The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 08:44 AM

Default anyone play a yamaha fs 850 hog top

yamaha fs 850 hogtop....good looking guitar, but how does it sound and play?

curious...anyone have or play one?????
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce
Old 01-16-2019, 09:03 AM

I have played one, but it's been some time ago. I am not a fan of the Yamaha string spacing or neck shape, so while a 11/16th nut doesn't work for me, it may be to your liking.

In the tone department I found it to be exceptionally bright for a Hog top. If your hoping for a tone comparable to say, a 15 series Martin, I would steer clear. An Ibanez AC240 will give you that while I found the Yamaha to sound very "Taylor-esque" but even brighter.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-16-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I have played one, but it's been some time ago. I am not a fan of the Yamaha string spacing or neck shape, so while a 11/16th nut doesn't work for me, it may be to your liking.

In the tone department I found it to be exceptionally bright for a Hog top. If your hoping for a tone comparable to say, a 15 series Martin, I would steer clear. An Ibanez AC240 will give you that while I found the Yamaha to sound very "Taylor-esque" but even brighter.
thanks....not for me i guess...appreciate the good feedback ......I like a hogtop to sound like a hog top...I did play an ibanez ac240 and it did sound pretty **** good come to think about it.
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce

Last edited by Guitartanzon; 01-16-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:48 AM

I have played many hog topped guitars, and own a Martin OM-15. The yamaha 850's I've tried sounded pretty good to me. Maybe a little brighter than my martin, but still very nice. I have found that most yamaha's sound pretty good, incredible even for the price.

My advice would be try them out, only you can tell if it is the "one" for you. Good luck!
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 01-16-2019, 12:13 PM

I almost bought one,I liked it so much
Maybe in the future,very nice guitar,too bad its not
All solid but still
Go for it
Dave
Old 01-16-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post

Actually that brightness appeals to me much more than the 'typical' mahogany tone which I find dull and muted. I'll have to try one; the small body FS850 in particular.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:36 AM

Until last year I had never played an all Mahogany (hogs are for breakfast ) that I liked enough to consider buying. Once I found a Breedlove all-Mahogany Concerto it was magic and I purchased it immediately. My free advice is to play as many as you can find until you find one you like and want to buy. That is consistent with my experience with Maple and Koa guitars as well..... or any guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion