The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Notching saddles for wider string spacing?

Hi all...Assuming there is comparable room on the fretboard, any thoughts on notching saddles to get a little wider string spacing at the bridge instead of ramping bridge pin holes or replacing or redrilling the whole bridge? My neck width at the 14th fret is 2 13/16" and the current bridge string spacing is 2 1/8", so it looks like I have room to play with...pardon the pun This is a photo of one of Norman Blake's guitars where it has been done that way it seems.IMG_1021.jpg
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)
Old 05-31-2019, 08:07 AM

Yup as you can see it's certainly been done before. IT's not terribly expensive to at least try it anyway.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

The worst you can do is ruin the saddle and have to buy another, which is no big deal at all. The hard part would be getting the spacing for each individual string correctly. If there is a variance, you're hands are going to tell you about it.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-31-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Buy a new saddle first, and notch that - if it doesn’t work out well, you can drop your old saddle right back in.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for the encouragement and advice. I have a couple of "one of a kind" guitars that I really like and the only reason I would sell is because of the lack of string spacing at the bridge. I'm going to give it a shot, but keep the original saddles just in case.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Also, you don't want to make the spacing too wide so as to slip the 1st and 6th strings off the frets when playing higher up the neck.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-01-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:22 AM

If you plan to do it yourself, this would come in handy:

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...cing_Rule.html
Old 06-01-2019, 08:31 AM

I have tried notching a couple saddles to change string spacing. I have a few tools for notching guitar nuts, and I used them to measure and notch the saddles.

I have had complete success with getting the saddle notch spacing right (used a spacing ruler typically used for nuts). But...I was never able to figure out how to ramp the saddle notches the way they are ramped on nuts.

I tried to angle the notching files the same way I do on nuts, but it never turned out right. The saddles always ended up pinching the strings and causing rattles and buzzes at the saddle.

I think I could have figured it out with enough experimentation, but I put my original saddles back in and spent more time practicing instead. I was eventually able to adjust my flatpicking and fingerpicking to feel comfortable on all my saddles, from 2 5/16" spacing down to 2 3/32".

I still prefer 2 1/4" spacing, but I play equally well (or equally bad) on all my saddle spacings. For what it's worth, I'm glad I got used to all my saddles. I think playing on a variety of string spacings has made me more adaptable to different guitars.

Good luck. Have fun experimenting.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:53 AM

I had a luthier do this for me on a 2012 martin om-21. Was inexpensive and made a big difference to me!
Old 06-03-2019, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to check with a few luthiers within striking distance to see if they have experience doing this. So far two different guitar techs said they've never heard of it till I asked. I still may give it a shot myself if I strike out, but will keep the original saddles.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
If you plan to do it yourself, this would come in handy:

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...cing_Rule.html
Got one...but thanks
Old 06-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceabeceabe View Post
I had a luthier do this for me on a 2012 martin om-21. Was inexpensive and made a big difference to me!
Curious, did your luthier use the large notches on your guitar like Norman Blake did in the photo?
Old 06-03-2019, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I have tried notching a couple saddles to change string spacing. I have a few tools for notching guitar nuts, and I used them to measure and notch the saddles.

I have had complete success with getting the saddle notch spacing right (used a spacing ruler typically used for nuts). But...I was never able to figure out how to ramp the saddle notches the way they are ramped on nuts.

I think I could have figured it out with enough experimentation, but I put my original saddles back in and spent more time practicing instead. I was eventually able to adjust my flatpicking and fingerpicking to feel comfortable on all my saddles, from 2 5/16" spacing down to 2 3/32".

I still prefer 2 1/4" spacing, but I play equally well (or equally bad) on all my saddle spacings. For what it's worth, I'm glad I got used to all my saddles. I think playing on a variety of string spacings has made me more adaptable to different guitars.

Good luck. Have fun experimenting.
Thanks and sound advice on being adaptable for sure. When you tried this did you use the same type slot size for your saddle as the nut slots? Or were the saddle notches much larger like the ones on Mr. Blake's guitar in the photo? I'm wondering if larger is the secret with this possibility 🤔...
Old 06-04-2019, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

I made a notched saddle for my Seagull. First I made the saddle high with the radius and nothing for intonation. Next, I laid out the strings and filed the notches on the intonation slant from the original saddle. Finally, I sanded the bottom of the saddle to get the string height where I wanted it.

I also made a nut wider spacing for the Seagull. It came with a 1.725'' fretboard but with narrow string spacing. It had plenty of room to make the spacing wider at the nut as well at the saddle.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushwood View Post
Thanks and sound advice on being adaptable for sure. When you tried this did you use the same type slot size for your saddle as the nut slots? Or were the saddle notches much larger like the ones on Mr. Blake's guitar in the photo? I'm wondering if larger is the secret with this possibility 🤔...
Sorry for the delayed response.

My saddle notches were the same size as the nut notches. Maybe that's why I had problems with buzzing/rattling at the saddle. I should note that the wound strings worked fine. The two high strings were the poroblem

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion