The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-13-2020, 10:22 PM

Any of these come close to an ES-335? Seems like a way to dip my toe without getting drenched.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:29 AM

Similar handling characteristics but lighter weight (~7 - 7-1/2 lbs.) and the expected "Great Gretsch Sound" - crisp, clear, with that unmistakable upper-midrange response that only a Gretsch can get; if you're serious I'd grab one of the Korean 5622's @ GC now, while the getting is good - you're not going to find anything near the quality for anything near the price ($599), and the 2020 Chinese versions don't even come close...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 06-14-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
That's one of the early MIK 5000-Series E-Matics, with the first-generation Broad'tron pickups as OEM (why Gretsch chose to revive them on their current MIC 5600's - albeit in quasi-Filter'tron livery - is beyond me); shame it's not the orange one - those Guitar Fetish Surf 90's give it a nice '57-58 transition-era 6120 vibe with the Neo-Classic fingerboard, and I'm sure the retrofit did wonders for your tone...
Man, you pretty much nailed it with these observations!

I picked this black one up used at GC for a great price, so I didn't have the option to get the orange..

I did put the Surf 90's in, though. Those stock Gretschbuckers were muddy...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars