The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-17-2018, 08:32 PM

Default fishman soloamp

hi , I've been using this soloamp for about 5 years now. every weekend. My small problem is , I can't seem to get my vocal mic as loud as my guitar. the mic is a seinhiesser [good one, but don't know which model]. it is comparative to an SM57. no matter where i place the amp ,if i turn up the mic ,it feeds back. I know about the antifeedback but it still feeds back....time for a new or different mic? don't know.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:54 AM

I don't think they are manufactured any more, but there was a pedal called a "GoRack" by dbx that was said to be very effective at feedback suppression. It was sold as a kind of hands-off overall sound enhancer, but they discontinued it a little while ago and sold off their remaining stock pretty cheap.

I think you can still find one on eBay or Reverb for <$100. People who used them seemed to like them, and it might solve your problem.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:42 AM

Get an ART MP tube preamp. Gives a nice, warm tube sound and can increase gain from there without over working the signal at your soloamp.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

I have been using the SA220 for years and could not be more pleased with it. It is the single best gear purchase I have ever made.

What I have discovered is that certain mics are more prone to feedback than others. I used a EV767 ( a very good mic at a great price) and I could situate the SA anywhere including directly behind me with no feedback at all. However, when I went to the Heil PR35 ( an excellent mic), I started getting some feedback.

I solved this by situating the SA immediately next to me making sure the barrel of the PR35 was slightly behind the front of the SA. Problem solved. In addition to preventing feedback and getting all the volume I want, I can hear it clearly, and, I can now easily reach over to adjust volume levels or anything else, so, it's great.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 08-18-2018, 10:40 AM

next to you? wow !well i never tried that but i have a gig this afternoon .will let you know how it worked.thanks.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:51 PM

hi . i did have the soloamp next to me today . it sounds GREAT! but my vocals are definetely not as loud as my guitar.no feedback either.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
hi . i did have the soloamp next to me today . it sounds GREAT! but my vocals are definetely not as loud as my guitar.no feedback either.
Turn your guitar down to balance it with the vocal.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cool, glad you eliminated the feedback issue.

However, if you still cannot get your mic as loud as you want, even with no feedback, either you have mic issues, or you are not using the SA properly. I have NEVER had a volume issue with mics using my SA. I suggest you go to a music store with an SA (most likely a SA300 these days) and a great return policy, and audition mics. Then take it home and try it with your SA unit. I suspect that will cure the problem.

Steve
Old 08-20-2018, 04:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Do you by any chance have the 10db pad button pressed in on the mic channel?

It's an easy thing to miss, and if that is the case: Make sure you lower the mic volume before pressing it.

HE
Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Do you by any chance have the 10db pad button pressed in on the mic channel?

It's an easy thing to miss, and if that is the case: Make sure you lower the mic volume before pressing it.

HE
Ooooh, good point!

Steve
Old 08-20-2018, 02:31 PM

Good points above, of course -- I also use and am really happy with both the SA220 and the Heil PR-35 mic for many years now. I typically have my SA behind and to the side of me, and sometimes angle it slightly away from the SA if I have to have the volume up a bit -- the Heil is indeed a hot mic. I do like to have the SA behind me to some degree to maximize its function as a monitor. You also definitely need to make sure you're balancing the channel input (gain) with the master. My master volume is rarely over about 25% level and of course the channels 1 and 2 are adjusted accordingly. You might be going way too hot with the master and too low with the separate channel gains, or vice-versa... And yes, check those pad buttons! Good luck!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 08-20-2018, 04:11 PM

I think you are right about the master V. lastt saturday [outside gig] i had the master volume up about 3/4 full ,with the mic and guitar channel turned down. ..... also [Emerson] are you saying that 10db button[whatever that means] should be IN ??
Old 08-20-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I think you are right about the master V. lastt saturday [outside gig] i had the master volume up about 3/4 full ,with the mic and guitar channel turned down. ..... also [Emerson] are you saying that 10db button[whatever that means] should be IN ??
If I may chime in here, I'm not Emerson but here's the way I set up my Sa 330 and my old Sa 220. Turn the unit on but turn the master volume to zero. With the mike plugged in make sure the 10dB pad button is out or not engaged. That pad is for really hot signals that are too hot for the normal settings and would distort. Then speak or sing into the mike while turning up the mike channel's gain until the little red light flashes. Turn the gain down slightly until the red light doesn't light up with the loudest vocal you will be using. Then do the same thing for the guitar channel. This provides the maximum clean preamp signal going to the amp section. Now turn up the master and see what you have. If either channel is too loud then you can turn down the gain slightly to balance the vocal and guitar sound. At that point just to make sure, you can hit the pad button and it should drop the volume considerably. Release that button and you should be good to go!

The idea is to simply have the channel's gain turned up as high as possible without the little red light flashing. When that red light next to the gain pot flashes it means your clipping the preamp. The hottest clean signal can then be amplified at lower master volume settings to achieve the same overall volume than with too low of a gain on the channels.

Last edited by Guitaurman; 08-20-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:26 PM

Never mind.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
No, it should be 'out'.

If it's engaged (in) it drops the input by 10dB.

Howard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification