The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

View Poll Results: Most natural pickup sound
Yes, it captures the guitar's tone 5 45.45%
It sounds like any other Saddle pickup 0 0%
Sounds like a microphone 1 9.09%
would not be caught dead play through a pickup 5 45.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2024, 05:46 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Default natural pickup sound

This is an amplified classical guitar sound through a Go Acoustic Audio system.

The guitar is plugged into a fender deluxe amp.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mSY...ew?usp=sharing

I tried to attach a poll but we will see if it shows up.

Last edited by conecaster; 02-13-2024 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:10 AM

"Unable to play video at this time. The number of allowed playbacks has been exceeded"
Old 02-13-2024, 08:02 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
"Unable to play video at this time. The number of allowed playbacks has been exceeded"
This is a google drive video

I just played it so not sure why you would get that message

If there are other unable to player it please let me know.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

I got the same message as Dogsnax.
You briefly see someone about to play, and then it cuts out to that message when clicking on Play.

Edit: I figured it out. You have to be signed in to a Google account in order for the video to play.

I think the pickup sounds fine for what it's doing. I wouldn't call it "natural" though. It still lacks too much of the warmth that a classical can produce imo, and which the ears are used to hear, especially in a familiar piece like the Canon. It's too "trebly" in some spots.
It's a tough nut to crack. Maybe try it through a different amp or PA?
You could probably get away with it at a wedding or something, but I feel that you would still get a better sound with a straight classical and a separate mic.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

Last edited by Gitfiddlemann; 02-13-2024 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Tried the video again a different way
Old 02-13-2024, 08:51 AM

I think it sounded great.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:57 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I don't hear much "quackiness" that I usually hear with amplified nylons.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-14-2024, 06:09 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

<<I figured it out. You have to be signed in to a Google account in order for the video to play.>>

Thank you for that knowledge. I have the Video set for open access in my Drive. It should not be doing that. I email videos all the time to people and there has never been an issue with logging into a Google account.

This must be another programming issue with this forum. Posting videos and pictures here is a real cluster %#$!.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:14 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I don't hear much "quackiness" that I usually hear with amplified nylons.
No, there is not the typical quacky sound of a PZT pickup. I think considering it is recorded with an Iphone and played through a Fender deluxe Electric guitar amp the sound is really good. I think the richness of the classical guitar is well represented. There is no amplified mike in this recording.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:34 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
I got the same message as Dogsnax.
You briefly see someone about to play, and then it cuts out to that message when clicking on Play.

Edit: I figured it out. You have to be signed in to a Google account in order for the video to play.

I think the pickup sounds fine for what it's doing. I wouldn't call it "natural" though. It still lacks too much of the warmth that a classical can produce imo, and which the ears are used to hear, especially in a familiar piece like the Canon. It's too "trebly" in some spots.
It's a tough nut to crack. Maybe try it through a different amp or PA?
You could probably get away with it at a wedding or something, but I feel that you would still get a better sound with a straight classical and a separate mic.

You know, the word "Natural" is a multi headed spear.

There are many factors to the perception but here are my points of interest that I find most relative to playing an amplified guitar. I think these points are as important as any when considering what is natural generally and not any one singular issue.

1) response to technique. Does the system allow you to be a complete guitarist and exploit your input and touch.

2) Feedback, can you play to a crowd of a 1000 people at a vol level that reaches everyone.

3) dynamics, can use of an amplifier make your input as a guitarist more accessible and easier to project.

4) head room, Guitarist want acoustic guitars that deliver more sound with greater input, does the Pickup system distort and lose its tonal quality if really played hard.

Here is a video of a very well known act in South America, Kala Marka, using Go Acoustic Audio live in a major venue. The video I posted was the very first single saddle pickup I ever installed. There was a lot to be improved, the concept was proven but the overall had a few issues to resolve in the preamp.

our later versions have an internal mike. This is an example, although this is not a full depth classical guitar.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:53 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

this is another recording done back in 2019 by the brilliant Steve Oliver.

This was a track off a project called "unified" with composer Brian Simpson.

the guitar is a standard Cordoba classical.

He is playing through individual Graphtech pickups, there is no internal mike in the guitar. its recorded direct from the pickup system without ambient mikes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-HF...ew?usp=sharing

Steve uses a lot of nail. but he is competing in the track against a piano. It requires presence.

Then there is this example by Walter Rodrigues.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:25 AM
Musical minimalist

In order to get a better idea of the pickups sound, it would be helpful to hear the guitar without the pickup first.

Your instrument appears to be either maple or cypress back and sides which would be a "different animal" to start with.

Maybe a video A/B amplified and unamplified would help us give you better feedback.

I also agree using an electric amp doesn't give the best reproduction of amplified sound.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:44 PM
Go Acoustic Audio

Some things have to be experienced.

We did not record these videos

They are a good example of what can be done.

Of course as soon as we record with a mike acoustically there is the question of how that us dine.

It is what it is

There is a steel string thread under the amplification heading

Looks like you are a steel string guitarist?

There are steel string AB videos on the thread
Old 02-15-2024, 07:40 AM

I didn't vote because the options don't fit my impression. I think it sounds better than most saddle pickups and in the direction of sounding like an acoustic guitar. Somewhere between.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conecaster View Post
You know, the word "Natural" is a multi headed spear.

There are many factors to the perception but here are my points of interest that I find most relative to playing an amplified guitar. I think these points are as important as any when considering what is natural generally and not any one singular issue.

1) response to technique. Does the system allow you to be a complete guitarist and exploit your input and touch.

2) Feedback, can you play to a crowd of a 1000 people at a vol level that reaches everyone.

3) dynamics, can use of an amplifier make your input as a guitarist more accessible and easier to project.

4) head room, Guitarist want acoustic guitars that deliver more sound with greater input, does the Pickup system distort and lose its tonal quality if really played hard.

Here is a video of a very well known act in South America, Kala Marka, using Go Acoustic Audio live in a major venue. The video I posted was the very first single saddle pickup I ever installed. There was a lot to be improved, the concept was proven but the overall had a few issues to resolve in the preamp.

our later versions have an internal mike. This is an example, although this is not a full depth classical guitar.

Your points are well taken. Certainly in a live performance, it's not always feasible to be just sitting in front of a mic. It's probably most likely not, especially in non-classical music.
Personally, I liked the sound in this video. The guitarist's staccato like technique and tone, as well as the music, lends itself well to the sound. He's obviously quite good too, which helps a lot.
Quote:
this is another recording done back in 2019 by the brilliant Steve Oliver.

This was a track off a project called "unified" with composer Brian Simpson.

the guitar is a standard Cordoba classical.

He is playing through individual Graphtech pickups, there is no internal mike in the guitar. its recorded direct from the pickup system without ambient mikes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-HF...ew?usp=sharing

Steve uses a lot of nail. but he is competing in the track against a piano. It requires presence.

Then there is this example by Walter Rodrigues.

Yes, again, the Oliver and Simpson music/collaboration fits the overall tone of the guitar well. It makes a difference to the ears in my view. By that I mean it's much more acceptable than if they were playing something traditionally classical. I think that would/might be much harder to pull off.
I found the Walter Rodrigues video very interesting. I like this guy. I've seen him in other videos as well. He tries to be objective, and seems intent on making the facts clear in order to avoid coming across as a "paid" performer with an agenda. He has beautiful tone too, although I don't believe I've heard him play anything classical in his videos. More of a jazzer.
What perked my ears was his mention of Paul McGill and the saddle with individual string transducers. I remember a Paul McGill from years ago when I first started participating in guitar forums. It was called The 13th Fret, and many luthiers used to frequent it. The Paul McGill I recall was a very innovative fellow, with non-traditional designs, like his nylon string "Super Ace" model. That was a cool looker. It must be the same person?
Anyway, I have a thin body, semi-hollow guitar made by Kirk Sand which I use A LOT for classical. It has a very similar Barbera saddle pickup. I really like the sound of it. I also have an old Gibson Chet Atkins solid body nylon stringer with a piezo pickup. I used to plug it in directly into a Tascam unit to record because through an amp it was much too "quacky" sounding. I personally like this non-traditional approach for classical, although I have to admit it's not everyone's cup-a-tea

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-15-2024, 09:06 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Some things have to be experienced.

We did not record these videos

They are a good example of what can be done.

Looks like you are a steel string guitarist?
I spend about 70% of my playing time on my Loriente these days - I've grown to love the nylon sound.

It wasn't clear that the video in the first post wasn't from the sponsor/manufacturer.

It may be well worth your while as the vendor to do your own video and be specific about how it was done. Otherwise there is no baseline for evaluation of what the pickup is doing.

Just trying to help you sell your product to discerning customers like myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical