The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-02-2020, 10:21 PM

Default Waltz by my 7 year old

Suzuki Guitar Book 3 - Waltz

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-02-2020 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Fixed link for you
Old 08-03-2020, 05:43 AM

Bravo! Excellent, keep it up, you are awesome.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 08-03-2020, 05:48 AM

Well done!
Old 08-03-2020, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Outstanding! Gonna be a good one. I'm impressed.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:56 PM

I'm guessing your son was born with a guitar already in his hands.

Very impressive.

I've got an 8 year old daughter and all I've managed to teach her is a C chord on a ukulele.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:55 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I’m 64, have been playing for 44 years, and you already play better than me, young man! Just curious...do you plan to sing at some point or stick to instrumental fingerstyle?
Old 08-04-2020, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Bravo, young man. You have a bright musical future ahead of you. Keep playing.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:07 PM

Fantastic!
Old 08-05-2020, 01:15 PM

Thank you all .. am overwhelmed with the response. My son read all these comments and he is happy and I'm so proud. *teary eye*
Old 08-05-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
I'm guessing your son was born with a guitar already in his hands.

Very impressive.

I've got an 8 year old daughter and all I've managed to teach her is a C chord on a ukulele.
My son started when he is couple months shy of 6, and I had him enrolled for classes that teach the Suzuki learning method. Since then he has put 15-30 mins daily into practice. In retrospect I feel the routine helped him get better at it than anything else

As 1-1 classes are currently not possible, we are recording our learnings and experimenting with electric guitar on the side
Old 08-05-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
Bravo, young man. You have a bright musical future ahead of you. Keep playing.
thank you for the kind words
Old 08-05-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I’m 64, have been playing for 44 years, and you already play better than me, young man! Just curious...do you plan to sing at some point or stick to instrumental fingerstyle?
Thank you 'Acousticado', your encouragement means a lot to us. My son is shy and he doesn't want to sing, I have been following some of the work here on this amazing forum ... like 'Better Boat' rendition, guitar with a great voice is just magical. I hope I can encourage him to sing showing some of the work here.
Thank you again
Old 08-05-2020, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Wow! Bravo!

That is some impressive playing for any age! Great tone, very good timing -- well done in every direction!

Book 3 already! That's wonderful! Good for your son!

- Glenn
Old 08-06-2020, 08:13 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkcrux View Post
Thank you 'Acousticado', your encouragement means a lot to us. My son is shy and he doesn't want to sing, I have been following some of the work here on this amazing forum ... like 'Better Boat' rendition, guitar with a great voice is just magical. I hope I can encourage him to sing showing some of the work here.
Thank you again
In case no one has suggested to your son that the voice is an instrument that can be learned and improved just like the guitar he is constantly getting better at, perhaps share this fact with him.

It is a special feeling to fill one’s lungs with air and utilize them, the throat and mouth as components of the instrument that when the vocal output is blended with the sounds emanating from his guitar, it can be a beautiful synergy.

If he thinks he can’t sing well enough or can’t yet handle the multitask of it, assure him that his voice can evolve akin to his guitar playing. He can start just by humming. Singing isn’t for everyone...some prefer to focus entirely on the intricacies of the guitar (piano, etc.), but if the inner desire is there, it should be encouraged to come out, at least to try.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
In case no one has suggested to your son that the voice is an instrument that can be learned and improved just like the guitar he is constantly getting better at, perhaps share this fact with him.

It is a special feeling to fill one’s lungs with air and utilize them, the throat and mouth as components of the instrument that when the vocal output is blended with the sounds emanating from his guitar, it can be a beautiful synergy.

If he thinks he can’t sing well enough or can’t yet handle the multitask of it, assure him that his voice can evolve akin to his guitar playing. He can start just by humming. Singing isn’t for everyone...some prefer to focus entirely on the intricacies of the guitar (piano, etc.), but if the inner desire is there, it should be encouraged to come out, at least to try.
I’m sure he will find his way with that kind of talent. Since I started playing in 2013, I have followed a young man named Quentin Callewert who I had the good fortune to meet and “hang with” at a Tommy Emmanuel guitar camp in 2015. The OP’s son might want to check out Quentin’s website as there are videos posted that track Quentin from when he is 6-7 years old to where he is now at 19 years old and like your son he started by playing classical guitar. Quentin has become a great singer and he was active in a school choir so perhaps if there is shyness about singing, that might be a path to bring out the “inner” singer (if it wants to come out). His website address is quentinguitar.com. If you reach out to him, he is always pretty good about responding back.

I’m sure this talented lad will find lots of guitar hero’s to emulate. Sungha Jung certainly comes to mind also. I look forward to hearing more from him.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 08-09-2020 at 07:56 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell