The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-21-2023, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Super interesting, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Here they are: Mini Gobo's
https://realtraps.com/p_minigobo.htm
https://realtraps.com/products.htm

I consulted with Doug Young on these, as well as the controversial designer and owner of the company, Ethan. The concept with these is based totally on acoustic guitar. The theory is: For Gobo's you are blocking the sound first. And for Acoustic Guitar you do not need thicker to block anything below 100 hz for acoustic guitar. Quote: " One inch of 703 mounted on the wall absorbs only 28% at 125Hz, while 1 inch with 16 inches of air behind it absorbs 68%."

I needed something lightweight that I could move and tear down easily. As right now, my recording room is my living room. The advantage of my area is that I have an open wall between the Living Room and Den. As well as there is a extension to the living room. Thus the room is not totally square and the room itself sounds reasonable....but not great.

My knowledge of acoustics is next to zero. So I can not vouch on how well they work. But I do love how I can easily take them up and move them around.

However, with the continual discussion on acoustics( and the fact that I am now ready to start working on my album) I have decided to make & buy more panels. But this time thicker and placed in the recommended areas of my room. Not Gobo's. Probably be purchasing a combination of do it your self panels...as well as some premade from Gik.

Gik has free consulting. You send them pictures of your room and they will tell you what you need.

Maybe we can play a game?....I will send them the pictures & diagrams to them hopefully later today....And in the meantime...we can all guess what they will recommend and where they will tell me to place them? I start a new thread soon. Maybe later today.

I will be interested in not only there opinion...but your guys opinions as well. As sometimes the layman comes up with interesting notations.
Old 04-21-2023, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here they are: Mini Gobo's
https://realtraps.com/p_minigobo.htm
https://realtraps.com/products.htm

I consulted with Doug Young on these, as well as the controversial designer and owner of the company, Ethan. The concept with these is based totally on acoustic guitar. The theory is: For Gobo's you are blocking the sound first. And for Acoustic Guitar you do not need thicker to block anything below 100 hz for acoustic guitar. Quote: " One inch of 703 mounted on the wall absorbs only 28% at 125Hz, while 1 inch with 16 inches of air behind it absorbs 68%."
Aren't you adding other virtual instrumentation to songs? And aren't you going to mix those songs at some point? Treatment isn't important only for the recording stage. It's also important during the mixing stage.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-21-2023, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Aren't you adding other virtual instrumentation to songs? And aren't you going to mix those songs at some point? Treatment isn't important only for the recording stage. It's also important during the mixing stage.
It is a living room & Den, I will never be able to make it into a Mixing room. I can only make it better for recording, and better for a little bit of monitor playback. There is no way to make this area a TV room, and archery building room, a Guitar repair station, leather making station, & more.

Right or wrong, It is headphones for me when it comes to mixing. It will be my only option.

However, you can see by my other post, that I am planing on buying more room treatment next week. And Yes, I have you especially to thank for constantly drumming that into my head.

Quote:

With the continual discussion on acoustics( and the fact that I am now ready to start working on my album) I have decided to make & buy more panels. But this time thicker and placed in the recommended areas of my room. Not Gobo's. Probably be purchasing a combination of do it your self panels...as well as some premade from Gik.

Gik has free consulting. You send them pictures of your room and they will tell you what you need.

Maybe we can play a game?....I will send them the pictures & diagrams to them hopefully later today....And in the meantime...we can all guess what they will recommend and where they will tell me to place them? I start a new thread soon.

I will be interested in not only there opinion...but your guys opinions as well. As sometimes the layman comes up with interesting notations.
I will be finishing up on Pictures and recording space diagrams Saturday or Sunday(behind schedule as usual). Then I will upload to GIK.

I will then post pictures and diagrams on AGF recording. Would love to get your input Jim1960, KevWind's Duplemeter, Bob Womack & Dougs ....and who ever else wants to play the game, and see how your advice compares to GIK's.

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with & how that compares with GIK's advice.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
This is why my plan is to make eight free standing, hinged-pair gobos for tracking, 24x48x3.5”. I’ll be able to surround myself with them — it seems likely I’ll be able to take the room reflections down many dB with them — we’ll see! They will then find places on the walls and in corners for when I mix.

I’ll probably talk about them fifty times before I get down to making them. But the materials acquisition has begun.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD