The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-10-2018, 04:11 PM

I have an app called Hiya on my phone. Once you install it, it automatically blocks known spam and robo calls and any calls that you receive that you tell it are spam/junk calls. It usually doesn't even ring, it stops it before I hear a ring. Every once in a while I get one ring and find out it was a blocked call. It saves me a lot of time and frustration. It think it's available for both Android and Iphones.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

I've done many of the more "creative" methods mentioned throughout this thread. I pretend to be a business: restaurant (would you like to hear our specials? would you like to place a take-out order?), Home Depot, etc. The Microsoft support and Sheriff fraud departments are genius, and I'll add those into the rotation. I also tell them that the person is deceased, and that's been effective, or if they mis-pronounce my name, I tell them that they're asking for my cat, dog, etc.

I've done the slow read / stall as long as possible with mixed success, especially with the MS "virus infection" calls, where I repeat everything back to them, but in the form of a question.

Them: go to your web browser.
Me: Web browser?
(they explain what a web browser is, LOL)
(I claim I can't find it)
Them: type in this URL
Me: URL?
etc.

The Robokiller app sounds like fun, if it's effective. The only thing better than slowing these robo-dialers down is recording their frustrated exchanges with an answer bot.

And I was relieved to not receive the national alert last week (maybe the government thinks I'm deceased or a restaurant, LOL), but I was on a video call at work with 30 people in a conference room, when it went off for most of them at once. Sounded like a fire alarm x30!

Last edited by Pura Vida; 10-11-2018 at 01:51 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic