The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

JP PBs seem to be a favourite for the chaps on the Collings forum ... Collings seem to be seen (heard?) as bright, and JPs are rather warm, so that figures.

Martin guys like Marin strings ... I have been experimenting with a batch of Martin SPs, which seem to me a tad trebly ... and Martins tend to have a bass biass ... figures.

I play mainly Collings plus a Santa Cruz and a Martin 12 string ... I'm sticking with D'addario which I feel sound right in the middle of JPs and Martins.

JPs are still sold in non hermetically sealed packing so can arrive corroded, and tend to cost more.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:39 PM

Funny how different we can all be.

JP PB's just seemed ordinary on my guitars - not bad but nothing that made me want to try them again.

Then I tried their Baritone Light Gauge 80/20's on my ABT-60 and really liked how they cleaned up the sound on that guitar.

Then I tried their Silk & Bronze on another guitar and really like them.

Thirdly, I followed Wade Hampton's recommendation and tried their Pure Nickels on my maple H&D MJ Custom and they sound superb.

So I guess that although I don't use their PB's I'm certainly enjoying some of their other strings.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-26-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

My big issue was that they die so quickly. I tried the PBs.

How long do their pure nickels last?
Old 05-26-2019, 05:51 PM

The John Pearse Pure Nickel strings last the longest of any of their string alloys. I typically keep them on those guitars that I string with them for six months.

Nickel strings in general seem to be the longest-lasting non-coated strings you can get, and the John Pearse version is a perfect example of that.

whm
Old 05-26-2019, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
My big issue was that they die so quickly. I tried the PBs.

How long do their pure nickels last?
I currently have them on two of my acoustic guitars. I changed them out at the same time a month ago. So far they show no sign of loss of tone or tuning instability.

JP Pure Nickels normally last about 3-4 months for me before it becomes necessary to replace them. PBs last about 2 months. The Pure Nickels also stretch and stabilize very quickly when new. Martin Retro Monel strings also stretch and stabilize quickly for me. The Pearse Pure Nickels are a bargain.

Keep in mind I have 5 guitars that I play consistently, at home. These 5 get played at least every other day. I play about 3-4 hours per day.

I do not have hand chemistry that destroys strings. I do not wipe down my guitars and strings after every playing session either.

As a comparison to other brands, EJ D'Addario non-coated PBs wear out fastest for me, but I like them on some of my guitars.

I have enough invested in nice guitars and their tone that strings are a small price to pay for the satisfaction I get from playing great sounding guitars. Why not get their potential out of them?
Old 05-26-2019, 09:34 PM

Fantastic strings. I love the PB's.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 05-26-2019, 09:39 PM

I love em' too. I have New Medium 80/20 on my D Jr. and they sound glorious. Such a rich top end shimmer and bring out the brightness that guitar needs. They also sound good on CF for that matter. I'm thinking of trying the pure nickels

I'm a fan
Old 05-27-2019, 09:00 AM

I too am a JP fan, both for my Collings and Gibson. I haven't found they have exceptionally long life, but hold up as well as others. I did just put some Martin Authentics (are these new?) on my Gibson and am really impressed. I only had the one set, so some JP's are going on the Collings, but Ill try a set of the Authentics on that soon also.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 05-28-2019, 06:21 PM

Talking

I tried the rest
But use only the best
JP 600L
Seagull s 12
Ovation 1517 s
Old 11-23-2019, 02:05 PM

Old-thread-bump ...

I’ve lately been experimenting with and quite digging John Pearse PBS on my Yairi. Hunting around on Strings and Beyond, I notice JP also makes electric strings in my preferred hybrid gauges (9-46). Have any of y’all tried their electric strings? Are they as good as their acoustic ones?
Old 11-23-2019, 04:50 PM

draelyc, I’m not an electric guitarist, but the gentleman who plays bass in a group that I lead is the lead guitarist in another. I turned him on to John Pearse electric strings and he likes them.

So they’re worth a try.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-23-2019, 04:58 PM

JP's are on sale @ Juststrings until months end.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I’ve been a fan of John Pearse strings ever since I first discovered them in the mid-1980’s. Prior to that I had been using GHS Bright Bronze strings on my Mossman dreadnought, which lasted me two weeks a set. The John Pearse 80/20’s lasted me six weeks a set. Plus they made the guitar sound the best it ever had.

John decided to make me an artist endorser about twenty years ago now, but I’d been using his strings almost exclusively for some fifteen years at that point: not just on guitar, but on mandolin, mountain dulcimer and banjo, as well.

I try out other brands of strings now and then just to stay current with what’s on the market, but John Pearse strings remain my overwhelming preference.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks to your recommendations years ago on AGF I tried the John Pearse strings and they too are my favorite string. The ones I use are medium lights in phosphor bronze. I have them on all 4 of my guitars, and they sound super on them all. I play roughly 30 minutes a day 4-5 days a week and change strings about every 3 months now. When I only had one guitar I would change strings about every 3-4 weeks, as they do sound great when fresh. I have some D'Addarios in the house and will probably either use them or donate them to another player. I did lots of "trying out" of strings, but still favor the JP's. Glad you like them Paul
Old 11-23-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
draelyc, I’m not an electric guitarist, but the gentleman who plays bass in a group that I lead is the lead guitarist in another. I turned him on to John Pearse electric strings and he likes them.

So they’re worth a try.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks, Wade! I’d thought about pm’ing you w/this question. Much appreciated!
Old 11-23-2019, 06:04 PM

Happy to help.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion