The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-21-2009, 08:26 PM

Default Working on a song...

I'm a terrible guitar player (bass player by trade [upright and electric]). But have always wanted to play better guitar so I can play with my wife. I do pretty well with Cash-esque Country-Western shuffles, but thats about the only strumming pattern I can manage.

So I thought I would pick some music I enjoy with a touch more fingerpicking and different strumming, but I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I am working on this tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE7rkSELM3I

I think I have the chords right (C-Am-G-F in different progressions), but can't seem to put it together in any semblance of the song (I realize there are 2 guitars on the recording, but in their live performances they only use one - this is a pretty good live recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVwk1...eature=related ). Maybe its because the singing/chord changes are somewhat a-rhythmical, but I just can't seem to get any type of fingerpicking-strumming combination that sounds anything like what he plays.

Its driving me crazy.

I have the chord shapes under my fingers, I just can't seem to put it all together. Would love to hear any and all suggestions folks may have (with the limited information about my "problem" that I can give).

As a side note, that Gibson in the video does it for me (SJ I believe?) maybe if I play my wife's guitar enough I can get that acquisition approved...
Old 06-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Very easy song so you will have it in no time, just:
1. get the rhythm of the first few notes down.
2. make sure you bring out all the melody notes (including those falling on the inner strings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-21-2009, 10:17 PM

The fact that I know its a simple song is what's driving me crazy - I should be able to play it, its within my skill set. It just isn't clicking.

Luckily the wife took her guitar back for the night, so I can't beat my head against it anymore right now.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Its ba de da da, ba de da da, ba de da da. Slow travis picking. Get the beat in your head and just do the bass strings first, then try adding the trebles and hum the song. Or just do the bass and then strum the trebles on the de da da beats. Same thing just about if you're singing along with it. This is a fine example of what I hate about the acoustic guitar at times. You get a guy like Derek (rick-slo, above ) who can play circles around 99% of the world and then you get guys like in the video who has girls screaming at his concerts and he's playing a really crappy easy song, imo***, LOL.

*** I play instrumental stuff, can't sing a note without killing a bystander, LOL.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-22-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
This is a fine example of what I hate about the acoustic guitar at times. You get a guy like Derek (rick-slo, above ) who can play circles around 99% of the world and then you get guys like in the video who has girls screaming at his concerts and he's playing a really crappy easy song, imo***, LOL.
At least they are playing instruments - its the folks who don't play, don't write, and can't sing that really get me.

I know what you mean, though. The best players I have ever heard will never be famous.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write