The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-26-2018, 11:37 PM

Default Scored a Cordoba C9... first nylon stringer

I've been a player for going on 20 years and have all steel stringers. For some years I have tended towards bigger strings and jazz.

Lately I've been pretty sore with tendonosis and even some nerve impingement in the elbow along with my cervical spine issues. I have my great grandmothers Carlos nylon here but it's old and in rough shape. Even so, I enjoy the lighter tension. So I decided to look for a nylon I can record and possibly gig with.

Scored a C9 after looking at a Spruce C7 that was for 350 on Reverb(it's now 300 I think)

Saw the C9 cedar at 600, it dropped to 500 so I had to do it. Scratch and dent new. Couldn't really pass it up.

Anyhow, I am hoping to work on my reading and finger picking for a while away from steel strings.

The Carlos has high action, and almost no saddle left above the bridge. The frets have some issues, and the fretboard actually seems concave and not flat. So I am looking forward to this new guitar.

So what do I try to play first on it?

Also, I see a lot of threads suggesting higher tension strings which I may try, but I think I'll go normal tension first.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:53 AM

Congratulations, great guiatr. You will love the C9, that cedar and mahogany combo has such a sweet lyrical sound. I had bought a new C9 crossover but it had a defect and I ended up with a C10, spruce and rosewood. They did sound different from one another because of the woods and I do miss the sweet cedar top sound. Although the spruce rosewood suite my style and music tastes well. They come strung from the factory with Saverez florocarbon strings which give a nice full sound and should do you well for a while.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:06 AM

My advice: play all your steel string songs on your C9 It's what I do.

Try Auila Rubino strings. You'll like them coming from steel and the tension is nice, not too high.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 12-27-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post

Try Auila Rubino strings. You'll like them coming from steel and the tension is nice, not too high.
Ditto, that's what I have done. I will chance some scorn here and say I even strum with a pick sometimes. If it's good enough for Willie Nelson...........
Old 12-27-2018, 09:10 AM

my only addition is to suggest starting with normal tension and carbon strings

The transition from steel strings to nylon might be more comfortable using carbon strings at first... The treble's are a similar diameter to what you are accustomed to. Whereas nylons might feel fat under your fingers.

Normal tension will give you the feel of light Gage steel strings.

After you've become accustomed to the feel and playing, then you can experiment with high tension and nylon strings.

Enjoy that guitar!!

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 12-27-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Congratulations, great guiatr. You will love the C9, that cedar and mahogany combo has such a sweet lyrical sound. I had bought a new C9 crossover but it had a defect and I ended up with a C10, spruce and rosewood. They did sound different from one another because of the woods and I do miss the sweet cedar top sound. Although the spruce rosewood suite my style and music tastes well. They come strung from the factory with Saverez florocarbon strings which give a nice full sound and should do you well for a while.
Thanks!

Sweet and lyrical are what I am all about. I can't wait!

Spruce and Rosewood sounds beautiful. I mean, every boy and girl should have both, right?

Looking forward to tomorrow when it arrives! Although I do need to let it adjust to the ambient temp before opening. It's coming from Chicago 2day air to Virginia.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post

That sounds like a plan! I will have to add in some easy classical pieces now.

I will check out those strings, thanks.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Ditto, that's what I have done. I will chance some scorn here and say I even strum with a pick sometimes. If it's good enough for Willie Nelson...........
Hey, nothing wrong with that. Why not?
Old 12-27-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
my only addition is to suggest starting with normal tension and carbon strings

The transition from steel strings to nylon might be more comfortable using carbon strings at first... The treble's are a similar diameter to what you are accustomed to. Whereas nylons might feel fat under your fingers.

Normal tension will give you the feel of light Gage steel strings.

After you've become accustomed to the feel and playing, then you can experiment with high tension and nylon strings.

Enjoy that guitar!!

Dave
Interesting thought. I may try that. Honestly, I've never like how thin steel strings are. Even the 13s on my OM, the trebles are just tiny. Oh well. I think I may really enjoy the nylon thickness. BUT, if its weird, I'll try the carbons.

Thank you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical