV channels readily available on my SKY box but they tend to be so much more about the ads than the programmes that I lose patience with them, and so avoid them.

There is so much more fine quality programming on BBC and UK commercial channels (like Sky and Channel 4) that I can pick and choose my viewing to material that appeal to me.

For instance I tried to watch an American made history documentary recently but the ad breaks were seven minutes long and so an hour long programme was effectively a 25 minute repetitive summary.
I'd agree with the crazy amount of commercials here in the states. Having said that, I don't know of a way to watch the Office WITH commercials anymore. It's all on commercial free streaming.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:39 AM

I'm not much of a TV person but enjoyed some of those when my kids watched. Now I catch reruns played from their phones when they do chores.

On the PC or All In The Family comments, I'm seeing interesting stuff at work lately. A vendor team doing a complex project is lead by women and minorities. That was not IT when I got in it decades ago. Internally the company has woman as a director now and minorities in lead positions. This past week I felt a sense of justice backing up the data and deleting the account of someone fired for his completely out of hand behavior over a women becoming a director and a minority his peer. I'm sure that might not have happened in all private companies.

I am guessing there are other good shows I miss but I'm now years into drastically changed habits. For 11 years 1-2 hours that used to be TV watching has become reading, exercise and guitar.

With some travel ahead and a vacation coming what should I watch? What's new that I've missed? We have Netflix, Amazon, Apple and Google if they have the shows.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Relic View Post
Check out David Brent Life on the Road ,it's on Netflix
I went & saw it at the cinema with friend a couple of years ago. It was truly awkward & cringeworthy but given that is Ricky Gervais' MO it worked hilariously well.

I was aware of the US version of The Office but confess to never going out of my way to watch it, mind you I think Steve Carrell is pretty good at his craft too from what I've seen of some of his other work.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 10-15-2018, 11:26 AM

I'm pretty sure that David Koechner (the guy who played Todd Packer) would be crucified, and the people who killed him would be elected to a position of power.

Too much PC culture has obliterated comedy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic