The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-30-2018, 10:07 PM

Default So....I'm in the middle of a song......

Yeah.....I'm doing this solo gig where I'm basically background music......and I have a looper and it's playing the rhythm I recorded to the song Rude by Magic (irony alert) whilst I'm in my world, eyes closed, picking a lead.

Suddenly........

A waitress from the establishment comes-a patting me on my left shoulder.....and in a thick, Spanish accent....."do you know any villages?"

I come crashing down from my trance.....eyes open.......(looper still going, still trying to maintain a solo. "huh....what?"

"Villages.....do you know any villages?'

"I'm sorry, no"

"Oh, the girl over there, she wanted to hear villages"..........and she departs.

I'm done noodling and I'm back in the song.....and she comes back with the guest this time......and again......mid song (I mean really, why do you gotta be so rude?)

Now the patron, also in a thick, Spanish accent......."Beelly Joel"

I smile....."yes, I can play you some Billy Joel"
Old 07-30-2018, 10:26 PM

I think I knew her father...

Back when I was in grad school and working as a bank teller to pay my tuition, a short, swarthy gentleman - also with a thick Spanish accent - came to my window and passed me a note, written on a guest check from the local diner where he worked...

Using what is commonly known among kindergarten teachers as "inventive spelling," he requested "two dollars (in) pennies"...

I'll let those of you familiar with Spanish-language phonics figure it out, since Forum guidelines (justifiably) preclude my transcribing his message here, as written...

You can't make this stuff up...
Old 07-31-2018, 08:10 AM

(I really did LOL!)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
(I really did LOL!)
So did my co-workers - even at 1978 chopped-chuck prices they figured I was worth $4-5 at the very least...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 08-01-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-04-2018, 08:35 AM

The interruption aside, I wonder how many of these thick accented people speak better foreign languages than those who would criticize their thick accents? No reason to bring up the accent other than to demean them.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
The interruption aside, I wonder how many of these thick accented people speak better foreign languages than those who would criticize their thick accents? No reason to bring up the accent other than to demean them.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I strongly disagree sir.....it was relevant to the story.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebick View Post
You're entitled to your opinion, but I strongly disagree sir.....it was relevant to the story.
What he said, +1...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic