The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-19-2015, 06:42 PM

Depends on the application. A surf show? My chandler avenger. It's a strat that's shaped like a mosrite. what could be more perfect?

Cover rock? My parker fly deluxe.

Solo blues, my National resotone, though I've just picked up a resolectric, but I'm not comfortable with it yet

Last edited by blue; 06-19-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:51 PM

I play 99% of my time acoustic....my '54 ES 125 covers all my electric needs.
Christian

Last edited by birkenweg42; 06-19-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkenweg42 View Post
my '54 ES 125 covers all my electric needs.
Too bad it's not a looker...

Man... From the bridge to the two knobs by the F hole... Just a classic beauty... What strings are you running on it?
Old 06-20-2015, 09:26 AM

Thanks, Blue.

I am still experimenting with strings but at the moment I have the same strings on the ES than on my Santa Cruz OM/PW....DR Sunbeams 12/54. I like the fact that my electric feels similar to my acoustic.....makes the transition easier.

Since the Sunbeams are PBs I did have to adjust the pool pieces slightly to balance the volume between strings.
Christian
Old 06-20-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Blue.

I am still experimenting with strings but at the moment I have the same strings on the ES than on my Santa Cruz OM/PW....DR Sunbeams 12/54. I like the fact that my electric feels similar to my acoustic.....makes the transition easier.

Since the Sunbeams are PBs I did have to adjust the pool pieces slightly to balance the volume between strings.
Have you tried Pearse Jazz Mediums? 12-52. They're nice, and not expensive.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Have you tried Pearse Jazz Mediums? 12-52. They're nice, and not expensive.
I actually ordered a few sets from stringsandbeyond but they have nor arrived yet. Arrival is overdue; I'll have to check with my post office.
For now I am happy with the Sunbeams.
Christian
Old 06-20-2015, 08:08 PM

I am a strat guy all the way. I have a tele and love it too. But the strat is my key instrument.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I am a strat guy all the way. I have a tele and love it too. But the strat is my key instrument.
I love Stratocasters and I thought my Stratocaster would be my forever go to electric guitar. (Changed when I got my Telecaster).
Old 06-20-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I love Stratocasters and I thought my Stratocaster would be my forever go to electric guitar. (Changed when I got my Telecaster).
In an old interview Clapton said he shifted from Les Paul to strat because the Les Paul just gave you everything with no effort. Sustain, fat tone, the works.

I feel the same way about strat vs. tele. The strat makes things very easy. With the tele, you're riding the tiger. If you are at all pushing the envelope, it's a full time job to keep things civilized. Of course being uncivilized is a heck of good time too!

It didn't make my list of "go to" in this thread, but my Pine Esquire is just one of those things I can't quit.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:29 AM
Charter Member

There's nothing like a lp jacked right into a tube amp (they sound a lot like an acoustic).

My wife took this photo... my hand reaching for the R7 (Lindy Fralin pickups and RS vintage wiring & pots, also has some aged vintage style tuners and a RS aluminum stop tail).

Old 06-21-2015, 02:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I play 99% of my time acoustic....my '54 ES 125 covers all my electric needs.
Great guitar... man that binding looks so incredible, so vintage!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:59 AM

Quote:
In an old interview Clapton said he shifted from Les Paul to strat because the Les Paul just gave you everything with no effort. Sustain, fat tone, the works.

I feel the same way about strat vs. tele. The strat makes things very easy. With the tele, you're riding the tiger. If you are at all pushing the envelope, it's a full time job to keep things civilized. Of course being uncivilized is a heck of good time too!

It didn't make my list of "go to" in this thread, but my Pine Esquire is just one of those things I can't quit.
I don't feel one instrument (Stratocaster/Telecaster) is more easier to play than the other. However I tend to approach each instrument differently (consciously or subconsciously) and given that my playing tends to have a very country/rockabilly bent, (hybrid/chicken picking) I normally go first to my Telecaster.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:

I don't feel one instrument (Stratocaster/Telecaster) is more easier to play than the other. However I tend to approach each instrument differently (consciously or subconsciously) and given that my playing tends to have a very country/rockabilly bent, (hybrid/chicken picking) I normally go first to my Telecaster.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:58 AM

Amateur guitarist here.
Go-to guitar is a Fender Standard Strat with a Duncan Custom bridge humbucker and DiMarzio Virtual Vintage singles in the the neck and middle,
bought off of eBay...
Old 06-21-2015, 06:12 AM

Without knowing what I'm getting into, I'd probably bring my Taylor T3/B that has been modified with Lollartrons and a Stellartone. It can go from twangy to getting some fairly jazzy tones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars