The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-19-2018, 01:55 PM

Another vote for the Hercules MS401B. Really great if you sing and have to mic an instrument. Also a great stand if your church (or other venue) has a slightly raised platform and you play and sing seated. Provides great placement of mic and does not interfere with instrument.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:42 AM

Another vote for the DR PRO. Went right through a cheep one 1st; had the DR ever since.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 08-21-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I really like the Hercules MS401B. Instead of a boom it angles up towards the player. I find this still gives plenty of room for standing or sitting with a guitar and I can easily adjust it with one hand with the guitar strapped on.

I've been using one of these for a couple of years. I like it, seems durable, no problems, the tilt feature is handy.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Probably a bit after the fact, but I've used a whole bunch of different stands over the years of performing... and the newer styles can definitely have parts that strip or legs that won't fold properly... especially when you're carrying them around for gigs in a different venues all the time.

When I first started performing (circa 1968), I bought a pair of hi-impedance Shure mics ( a 565 and a 545?) and one mic stand - the "old school" type with a round-ish heavy metal base. I got a few gooseneck attachments so I could "aim" the guitar mic where I wanted it to go...

Excepting my current stand (black/tri-fold legs/boom assembly), every other stand has broken or been bent or is somehow non-functional... except that very first stand I bought. It's still in excellent shape, everything about it functions perfectly (although I had to learn the hard way to be sure to properly thread any gooseneck attachment, because the threaded pieces are brass alloy and can strip easily!).

Pretty sure it's an Atlas stand with one of the smaller weighted bases. I'll probably have that stand 'til the day I die!

Another thing? If you NEED a boom stand, they are wonderful... but if you DON'T need one, they can just be a pain in the patootie! Buy accordingly...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-24-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earri View Post
Another vote for the DR PRO. Went right through a cheep one 1st; had the DR ever since.

Ditto. I bought a back-up Dr Pro and it's never been needed!

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 08-28-2018, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Just a follow up to all this helpful feedback. I bought an Atlas tripod stand and used it Saturday night at a regular monthly gig. What a difference! It's stable (I attached a drink holder, shelf and iPad holder to it) and really well made. Yep, three times the cost of the bargain stands, but just what I was looking for. Thanks again for all the help with this decision.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Just a follow up to all this helpful feedback. I bought an Atlas tripod stand and used it Saturday night at a regular monthly gig. What a difference! It's stable (I attached a drink holder, shelf and iPad holder to it) and really well made. Yep, three times the cost of the bargain stands, but just what I was looking for. Thanks again for all the help with this decision.
Glad that worked out for you. I imagine you'll have it for a good long time!

Louis
Old 08-29-2018, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

I have 2 DR-Pro stands and a pair of DR-Pro mini stands. I use the mini stands to mic tube amps and also to hold instrument mics. they are excellant stands for the money.

If money is no object, K&M all day long.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification