The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Apple announces new Mac Mini

This looks to be pretty good news going forward for Mac users

A Quad Core starting at $799 ( albeit only an i3 processor) 6-Core i7 processor starting at $1099

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2018/10/30/apple-announce-new-2018-mac-mini-the-most-powerful-ever-made-claim-apple?mc_cid=0a31510a45&mc_eid=3af5b4ba3b

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-04-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:29 AM

I'm pleased that Apple is throwing us computer users a bone with this one. With my increasing use of Virtual Instruments, one of my pair of ancient Mac Minis will likely get replaced later this year with one of these.

Pluses: real CPU power available. Looks like a return to user upgradable RAM. SSD storage standard. Plenty of Thunderbolt/USB-C. Folks here who use DAWs to record their acoustic "real" instruments only would do great with the 4 core I3 model. My band recording Mini in the studio, which isn't asked to run virtual instruments is still a Core 2 Duo Mini model-probably 8 years old and used constantly since it was new.

Audio recording use-case pluses: you aren't paying for a high-end video card or display, neither of which are important in audio work. Those looking to do stout video editing stuff could add those things (external Thunderbolt video card dock/adapters are apparently a thing).

Negatives. Apple's markup on larger solid state hard drives is very large. Most more complex VIs that would challenge my newer 2012 Mac Mini have huge sample libraries. Logic X (where I do most of my VI work) can move sample libraries after they are installed, but the scuttlebutt I hear says that it doesn't always move them entirely (yes, I know the alias trick). I'm thinking I'll go with the 512 gigabyte drive model and just hold my nose at the markup, but I really should go with the 1 terabyte model and I'm already stretching the budget before looking at that. I've lived with external firewire drives in the past, so I'm guessing I'll be looking at (?multiple)external drives. A 1 terabyte drive more at market price would have made this a no-brainer.

That's not an issue for most here. Just move your old sessions off to a cheap external drive if you want to keep them and don't install big VI libraries that you won't be using.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

I am interested in it as something to seriously consider when I decide to replace my current Mac Pro tower

Yes the user installable memory is a plus for example people are saying you can get --Crucial 64GB DDR4-2666 LRDIMM for $970 as opposed to $1400 from Apple
And yes Apples prices for the 1 and 2 TB SSD is pretty steep

Unfortunately I would be looking at adding a Thunderbolt PCIE card unit to hold my Pro Tools HDN cards which will add to cost but still may be well under what Apple will charge for the new Mac Pro when the come out (supposedly next year )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 11-04-2018, 01:47 PM

Cool New Mini Mac

I'll be watching this thread and others like it to see how this performs .

Thanks for posting this article .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 11-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Still and all, for pro use, I wish they had a tower so you could use standard cards.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Still and all, for pro use, I wish they had a tower so you could use standard cards.

Bob
I agree and it will be interesting to see if the new Mac Pro stated to be "modular" ??? will have accessible PCIe card slots

Although for someone like me who uses PTHD Native.... Avid has now seen fit to no longer mfg PTHD Native cards. Now it is either their outboard thunderbolt connected box, or step up to PT HDX for cards

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-05-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
This looks to be pretty good news going forward for Mac users

A Quad Core starting at $799 ( albeit only an i3 processor) 6-Core i7 processor starting at $1099

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2018/10/30/apple-announce-new-2018-mac-mini-the-most-powerful-ever-made-claim-apple?mc_cid=0a31510a45&mc_eid=3af5b4ba3b
Hi KW

I wish they'd offer the ability to USB-C out of the Mac Mini and use an iPad as the extension screen for live use (it'd really be handy for keyboard use).

Maybe it's in their future.

My 6 yr old Mac Mini died last year, so we may pick one of the new ones as our travel unit for the RV…we just hooked the old one up to an HD TV and watched movies, edited photos, and surfed the web on it (good reservation and museum advanced ticket purchasing tool).

Glad they beefed it up!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-06-2018, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]Hi KW

I wish they'd offer the ability to USB-C out of the Mac Mini and use an iPad as the extension screen for live use (it'd really be handy for keyboard use).

Maybe it's in their future.
I believe it offers 1- USB 3.1 port but also 2-USB 3 ports isn't that the same as USB - C ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-06-2018, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I have been surfing a few sights about it and it seems to be some conflicting reports on "user installed"RAM

One site is saying that you have to remove the fan to get at the RAM so it is not easily user installable '

And another site just says user installable and has a photo that does not seem to show a fan in the way

Time will tell hopefully some sight wil do a teardown report

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-06-2018, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I believe it offers 1- USB 3.1 port but also 2-USB 3 ports isn't that the same as USB - C ?
HI KW

I wasn't clear. I wish the USB-C on the iPad 2019 could be hooked to the USB-C out of the MacMini that would allow the iPad to serve as an extension monitor. That would make a dynamite portable and powerful video/photo/audio editing package.

I had a MacMini and love all the output options. They are great, and it's not the MacMini that's lacking. It's that the new iPad 2019 cannot use the USB-C as an input port to transform the iPad screen into a remote monitor. It would be a great feature…and perhaps we'll get a third party solution.

On the memory install - Other World Computing (one of the key players in RAM, SSD Drives, conversion kits, Hard Drives, adapters, docks, cases and peripherals for Macs) is already selling upgrade RAM for the new Mac Mini. I'm sure it's just a matter of time and they will put up a HowTo install video. They are good about that.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI KW

I wasn't clear. I wish the USB-C on the iPad 2019 could be hooked to the USB-C out of the MacMini that would allow the iPad to serve as an extension monitor. That would make a dynamite portable and powerful video/photo/audio editing package.

I had a MacMini and love all the output options. They are great, and it's not the MacMini that's lacking. It's that the new iPad 2019 cannot use the USB-C as an input port to transform the iPad screen into a remote monitor. It would be a great feature…and perhaps we'll get a third party solution.

On the memory install - Other World Computing (one of the key players in RAM, SSD Drives, conversion kits, Hard Drives, adapters, docks, cases and peripherals for Macs) is already selling upgrade RAM for the new Mac Mini. I'm sure it's just a matter of time and they will put up a HowTo install video. They are good about that.

Ah I misunderstood

Back to the general OP ...I just watched a YouTube vid. About user replacing the RAM and while it is doable with a couple of the correct tools . It looks like quite a project
Apparently You have to remove the fan and the logic board to get at the RAM

I will post a link

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-09-2018, 07:12 AM

I have an older Mac Mini and it has been a pretty great inexpensive option. However, I won't buy another Mac. I find OS very difficult to do certain tasks that are extremely easy on a PC. I think most of my issues involve file management and iTunes, but nevertheless, Windows makes it so much easier to do things.

I'll be getting a new laptop down the road when I take my Masters classes, and I'll give the Mac to my daughter.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

OK found the video here is a tear down for RAM upgrade and install

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK found the video here is a tear down for RAM upgrade and install

Hi KW

Yup - saw a couple of them. It's do-able.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 11-10-2018, 01:00 PM

Yes, the RAM is replaceable once you gut out the computer to get to it. Shame that it's so buried, but I'm sure there are engineering reasons for that (I hope) and not just a deterrent to try to get people to pay Apple to do it instead. I'm comfortable doing that kind of work (recently replaced my HD in my iMac, which is worse because you have to deal with adhesive), but I bet a lot of people aren't, especially with a new machine. At least the option is there, though.

I usually buy through OWC, and if you want to upgrade from the stock 8GB to 16GB, it's almost worth it ($30 difference) to have Apple configure it to 16GB to save the hassle and risk of having to disassemble a new computer. For 32GB or 64GB? You can save nearly $300 by doing it yourself. https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memo...-mac-mini/2018

I have a late 2012 iMac 27" that I'm probably going to replace soon, and I'm seriously considering getting a Mac Mini instead of another iMac. I really like the iMac, but several times a year I need to transport it to another house, and that is a royal pain (I have a Macbook Air, but I don't like working off a laptop as my main computer). I'd much rather have two monitors (and larger than 27") to keep at each house and then just transport the Mini.

I refuse to pay Apple's $600 upcharge for an internal 1TB SSD, so I'd probably stick with the default 256 on the 6-core model and use a 1TB external USB-C SSD for larger files and at 1/3 of Apple's price (like this one, for example) and upgrade my memory now or in the future. Even with two larger monitors, all that would still cost less than the cheapest new 27" iMac and I'd also have more storage and a better processor. And I can also get money off for sending in my current iMac, though I'm not sure how much. The only major advantage a new iMac would have would be a 5k resolution display and dedicated video card, but I don't need nor want that.

Last edited by jhmulkey; 11-10-2018 at 02:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD