The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-03-2008, 08:00 AM

Default Want Alternate Tuning Tabs, Please / Good Ones to Learn On....

Hello to all:

I would appreciate some ideas on this subject. I'd like to get into some alternate tunings - starting with the more "common" ones like DADGAD for fingerstyle; and Dropped D, Open D, Open G, for Country Blues.

Can anyone recommend a good web site - that would have tabs that a person new to alternate tunings - might use to get started?

Thanks in advance.... As always, the advice and input here on the AGF is great and very much appreciated.

Peace,
Taylorplayer
Old 05-05-2008, 03:55 AM

Default Thought....

Have you thought about getting some materials from Mark Hanson?

www.accentonmusic.com

He wrote the book "A Complete Book Of Alternate Tunings". His books also have some alternate tuning songs in them.

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 05-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyjack View Post
Have you thought about getting some materials from Mark Hanson?

www.accentonmusic.com

He wrote the book "A Complete Book Of Alternate Tunings". His books also have some alternate tuning songs in them.
Hi CJ...
Mark does have some good material. So does Al Petteway. Over at Acoustic Music Resource there is a DVD of his which is including a CDr with the notation & TAB for all the songs.

It has some really fun tunes on it...

Al's DVD - click

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

If you have Windows you are in luck. Tons of tabs here in alternate tunings. They are not organized that way so you have to browse.
http://www.tabopolis.com/index.php/tab/show/id/21388
http://www.acousticpower.com/index.html
Another site for Celtic tunes is http://www.celticguitartalk.com/phpBB/
Have fun.
Rick

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-06-2008, 02:04 PM

Default I like EEEEBe...

...it's an easy one but you do have to tune up a bit. I dedicate my American Acoustech to this tuning and she is fine; just a little truss rod adjustment and all is well. Think 4&20, Carry On and Suite: Judy Blue Eyes; I call it the CSN tuning. It has a nice drone to it, easy to slide, easy to find runs on, and is great for a higher vocal range. I am in the Nash range so it suits me just fine. A beautiful tuning if you don't mind the extra tension. You can find tabs for the aformentioned songs all over the web or just pick up the big CSN Anthology (essential learning for summer cookouts in my family). DADDAd is another fun tuning to mess around with, nice for slide, and no one really uses it (well, maybe Mike Doughty); no tabs come to mind but you can one finger barre out chords anywhere, all strings (now that's easy). Keep the faith!

Harley's Alternate Chord Charts...it helps to know some chords to go along with those tunings and his charts are easy to read, sorted by key, printable and...mmm free!
http://www.personainternet.com/harleys/tunings.html

"In the trail of the barge and the light upon the brine he slaked these thoughts and the forces undivided
singing don't fall through the stars, don't fall through them..." Grey Ghost ~ Mike Doughty

Last edited by ForcesUndivided; 05-06-2008 at 02:20 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell