The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-29-2020, 04:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Should every electric guitarist own a Stratocaster?

I consider myself first and foremost an acoustic player who has accepted that I like to own an electric for that occasional living room rock session. I recently auditioned an amazing Eastman T386 Blonde semi-hollowbody. I thought it would be an easy guitar to transition to with its acoustic size body and 1 3/4" nut. Well, I was kind of right and kind of wrong. Exit the Eastman which is replaced (actually the UPS driver picked up the Eastman and left my new Fender Robert Cray Strat on the same stop).

Admittedly, my relationship with electrics has been shall we say intermittent, but when it occurs it usually involves either a Strat or a Telecaster. I see these as two iconic electric guitars and wonder if others see the Strat as a de facto element in any electric player's arsenal. I'm zeroing in on the Strat because I see it as a more widely used guitar than the Tele although I know that there are many Telecaster lovers out there...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-29-2020, 04:42 AM

yes, I think so.

and, eventually it should get a telecaster as a sibling
Old 05-29-2020, 05:40 AM

In theory. I have a wild assortment of electric, acoustic, and bass guitars. I'm very versatile. Local scene is dead as a door nail. For many years, I've had a nice Kramer super strat with a splittable humbucker at the bridge and recently picked up an Ibanez AZ2204f, which features an interesting 9 pickup configurations. They get the job done. I have thought about adding a true SSS Strat, but probably no realistic need at this point.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Beware the Telecaster and Stratocaster Mafia for they will answer any question like you've asked with a "yes." That is confirmation bias on wheels.

I've been in this racket for fifty years and have come to the conclusion that unless you own examples of several types you are eventually going to spend a bunch of time beating your head against the wall, trying to get a sound that was achieved with one type out of another. Depend upon it.

I can't tell you how many times I've read a forum discussion that has amounted to a Ford/Chevy debate. It takes the form: "How do I get this sound (Les Paul sustain) from a Strat or how do I get this sound (Strat position two or four) from a Les Paul? You can spend gobs of money on pedals simply trying to get sounds that actually best emanate from your choice of guitar and your fingers.

There is no single solution. I typically go to a recording session with at least three guitars.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-29-2020, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
There is no single solution. I typically go to a recording session with at least three guitars.

Bob
Bob: I guess I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to imply that the Strat would be one's only electric guitar, but that a Strat would be among the electrics that somebody like you who plays a lot of electric guitar would consider an important arrow in his quiver...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-29-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:

I can't tell you how many times I've read a forum discussion that has amounted to a Ford/Chevy debate. It takes the form: "How do I get this sound (Les Paul sustain) from a Strat or how do I get this sound (Strat position two or four) from a Les Paul? You can spend gobs of money on pedals simply trying to get sounds that actually best emanate from your choice of guitar and your fingers.

Bob
"sound" is in the hands, the guitar is just the brush we're painting with at the time.

and yea, I do the same, drag multiple guitars to a recording session. Usually I'm still one short..
Old 05-29-2020, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I consider myself first and foremost an acoustic player who has accepted that I like to own an electric for that occasional living room rock session. I recently auditioned an amazing Eastman T386 Blonde semi-hollowbody. I thought it would be an easy guitar to transition to with its acoustic size body and 1 3/4" nut. Well, I was kind of right and kind of wrong. Exit the Eastman which is replaced (actually the UPS driver picked up the Eastman and left my new Fender Robert Cray Strat on the same stop).

Admittedly, my relationship with electrics has been shall we say intermittent, but when it occurs it usually involves either a Strat or a Telecaster. I see these as two iconic electric guitars and wonder if others see the Strat as a de facto element in any electric player's arsenal. I'm zeroing in on the Strat because I see it as a more widely used guitar than the Tele although I know that there are many Telecaster lovers out there...
Only if you think the answer to this question is a Yes.
"Should every acoustic guitarist own a D28 ?" (Myself the answer is no, I opted for an 810 )

Personally I would like to own a 3 single coil guitar, but it is just as likely to be some other 3 SC as it is a Strat. Currently for me a G&L Comanche is as strong candidate as a Fender American Strato Ultimate

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-29-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Yes, my first "good" electric guitar was a 1975 Strat. I don't have that one anymore, but have a "57 reissue" that I bought in 1989.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:56 AM

Please let me start by saying Telecasters are wonderful guitars. They are competent in any genre they are used in, and completely paramount in others.

That being said, I have always found that Stratocasters were a more “comfortable” guitar to play. And although I prefer maple fretboard Strats, I have an easier time still on a rosewood or ebony fretboard model.

As everything else in this world, you will find what is right for you.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Nah - get a Tele....the only electric you'll ever need.....but I am a little biased......

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 05-29-2020, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Beware the Telecaster and Stratocaster Mafia for they will answer any question like you've asked with a "yes." That is confirmation bias on wheels.
I resent this sir. I'm a "made guy" in the Stratocaster Mafia, have spend time as a Don and consigliere. And I says "it depends on what you like"...

I'm a strat guy. I don't really need anything else for what I play with an electric guitar. Every other electric guitar I've owned I was able to happily live without after I offloaded it (although I can't seem to fully let go of the perverted desire to have SOMETHING with P90s in it for those rare moments when a change of pace seems warranted). But I always have to have a strat. During the very few short times I didn't have one, I was more or less in physical withdrawal. It was hell...

But, hey, no accounting for taste and all that, some people just don't like them. I'm not sure how I got on to the same planet with these people, but they exist and they have rights too! I personally think the strat 2 & 4 positions are exactly how god intended electric guitars to sound, but he forgot to tell his prophet Leo, because it took 20 years for Fender to start including a five-way switch to make those amazing tones easily available. And yet, some people find those sounds to be an abomination. And I must find a way to respect that opinion even as I am fully horrified by it.

I just sold a PRS Silver Sky, which in some ways is the greatest strat ever made, but in other ways is not all that strat-like - it sounded too full, too throaty, too even, too balanced. All of which made it great but dadgumit, it made it sound like something other than a strat. So I'm back to my lowly Robert Cray Hardtail strat, which has been my #1 for nearly the whole time since I started playing a lot again about three years ago. I've tried a number of fancier more expensive strat-like objects, but they've all fallen by the wayside and the Cray Hardtail stands tall.

Play what you like. Life's too dang short not to, and it seems as though it's getting shorter every day... If you like strats, play 'em. If you don't, then don't.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 05-29-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:47 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Bob: I guess I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to imply that the Strat would be one's only electric guitar, but that a Strat would be among the electrics that somebody like you who plays a lot of electric guitar would consider an important arrow in his quiver...
Absolutely important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
and yea, I do the same, drag multiple guitars to a recording session. Usually I'm still one short..
Probably always will be... with any luck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Personally I would like to own a 3 single coil guitar, but it is just as likely to be some other 3 SC as it is a Strat. Currently for me a G&L Comanche is as strong candidate as a Fender American Strato Ultimate
Mine is a 1999 G&L S-500. Studio-ready tones right out of the box. It did need a good set-up to really come alive.
I've also got a super Strat, but I sometimes long for that alder/maple sound. I traded one of those and miss it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I resent this sir. I'm a "made guy" in the Stratocaster Mafia, have spend time as a Don and consigliere. And I says "it depends on what you like"...

I'm a strat guy. I don't really need anything else for what I play with an electric guitar. Every other electric guitar I've owned I was able to happily live without after I offloaded it (although I can't seem to fully let go of the perverted desire to have SOMETHING with P90s in it for those rare moments when a change of pace seems warranted). But I always have to have a strat. During the very few short times I didn't have one, I was more or less in physical withdrawal. It was hell...

So I'm back to my lowly Robert Cray Hardtail strat, which has been my #1 for nearly the whole time since I started playing a lot again about three years ago. I've tried a number of fancier more expensive strat-like objects, but they've all fallen by the wayside and the Cray Hardtail stands tall.

Play what you like. Life's too dang short not to, and it seems as though it's getting shorter every day... If you like strats, play 'em. If you don't, then don't. -Ray
You seem like a really reasonable guy. I don't think I would refer to you as a member of the "Mafia." Those are the ones who argue the superiority of those Fenders and the lack of need for any other instrument in the galaxy. It's one thing to be an aficionado like you and another thing entirely to be a hard-core fanboy convinced of the exclusivity and purity of his ax of choice. I think I'd like a Cray hard tail. I love to grab the wiggle bar and wobble chords on the straight stretches but nothing beats a hard tail in the bends.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-29-2020, 08:30 AM

I am shocked. Shocked! that the OP would suggest that only ONE STRAT is sufficient.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-29-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I've never been big on Strats, although plenty of people have made it sound amazing, ie Hendrix, Knophler...

That said, I do have a Strat pickup in the neck position of my California Telecaster (It came that way)
Old 05-29-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
yes, I think so.

and, eventually it should get a telecaster as a sibling
Ditto.

Seriously though, pretty much every guitarist I know either owns a Stratocaster or has owned one at some point in their lifetime and as much as I love Telecasters (my Tele gets a lot of love), I think the Stratocaster is the more iconic of the two guitars. (If not the most iconic and copied electric guitar on the planet).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars