The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-12-2018, 02:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

The Guitar, the Ducati, and I all had a great visit with Ben, and made it it home unscathed. Except for my Bum (Canadian term), for no motorcycle seat seems right after a couple of hours.

I had ordered four Visesnut cases from the manufacturer a couple of weeks ago, and they arrived 20 minutes before I was to leave. So, reader of "signs" that I am, I used one of them for the trip. It is a more basic model that the Visesnuts i had previously bought, and in several ways I prefer it. At about one pound heavier (I don't notice it) it has a more durable surface and an extra latch. Come is just one color, which is pretty close to the perfect shade for industrial duty. It came back from the ride in "as new" condition. Being adjustable inside, it fit the asymmetrical guitar as well as any case could (a functionally perfect fit). As you can see, I did not coddle it.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 10-13-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

I took a couple of Pix today for the Cremona Festival "Magazine/Program". . . or somesuch. The Limba is looking and sounding prretty good to me. Italians like their consonants, I've read.

While I was at it, I took a couple of pictures of Tom's guitar, which has all its finish on it and is patiently curing. It doen't look much different in pictures, but it does in reality.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Two exquisite guitars Bruce...
Old 09-14-2018, 06:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Being down to 2 sets of the good quartered Pernambuco, I was delighted to have a fellow bring a large board by the shop which had been in the hands of a local violin maker for the last 40 years . . . until he died. I spent today milling it, and got a few more sets, though not what I might have due to the depredations of time and poor storage. Here I have pictures of a couple of the sets I got. The first will make up to a 00, and the second will make a whatever.

Second set:

Old 09-14-2018, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful stuff...
Old 09-15-2018, 07:18 AM
Music soothes the soul!

How does the second set tap? Might want to reserve that for mine. Interested in your unvarnished (pun intended) opinion.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Looks great bruce. I was just playing a Sexauer P000 and it sounds awesome.

Denis - you will be delighted.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

In Brazil, Pernambuco is commonly referred to as “the music tree”. This is because if one walks through the jungle with a cudgel whacking on tree trunks until one of them sings back, that will be Pernambuco. So they say. It is certainly true that few woods are in the same ballpark as pernambuco where taptone is concerned, perhaps none at all, it is clear and loud and easily manifested.

This latest acquisition, including set #2, all ring beautifully. That said, my primary reason for having tapped it at all is simply to make sure that there are unlikely to be any cracks in it, as unseen cracks go a long way toward checking good tap response. Size and thickness variation make direct comparison of two pieces for quality of tone quite problematic. Mostly it is or it isn’t, and these are, thankfully, as they were not cheap. I payed dearly AND took the risk that the material might have any number of terminal flaws. So far so good!
Old 09-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

The first set, the 00 size, really caught my eye. Glad you were able to acquire a few more sets.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 09-15-2018, 03:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

All of these sets are within a couple of degrees of perfect quarter at the joining edge, stay within 15 degrees +/- for 4 to 5 inches, and then rollout to about 45 degrees by the outside edge. This 17" wide board appeared to have been one slice off the center cut of the enormous (by Pernambuco standards) tree it was cut from.

These sets are so grain aligned that they appear more perfect than they actually are. But that is a great quality in itself!

The board I resawed them from was cracked exactly in its heart, as has been nearly all P I've seen. Sadly, that P which did not appear to be heart cracked and so i used it, did become so afterward. None of my Pernambuco experience suggests that spontaneous cracking it likely to develop in material under 45 degrees off quarter, so while not actually perfect, these sets look great to me.

By "heart", I mean that point where the wood is dead flat sawn, should that point exist in a given board. Pernambuco is the worst culprit I've encountered in this one way: it apparently MUST not be flatsawn in a guitar.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 09-15-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

There will be an NCAL meeting in my shop this Sunday 9/23/18. The usual thing: 1 pm for a hour’s schmooze, 2 pm meeting ending around 5 pm. The featured presentation will be James May of AudioSprockets, who will demonstrate some of the subtleties of using the ToneDexter, and also will show how to install and tweak his new Pick Up system. All are welcome, especially if they bring snacks and beverages. Show and tell of instrument related work is encouraged.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

I guess it’s not of much general interest, but the NCAL meeting and James May’s presentation were pretty cool. Nearly all the attendees were the more serious builders among NCAL’s personage, and I for one learned a lot about both how to use the ToneDexter (which I assume by now most have heard of) and also James’s new pick up system, which not only sounds exceptionally good, but is very close to feedback proof. He and I worked together to install one in my every day player, and I look forward to improving the lives of others who play out with acoustic guitars.

If any readers are in the greater Bay Area and are not on NCAL’s email list but want to be, just email your request to me and I will put you on the list. We meet roughly every two months, and you don’t HAVE to come. Usually after 2 months I am feeling the meeting is overdue, but YMMV.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

This thread will likely be closed after a very few more posts as it will hit the somewhat arbitrary 300 post limit. So I have started a new thread; Sexauer '18 (chapter 3).
Old 10-13-2018, 09:15 AM

whats the bike Bruce?
brave man
u'r picture takes me back to the '80's - used to carry all sorts behind me - including guitar to jams prob quite illegal from traffic cops point of view.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

That’s my 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S. A couple of weeks ago I visited the MotoGuzzi museum in Mandello da Lario, Italy, and I now have a hankering for another MG, which would be my 4th such in my life. My Ducati is my 11th such out of a total of 46 bikes. as you can see, I do like Italian motorcycles. Mind you, I also currently have a KTM and an Indian.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop