The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 AM

Default Any dyslexic/ADHD players out there?

I guess the purpose of this thread it to gain some knowledge of learning disabilities and learning/playing guitar. I am somewhat dyslexic and have also been diagnosed with ADHD. This in itself seems to me a cruel joke as many people who are dyslexic hate acronyms. I was wondering what other guitarists do to combat these issues. I can learn songs from tab, sometimes I just get frustrated with all the numbers and letters and give up. Usually I make it though however. Tried learning treble clef but that was a nightmare. I guess I learn best by listening and playing but I need to do that more. I'v been practicing lately by noodling around and linking notes to chords. I think I am going somewhere but not really sure where. One of my thoughts was by understanding the fret board I could circumvent the whole written learning thing.
Its like there is an interface of communication then actual playing. My interface is @#%$ so I figured just focus on the music. I always think of Jimi Hendrix and how they say he didn't understand music, ha! Just interested to see what folks thought.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
...I guess I learn best by listening and playing but I need to do that more. I'v been practicing lately by noodling around and linking notes to chords. I think I am going somewhere but not really sure where. One of my thoughts was by understanding the fret board I could circumvent the whole written learning thing.
Hi wf...

I have a close friend who is ADHD as is his son, and both have found music very cathartic, and a great outlet. The son plays flute well, and the dad is a guitarist.

Dad doesn't do much more than a lyric sheet with chords jotted above, and the son reads scores just fine. They are quite different in how they process information and translate it to music, and each has found what works for him.

Hope you do the same…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 AM

I am adult ADHD,, dyclexia is very slight,, too slight to effect guitar playing,,
it does effect my typing slightly,
ADHD effects my playing,,, its hard to finish a piece all the way through
without getting impatient and start playing something else.
after 40 years,i still dont get music theory,, which is not rocket science
but even the circle of fifths.. i get it and lose it every year.
When i do perform, which is rare these days.. i will go out of my
way to play slowly and finish the piece,, even though , any mistakes
are due to distraction.. its a shame,,, im actually a pretty skilled picker
when my brain does not interfere.

Rick
Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 AM

Thanks for your responses. Ultimately it seems I need to find a "work around." Its true we process information differently. And yes it is difficult to finish songs sometimes, hard I think for anyone to understand. Its not intentional I some how just lose interest. Maybe just making my own music is a key. A key to learning and a key to having fun. Anyone who's got this I just wish the best of luck.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:01 PM

I am slighlty dislexic, but it's limited to letter recognition with certain pairs. So it doesn't affect notes on the page for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write