The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Good luck in non looking rapid changes from around the second or third fret to way up on the fretboard. If you want to play accurately and cleanly bounding around the fretboard watch where you are going.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

I've watched several videos of John Williams playing and he watches his left hand frequently...but what did he know! (smile)

Dave
Old 08-13-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
A very long time ago we had to demonstrate our ability to pick up an unknown piece and play it - to a certain standard (nowhere near perfectly, in my case) - in order to be assessed for our progression reports. It's a bit different on a guitar from something like piano, given the range of choices to be made, especially in terms of left hand position, and in that sense maybe it makes sense to compare to other stringed instruments like the cello and violin, where similar decisions are required. The guitars we had available back in those days never had fret markers and I didn't ever think about why - it's just the way it was. There's also a certain class of instructor (or there was, anyway) that did not look kindly on the occasional peek at the left hand position. Is it wrong to check where your hand is? No. Do I occasionally feel a twinge of panic/shame when I do it? Yes. Yes I do.
They've filmed world-class pianists and definitively shown that they Do look at their hands, their eyes leading their hands next move, All The Time, despite insisting that they Never look at their hands.

I would imagine guitar is much the same.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJeff View Post
Hmmmm, while those are indeed stringed instruments, I don’t see them as being all that similar to guitar. Not trying to be argumentative, I just feel they’re very different animals in terms of playing, design, and construction.

And while I’m not a classical musician, I would imagine they have to practice as well no? Are there musicians who can sit down and play a complicated piece of music they’ve never played before at full speed and sound correct just by reading the music? Again not trying to be snarky, I honestly don’t know. I just figured even accomplished musicians needed to practice? I know for myself, (not a musician, just a hack trying), I need to see where my hands are going while practicing until I play a piece enough for my hands to “remember” where they need to go🙂.

Thanks,
Jeff
Classical guitars predate steel stringed guitars by years and years. I would say based on that that steel string and electric guitars (especially electrics) are further from a true guitar (classical nylon guitars). Those go back to the days of gut strings.

Better question might be why once they began making steel string and electric guitars they thought markers were necessary.

Actually, I really never look at fretboard markers while playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical