The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-15-2020, 06:38 PM

Default Yamaha SA2200 sold in US without case?

Seems like an ill-advised marketing strategy. And there are no measurements on their website, so. Anyone dealt with this? What are folks using for cases? I tried to email Yamaha but that seems impossible. Such an unnecessary hassle, IMO.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I bought one last year and they do seem to be selling without a case I believe world wide actually. Mine had a case with it already as it was a Yamaha sales reps that was then being sold. Very nice guitars.

The case that mine came with was a gator case.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:17 PM

I think they still sell with cases in Europe. I've been nosing around the interwebs and some have suggested that they may be discontinuing them, either that or they haven't made any for awhile and are selling off old stock before they make another production run. I wish my local GC store was open. I could probably niggle them down some. Hate to spend $2K on something unseen or played. I could get a ES-339 for about the same price or cheaper.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

I really liked the neck on mine. It's different than many of semi hollow 335. Also really liked the jumbo fret work and the tone. The neck is a bit on the thinner side for a 335 style guitar.

They really are a very nice instrument, but I would say not for everyone. I sold mine to a friend who absolutely loves it. The only reason I sold is I found the weight was too much for my taste. I play with a strap almost all the time and mine came in a touch over 8 lbs.

It holds its own in that price range against most of what it will go up against. However, there are a lot of nice guitars in that range. When I tried it in the store vs heritage gretsch and a few others in a similar price range it came home with me as my clear favorite but everyone has their own tastes.

I've recently picked up a Hollow (chambered) Tom Anderson that I actually find works better for me all around both in tone and it comes in right at 6lbs.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:12 AM

That price range is full of choice. I’m also considering the Korean D’Angelicas. Not sure about the fingerboard, Pau Ferro? Have To try it out.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

They are great guitars. And yes, perhaps a bit heavy for a semi-hollow but they are really well built, and versatile.

Mine is in a Hiscox case, which I found to be the perfect solution for about $200.

I didn’t really care for the recent Yamaha cases. I ordered the exact one for the SA2200 and found it lightly built (flimsy almost) and it had a malfunctioning latch. Sent it back for a refund and bought the Hiscox for about $50 more. Wise decision, in retrospect.

The Yamaha cases from the 70’s/80’s SA 2000 were much better built.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars