The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

View Poll Results: Should Electric Guitar Player Own a....
Strat-type Guitar 31 44.93%
Tele-type Guitar 40 57.97%
Les Paul-type Guitar 19 27.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2020, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Default What Electric Guitar Type Should Every Electric Guitarist Own?

In the aftermath of my previous thread and given the responses from AGF members, I thought I'd try this as a poll. I'm not going to try to define what a Strat-type, Tele-type or Les Paul-type is in order to allow a certain subjective latitude and wider interpretations. I also allowed for multiple responses from respondents...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-04-2020, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for setting this up!

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 06-04-2020, 05:58 AM

Hard to beat having a Tele, Strat, LP, Gretsch and maybe a Ricky in any collection of electrics...
Old 06-04-2020, 05:59 AM

Can we get an option for all of the above?

I think what determines (mostly) what "style" of electric guitar(s) to own are the pickups and the electric configuration (yes, things like neck, weight, and other attributes definitely factor in as they do with acoustic guitars).

It's like asking whether you should drink ales or lagers, only the classifications roughly fall under 'single coil' or 'humbuckers'. Vintage electric guitars left you with basically those 2 broad "sounds".

The lines are now blurred somewhat in that with the popularity of coil splitters and phase switches teamed up with more advanced pickup designs translate to having the ability to get multiple tones that mimic both generic categories of sound.

The GAS devil whispers that I should own a Les Paul, a Telecaster, a Stratocaster, a PRS, and a hollow body electric like an ES-335.

They all have a unique tone and multiple applications.

Picking only one is too much of a dilemma.

Few things beat the sound of vintage pickup tones (humbucker and single coil) coming through a well-designed tube amp.
Fender Baja Telecaster
Old 06-04-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgherb View Post
How about any of the above or none of the above?
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 06-04-2020, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgherb View Post
As Bob Marley said, "You can't please all the people all the time." But what you can do is vote for all three which ostensibly accomplishes the same thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
How about any of the above or none of the above?
At the risk of stating the obvious, don't vote for any of them or vote for all of them. I wanted to minimize choices. In my mind a poll that offers too many choices, especially of different choice types, loses meaning. I set up the poll so that respondents would either vote for one or more of what I'd consider the three most popular types of solid body electric types or not vote for any of them. Certain G&Ls and other brand guitars would seem to qualify as Strat and Fender "types" while Eastman's newer solid body electrics would seem to qualify as les Paul-type guitars. However, if I failed to zero in on your particular choices, feel free to initiate your own thread with/without a poll....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 06-04-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:08 AM

I subscribed to the idea that you need a few nice acoustics, a few nice electrics, and a few nice basses. I worked really hard and became versatile. Outside of cover bands and young kid metal bands, local scene has been dead for about 5 years.

So....owning zero guitars is about as useful as owning many.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:45 AM
Guitar Gourmet

This is so darn hard. I have spent years in the tone odyssey trying to get the classic sounds for studio work. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and you literally can't have it all in one package.

I might suggest you start with a Les Paul, like I did. If you were looking for a great, full lead sound it would you save you spending your life looking for stacked drive pedals to get sustain from a Fender. Its already there with a good Les Paul, as well as a higher output that tends to punch the amp more easily. The Gibson scale makes for a very slinky, articulate instrument for lead. However, the LP doesn't inherently bring a hyper-bright sound. For that...

If you were wanting a bright, pingy sound I'd suggest either a Tele or Strat. I'd go with a Tele for a stronger, more stable sound and feel and a Strat for you want the out-of-phase latex and quack sounds and the ability to wobble chords. You'd quickly find out that bending on a Strat is a pain. However, once you add gain, both guitars deal with noise induction issues.

Between the LP and the Fenders lie a pair of instruments that might just be the ultimate compromises: the Gibson SG and ES-335. The ES-335 subtracts a bit of the girth of the Les Paul and becomes a little more mid and high-end focused. The SG has even less girth than the ES-335 but also has a gentler midrange. The result is jangle, jangle, jangle. Both the guitars have far less noise than the Fenders when you gain up.

For good examples of all this on live shows, watch Peter Stroud in concert when he backs up Sheryl Crow and Don Henley (Live: Inside Job). He switches to get the right sounds and you can hear it and see it.

Sooooo... You'll need to nail down what exactly you want to focus on before you can get that first and only guitar.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-04-2020, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Although I understand the OP's intent.
And I agree with Bob W. if it's only going to be one ,,, best to really try to decide what type tonal feel you are actually going to want the most

That said it is kind of is like asking if one should get a ?
# 1. sport utility 4 wheel drive
# 2. a convertible
# 3. a motorcycle

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-04-2020, 07:00 AM

needs to be multiple choce, or D: ALL OF THE ABOVE.. cuz IMVHO that's the proper answer...

is it any wonder why I have 17 guitars??
Old 06-04-2020, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Although I understand the OP's intent.
And I agree with Bob W. if it's only going to be one ,,, best to really try to decide what type tonal feel you are actually going to want the most

That said it is kind of is like asking if one should get a ?
# 1. sport utility 4 wheel drive
# 2. a convertible
# 3. a motorcycle
It doesn't have to be just one. The poll allows for 1, 2 or all three choices. FWIW I own a Honda CRV and a Mazda MX5 convertible...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-04-2020, 07:35 AM

I voted for both Strat & Tele types because that's what I have.

For me, having a dual HB guitar is a must, as I play a healthy dose of AC/DC, Santana, The kinks, Green Day, etc. SC guitars will get you close with an OD pedal, but for power and grind you just need HB's for some stuff.

I have 3 "Strat Types" - 2 with SC's and 1 with P90's. My Tele sports dual HB's and is my favorite.

Got nothing against Les Pauls, just haven't played many and don't own one.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-04-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I voted for both Strat & Tele types because that's what I have.

For me, having a dual HB guitar is a must, as I play a healthy dose of AC/DC, Santana, The kinks, Green Day, etc. SC guitars will get you close with an OD pedal, but for power and grind you just need HB's for some stuff.

I have 3 "Strat Types" - 2 with SC's and 1 with P90's. My Tele sports dual HB's and is my favorite.

Got nothing against Les Pauls, just haven't played many and don't own one.
one day you'll grab on to one, plug it in to something like a good Marshall amp and go "OH!! OK! I get it now.."
Old 06-04-2020, 08:57 AM

This guitar which I built maybe 20 years ago now has a split humbucker in the bridge and neck with a single coil in the middle. It has a Fralin blender so I can have bridge and neck pickup on like a Tele mid position.

So this guitar has Les Paul, Strat, AND Tele

Of course it never really sounds like a Strat or Tele but it's close enough. And on top of that it has phase switching too.

She's my #1 and I call her Blondie.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:10 AM

I picked Les Paul. I don't, and have never owned a Les Paul

I just think that if one is going to buy a guitar, and play it exclusively from the beginning of the musical journey to the end, it's an easier road. I much prefer a Strat type, and then a Tele for a close second. But especially early on, when many think of the tone knob as the "set it to 10" knob, a Lester is easier to get an "inspiring" tone that makes you want to play a lot easier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars