The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-20-2018, 01:34 PM

Default Eon One goes back Bose S1 comes back

Well had one job with the Eon One and it ain't for me...great sound and all but to heavy and to bulky for a one man show imo. I used a small hand cart to transport it so not to hurt my back, and managed to make it in one trip with some stairs.
But for my age when I started using the cart the thought came to mind that I was not as portable and light as I wanted to be and was kind of defeating my original purpose, not to carry heavy anything anymore.
Also I had a bear of a time putting the stack together darn near needed a hammer( not really) but really hard to fit together and then even harder to pull apart. I suppose after a while they would break in and be easier but not easy the times I used it.
While returning the unit the clerk talked me into trying the Bose S1 Pro, well it looked to small and simple but he stated it was his favorite of all the systems they had there so I took it home to try.
I must say I am impressed,, the little thing puts out huge volume and fills the room for it's size, amazing. I carried it in one hand, no problem and simple as heck to set up and eq. Blue tooth is a bonus as well. Now I am going back and pick up a second one, both combined are about the same price as the Eon One alone and I can carry two at a time no problem. I am really glad I tried these.
I come from the old school days of 15" JBL mains and 12" monitors etc. etc. These little guys with my SM58 mics put out great! A real pleasure to use.
I did purchase a Pro Line stand for it and that makes it eye level and easy to reach the controls, I am going to use the second for a monitor. Great system....
Old 08-20-2018, 02:23 PM

This may have been touched on elsewhere in the 3,000 or so posts about the Bose S1, but have you thought of (or tried) positioning this behind you at, all so that they also work as a monitor system, like the Bose Compact and Fishman SoloAmps and some others do? I'm a solo guy too and I really appreciate that capability...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 08-20-2018, 07:08 PM

I think most players put them behind them. I do, behind up on a speaker stand and above me with me sitting just to the left, so I catch the S1 in my right ear.
On a speaker stand it just helps to put it up above mic level.

The only challenge is just reaching the controls if it is up too high. I bought a small flashlight to keep in my kit so I can see everything a bit easier.

They do work as a monitor/main. That is the beauty of the S1.
They fill the room with sound without it being too loud in any one spot.

davidc
Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I think most players put them behind them. I do, behind up on a speaker stand and above me with me sitting just to the left, so I catch the S1 in my right ear.
On a speaker stand it just helps to put it up above mic level.

The only challenge is just reaching the controls if it is up too high. I bought a small flashlight to keep in my kit so I can see everything a bit easier.

They do work as a monitor/main. That is the beauty of the S1.
They fill the room with sound without it being too loud in any one spot.

davidc
Funny, it sounds like you're describing my Bose L1 Model II system... although I always position mine behind me off my LEFT shoulder on a diagonal; figured the fewer sound pressure waves that are interacting with the body of my acoustic would inhibit any feedback tendencies.

Good to hear that the S1 has that same component of "spreading" the sound around the room that the bigger Bose rigs have. That is an aspect of the little amp that I've not really heard mention a whole lot in all the reviews of it I've read, nor has the capability to have it behind you as a monitor/front of house combo!

I know that it is always best to have my bigger Bose rig 9-15' away from me; the sound "blooms" nicely with the unit a bit away. Perhaps most other users have positioned the amp out in front or even with them?

As a performer, it is ALWAYS nice to hear what the audience is hearing - as opposed to some limited, "cheesy" monitor mix!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-21-2018, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

I position mine behind me and to my left so the other member of our duo can hear it as well as the audience. I bought a mini speaker stand that can elevate the S1 to up to 6' high. It works great! I too was old school many years ago about large mains and monitors and am delighted to travel light and get good dispersion at lower volume.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification