The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-10-2018, 10:14 AM

Default Changing pickups in my EJ-200...

It is time to part ways with my M80. A combination of my playing style and my ears, I guess. I keep hitting it while strumming, and can't seem to find the sweet spot for pole adjustments. And even if I could, I'd still keep hitting it! The sound I am getting out of it, even after dramatic mid-range cuts, just sounds too electric for my tastes. Not enough stringyness or air.

I'm not married to L.R. Baggs, but I am interested in maybe the Anthem SL or the Lyric.

For context, I currently play in an acoustic duo with a Turbosound iP1000 as our PA/monitoring solution. We play a lot of styles, and my playing varies from light to "what-the-hell-are-you-doing-you're-going-to-break-every-string-at-once", so the ability to take some punishment is preferred. The guitar itself being a jumbo it can also get pretty loud.

Anybody have experience with either of these systems or similar? I will be running it through an HD500X, so I have quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to EQ, phase, level control, etc.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I would recommend Anthem SL all the way over the Lyric. Especially in an acoustic duo, playing with the dynamics you describe. The Anthem will provide that needed bass oomph that the Lyric cannot do. It will also manage your dynamic range better and require less surgical eq.

The only reason to choose Lyric is if you can’t live with the ust quack and the potential acoustic dampening.

If that is the case, I’d recommend the Trance Amulet Mono

Best wishes
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 08-10-2018, 04:00 PM

I switched from an M80 to a Schertler AG-6/S-Mic magnetic pickup and microphone. One of the things I appreciate about the Schertler coming from the M-80 is lack of handling noise. Unlike other mag/mic pickups, if you touch the AG-6 or even the S-Mic directly, you don’t hear it. On the M-80, I could hear my fingers if they brushed against the pickup or adjusted the pickup volume control. With the Schertler, I don’t hear any noise when I touch it, adjust the volume control, or even if I touch the mic directly. I also don’t hear my clothes squeaking against the guitar body like I did with the M-80,or nearly as much fret squeak. I play fingerstyle with the fleshy part of my fingers instead of nails so this lack of handling noise in the Schertler is a really big deal to me.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the responses, gents.

Anybody else?
Old 08-12-2018, 09:11 AM

I am someone who has changed pickups as often as I have changed underwear. I am just picky. Now, I have not changed my underwear for a long time since I discovered Dazzo pickups. If you like easy and an excellent natural sound, then it may be worth a shot. You can beat the crap out of your guitar and you won’t hear anything electric or brittle. Teddy still makes them by hand at $215 each. Once installed, they sound balanced in every guitar I have owned for the past 3 years. Very little EQ is required unlike some systems. Lately, a new preamp company has come on boardcalled Sunnaudio. They make a simple on board preamp called the tone driver. Has Bass, Treble and Volume controls. I would highly recommend it if you are going direct into the Line 6. I believe it runs $179. And there may be an AGF discount.

http://www.dazzopickups.com/HOME.html

https://sunnaudio.com
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 08-19-2018, 09:03 AM

Update...I wound up going in a very different direction, and it kinda caught me by surprise!

I was in the store and saw that Session VTC pickup/preamp. Having heard some excellent demos of the session pedal, I was intrigued.

I wound up bringing it home and installing it last night. Got to do a short play through and so far really like what I am hearing. It is defenitely a piezo pickup, make no mistake.

That being said, it sounds like their dynamic EQ really does work well. It still takes a hefty low cut to get all the thump out (of which I want just a bit), but it retains lots of grace under pressure.

The set screw adjustment for the compression/saturation is fun. Right now I probably have too much of it dialed in, but it sure does add some nice qualities to the sound. I always like the snarl acoustics get on, say, an A2 chord ringing out, and this setting really brings that out. The trick is finding the right balance between warmth and clarity.

I plan to do some recordings with it on Tuesday or Wednesday to post up.

Last edited by BottledAwesome; 08-19-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:27 PM

That’s a system that hasn’t been talked about too much here on the forum. I am sure there would be some that would be interested in hearing it. I used the Session pedal when I had Lyrics and/or Anthems in my guitar. I thought it added thickness and warmth to those pickups.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 08-20-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottledAwesome View Post
Update...I wound up going in a very different direction, and it kinda caught me by surprise!

I was in the store and saw that Session VTC pickup/preamp. Having heard some excellent demos of the session pedal, I was intrigued.

I wound up bringing it home and installing it last night. Got to do a short play through and so far really like what I am hearing. It is defenitely a piezo pickup, make no mistake.
I had this pickup for a while (don't have it anymore because I sold the guitar) and I liked it. It's a subtle upgrade from a regular Baggs element pickup but I think it's worth it as a plug&play solution.
And as a bonus it has a battery indicator, very handy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification