The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-15-2020, 11:08 PM

Default Inverted Chords Hendrix Style

So today i've really knuckled in and started looking at how to play Hendrix style Inverted major chords where you use the third as the base note instead of the root and start working on adding in little licks and embellishments. I feel like it's opened up an entire new world for me to explore. i've always wanted to really play this hendrix style stuff and it feels great that i've found something worthwhile digging my heels into for a while.

I can't really play anything concrete yet in this style apart from the chord progression for Hey Joe, im mostly just trying to be able to switch between chords then invert them and add licks...

What other hendrix type stuff do you guys like to jam? and what other little bits and pieces could I add to playing inverted chords?
Old 06-16-2020, 08:51 AM

Yeah, inversions... any inversions are cool. Another trick that works better on electric, to play quick phrases with chords, is to not play the root on a barred A chord. If you play the chord fairly quickly, you can't tell the root is missing. So you just barre the bottom 4 strings and usually mute the high e.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

Last edited by robj144; 06-16-2020 at 09:50 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars