The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-20-2018, 08:43 AM

Default Vocal Reverb

I am extremely new to singing and playing acoustic guitar and have a question which I'm sure will make this quite obvious. I was at a coffee shop (i know the owner) and plugged my guitar in and sang/practiced a couple of songs just to see how I sounded, the owner said he added some reverb to my vocals. What exactly is that and what does it do?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:51 AM

It's an effect that makes you or your guitar sound like it is in a space with reflections. To try it for free start singing outside and then go and sing in your bathroom that will give you natural reverb due to the reflections of the sound of the tiles.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:52 AM

In simplest terms, it makes your voice sound like it does when you sing in the shower.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:33 PM

I imagine reverb to be an expander of sound. It takes my voice or guitar and adds space making it sound more full and rich. It does not really change the tone. It just expands what you put into it. Most recordings we hear on the radio use reverb on voice and instruments but usually sparingly. It is similar to delay to a degree but delay offers up not only a bigger sound but a sound that is being heard in delayed stages. The amount the sound is delayed after the original sound is determined by the settings from no delay to full seconds between sounds. The length that this delay continues is determined by the settings as well and can be set from one delayed sound after the original to several delayed sounds repeating themselves over and over.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 08-21-2018, 02:53 PM

Cool Delay & Reverb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefisch View Post
I am extremely new to singing and playing acoustic guitar and have a question which
I'm sure will make this quite obvious. I was at a coffee shop (i know the owner) and
plugged my guitar in and sang/practiced a couple of songs just to see how I sounded, the
owner said he added some reverb to my vocals. What exactly is that and what does it do?

This should give you an better understanding .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 08-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Good descriptions above... but I have to point out that TOO MUCH reverb is not a good thing, and it's a very easy habit to slip into - especially if you happen to love the sound of reverb...

Let me put it this way - if you can play and sing without it, and still sound good, then go ahead and experiment with reverbs or delays, but always keep in mind that it is YOU and not the effects that will have you sounding your best!

When I first got my Bose L1 Classic, I was dismayed to discover that there were no onboard effects - no reverb, no nothing... I read up on the unit a bit, and nearly every comment about the "no reverb" thing was that the unit sounds so good and reflects sound so well that it always picks up a little bit of reverb in whatever room you happen to play...

Well, I was surprised and very pleased to discover that I sounded REALLY good without any sort of effect on my voice or guitar... matter of fact, I think that playing without any treatment actually makes me a better player and singer... especially with that Bose rig, because it just gives back whatever you put into it. I found myself consciously "upping my game" in all areas of my playing and singing.

A little bit is nice and goes a long way...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-23-2018, 12:16 PM

Jseth makes an excellent point, that to me, carries over into using effects generally. I use them sparingly, especially reverb on vocals. I prefer just a slight delay rather than reverb. A very dry signal can be unattractive but just a little bit goes a long way with effects.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:11 PM

My advice, for what its worth, dont over do it. Not every song needs it, it can even ruin some for sure. A little can go a long way, some do need more, you will find your way with it. I use the T C Helicon singer, has adjustable reverb built in, along with the digital voice production. Used with a light touch and only on maybe the chorus to a song or a word or two it can really brighten things up. As with any tools learn how best to use them and on what.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
...TOO MUCH reverb is not a good thing, and it's a very easy habit to slip into - especially if you happen to love the sound of reverb...
Never played any surf guitar, didya...?
Old 08-24-2018, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Cool Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Never played any surf guitar, didya...?
Well, of COURSE I did! Raised in Southern California - Orange County - in the 50's and 60's... if you played guitar, you played SURF MUSIC!!!

To this day, that spring reverb in Fender amps is still my favorite for electric guitar, one of the reasons I love my Deluxe Reverb...

Come on, Steve... you KNOW what I was talking about! I get the joke, but the original poster might not...

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I could trust any electric guitarist who DIDN'T love a deep reverb on Surf Music...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification