The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-30-2018, 11:43 AM

Default The Soul of Music

Pardon my rant, but I feel compelled to.
Saturday, at the local YMCA, there was this exercise class. Exercise routines to music. Computer generated, Techno Hip-Hop (music). As I listened, I pondered: Why does it seen so "canned"? So "lifeless"? So uninteresting? So uninspiring? So. . . DEAD! Because, as I concluded, it is dead. True music, must come from the soul; the human soul. Not a computer program. Humans playing instruments, voices carrying verse. Otherwise, it is just pointless noise generated by a soulless machine. So I raise a glass to all you artists that have been, are, and will be. Carry on.
Thank you all for this opportunity, and keep up the good work!
Old 07-30-2018, 11:56 AM

Canned noise such as computer-generated or "musak" are not music. I realize there are differences between these two but in comparison to real music they both fall woefully short.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 07-30-2018, 12:04 PM

Maybe because it's an excersize class? It's supposed to be background noise. Also I can give you examples of "soulesss" music from every decade.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Most music for exercise is beat and rhythm-focused to get people into a groove to move by. I guess computers are easy tools to generate countless tracks of techno hip-hop beats. Not my thing but it is a specified tool for a sole purpose as opposed to a soul purpose.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-30-2018, 06:15 PM

Because my heart language is music, I cannot help but "tuning in" when music is playing. This is good in some ways, but sometimes not. In school, I could never study while music was playing, unless I was supposed to be studying that particular music. When working, particularly writing, I'd rather not have music playing. If it is, my mind and heart is drawn to it. Great sometimes, but a major distraction at others. For this reason, I do not enjoy insipid music from any genre. It really doesn't matter to me which style or century or instruments are used, it just has to be engaging.

My little Beat Buddy pedal drum machine has a fair amount of instantly available variations. My previous drum machines were almost instantly boring!

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic