The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 AM

Great Job Steve. Love the song and the meaning of the words in the lyrics. Thanks for sharing.

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs
Old 05-11-2012, 09:34 AM

Nicely played Steve - I enjoyed your singing and playing.

This is a song I teach to my class (I am a primary school teacher) whenever I do a project on Australia - I always spend time explaining the words.

The tune was used to great effect throughout Stanley Kramer's film of "On the Beach" - particulalrly the ending showing the deserted streets of Melbourne.

David
Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Here's a link to my instrumental version of Waltzing Matilda, from my most recent CD.

This version was arranged to reflect the somber nature of the song, unlike most renditions which are perky & uptempo.
Hi Larry,

Thanks for listening and thanks for posting your video. It is a nice rendition - you've achieved the somber timbre nicely. It's nice.

Steve
Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
Actually, I understand that a "waltzing matilda" is a sack on a stick carried over one's shoulder hobo style. But I'm not an Aussie either. One thing is for sure, I've always loved that song. I have it in my short stack of tunes for practice and learning on the guitar right now. I've sung and played it since I was a kid. I remember being asked to sing my favorite song while participating in a group several years back, and "Waltzing Matilda" just sprang from my lips!
Thanks for listening, George.

You should post your version here when you're done, I'd love to hear it!

I believe 'matilda' is the swagman's bundle - like you say, 'a sack on a stick'. The phrase 'waltzing matilda' is travelling by foot with a matilda slung over your back. Of course, this is based on web searching not from first-hand knowledge

Steve
Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerzj View Post
Cool choice of song. Appreciate the history lesson you give that goes along with the song and helping understand the language....cool idea. Your playing and singing are coming along nicely, the Rainsong sounds terrific.....thanks for sharing.
Thanks for listening and for the encouragement. I really enjoy the Rainsong, too. It's naturally too 'shimmery' in the trebles for my taste, but with some well-aged, uncoated 80/20 strings - it's great!

Steve
Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscobie8 View Post
Very nice, Steve. The translations/lyrics were a nice bonus after hearing the song (mostly instrumentals) many times. Always good to get a little music history lesson with this stuff, as I'm sure you're getting. I know during my SOTW journey I was discovering things left and right. All part of the fun.

Thanks for sharing!

Bel isi,
-kyle
Hi Kyle,

This song never made any sense to me for all these years - until I came to understand the story.

It has been alot of fun discovering new music and new artists. I find the backstories very interesting. It helps me put the music into context and gives me a better feel for it.

Thanks for checking in....

Steve
Old 05-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbyguy View Post
Great Job Steve. Love the song and the meaning of the words in the lyrics. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for listening, Ed. Glad you liked it.

Steve
Old 05-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl View Post
Nicely played Steve - I enjoyed your singing and playing.

This is a song I teach to my class (I am a primary school teacher) whenever I do a project on Australia - I always spend time explaining the words.

The tune was used to great effect throughout Stanley Kramer's film of "On the Beach" - particulalrly the ending showing the deserted streets of Melbourne.

David
Thanks for listening, David - glad you enjoyed it.

I'll bet your kids never forget about Australia, eh!. I'll have to check out the movie, don't remember having seen it.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell