The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-17-2018, 08:55 PM

Default Help! New to In-Ear Monitors

Hello all! I’m new to the forum here and needed some advice. I’m using a Martin 00-12 Fret with a Duncan Mag Mic into a Tech 21 acoustic fly rig and want to get the guitar signal and my vocals into an in ear setup for my solo gigs. What exactly would I need to get to accomplish this other than the in ears?
Old 08-17-2018, 09:30 PM

Here's one way:

http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PM351
Old 08-18-2018, 05:21 AM

Answering your question is tough without knowing a little more. Your guitar signal goes from the Duncan to the tech 21, fine. But out of that do you use the XLR out, or the 1/4" out. Also, where are your vocals going?

Are you using a standalone PA system like a Bose S1, L1C, or Fishman SA330? Or do you use a small mixer?

If you send your vocals and guitar to a small mixer, it is super simple to get your IEM, simply use the mixer's headphone out and your FOH signal can go wherever you want.

If you use a standalone unit, you can line out from that to a small headphone amp. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ign=aaShopping - Not In Stock&adgroup=Studio & Recording&placement=google&adpos=1o3&creative=1055 93158321&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKC Ajwh9_bBRA_EiwApObaOBBq_-cMla9aAvlHpL9zoQWhTKf17aXoZAW6VfIMLn1NrOwQt9GwfBoC AKMQAvD_BwE

Also, do you plan on going wireless? If so, the cost goes up by several hundred dollars.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 08-18-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:12 AM

I think we need to know more about your setup- specifically from where are you sending the signal "out" to monitor?

There are many options- you can simply monitor with a headphone cable into a set of earbuds if you are going to stay pretty static.You can introduce a small headphone amp like what is suggested by BW above to control volume.

One less expensive option is to pick up a low latency bluetooth transmitter and matching low latency receiver (TROND on AMAZON)- send the signal out from the transmitter into the TROND receiver with your earbuds. I have this setup and it works fine. It gets you there without being tethered to your output source.

Best option - invest in an IEM wireless system like the SHURE system if cost is not a limiting factor. You can also look on AMAZON for some pretty good options that are well under the cost of the SHURE system.

Whatever option you choose, the system will benefit from a better grade of earbuds.

davidc
Old 08-18-2018, 02:59 PM

I actually returned the both the Mag Mic and Tech 21 because I don't want something so intrusive in the sound hole and it picked up so much string noise.

So I'm thinking of just running a K&K Pure Mini into a TC Helicon Acoustic play and just run their cable to my guitar and IEMs so it's easy and so simple. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 08-18-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I think we need to know more about your setup- specifically from where are you sending the signal "out" to monitor?

There are many options- you can simply monitor with a headphone cable into a set of earbuds if you are going to stay pretty static.You can introduce a small headphone amp like what is suggested by BW above to control volume.

One less expensive option is to pick up a low latency bluetooth transmitter and matching low latency receiver (TROND on AMAZON)- send the signal out from the transmitter into the TROND receiver with your earbuds. I have this setup and it works fine. It gets you there without being tethered to your output source.

Best option - invest in an IEM wireless system like the SHURE system if cost is not a limiting factor. You can also look on AMAZON for some pretty good options that are well under the cost of the SHURE system.

Whatever option you choose, the system will benefit from a better grade of earbuds.

davidc

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking the play acoustic would be best for effects on both my vocals and guitar and it has all the features I want. That being said they have that split cable you can hook up to your guitar and IEMs, but from what I've read they aren't reliable.

My question is, how would I wirelessly get the headphone out to my IEMs?
Old 08-19-2018, 06:40 AM

Try the bluetooth method that I mention above.
Otherwise you can invest in an IEM system like above.

You can make your own double cable - just use two good cables an couple them together with plastic ties. Use a good quality guitar cable and headphone extension cable (with a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter if necessary). You will have a good quality that you can depend on.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Try the bluetooth method that I mention above.
Otherwise you can invest in an IEM system like above.

You can make your own double cable - just use two good cables an couple them together with plastic ties. Use a good quality guitar cable and headphone extension cable (with a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter if necessary). You will have a good quality that you can depend on.
Thanks for the info again! If I went with an IEM system could I run the headphone out of the play acoustic to say a Shure IEM in mono mode with a 1/8 to 1/4 cable?
Old 08-19-2018, 04:54 PM

You could send the signal from the PlayAcoustic to a Shure IEM system or any IEM system. You can save all the expense with just a headphone extension jack out to your earbuds. If you do that, you could also pick up a small headphone amp that has a volume control on it. The downside is that you are tethered to your PlayAcoustic but that may not be a problem if you are static when you play.

There are lots of ways to be able to "hear yourself", and your budget and venue may dictate how you manage that. My guess is the headphone out of the PlayAcoustic is probably stereo anyway. If you need a line out, it will be mono instead.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:37 PM

Neither of my amps have headphone jacks. Could I use the record out RCA jacks (with the proper fittings) for IEM? If yes, would I need a headphone amp or other interface?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 08-19-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
You could send the signal from the PlayAcoustic to a Shure IEM system or any IEM system. You can save all the expense with just a headphone extension jack out to your earbuds. If you do that, you could also pick up a small headphone amp that has a volume control on it. The downside is that you are tethered to your PlayAcoustic but that may not be a problem if you are static when you play.

There are lots of ways to be able to "hear yourself", and your budget and venue may dictate how you manage that. My guess is the headphone out of the PlayAcoustic is probably stereo anyway. If you need a line out, it will be mono instead.
Yeah the headphone out is stereo so I assume if I get a 1/8 trs to Y 1/4 cable I can split it into an IEM wireless. Right?
Old 08-19-2018, 07:18 PM

Paulin
Yes you could use the record out but you will need a headphone amp for that.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:

davidc
Do you notice any latency in this transmitter if you have used it? Was thinking of just doing this with Shure Bluetooth IEMs out of the Play Acoustic Headphone jack.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:01 AM

The latency is so slight it becomes unnoticeable. Most of the time I hear no latency at all. The key is to buy the low latency transmitter and low latency receiver. The TROND units worked very well for me.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:08 AM

Actually, the PlayAcoustic has IEM capabilities and they sell a guitar/IEM cable combo. From the manual (helpful diagram not included):

Stereo PA and TC-Helicon Guitar & Headphone cable
If you own our Guitar & Headphone cable (sold separately), you can use an external monitor send to the Aux in on Play Acoustic to create a headphone/IEM mix.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
Five amazing Aura-equipped Martins
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Two jumbo maple Guild 12-strings
Guild 8-string baritone
1979 Ovation Custom Balladeer
Peter Frampton Epiphone Texan
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10-Top
Lots of Fender & Variax electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification