The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Remember the comeback instro album Nouveau Calls? It was pretty cool.
I've got it! When I saw them in '96 they opened with "Real Guitars Have Wings." There are some really interesting stories about that album.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-10-2015, 06:40 PM

For me living in 80's Australia, my musical surroundings basically involved a whole lot of English and Australian pop/rock and 80's hair metal. (To give you some idea, I just turned 51).

However as soon as I heard Chris Isaak's Wicked Game and Blue Hotel (Isaak's voice and Wilsey's tone) I realized that this is where I was meant to be. (I then took a detour down the road of all things rockabilly, country, surf guitar, western soundtracks, and Americana with some other stuff thrown in for good measure and in the end became a really big Johnny Cash fan in particular).
Old 10-13-2015, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
Telecasters, because of Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanan, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Danny Gatton.

Stratocasters, because of Rory Gallagher, Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler.

Resonators, because of Rory Gallagher, Johnny Winter, Mark Knopfler.

Mandolin, because of Rory Gallagher, David Grisman, Simon Mayor.
Do you like Rory Gallagher by any chance ???
Had the pleasure of seeing him more than once in the early 70's.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Everyone. Have you every bought any electric guitar gear because your hero used it? That would include guitar, amp, pedal, etc.

What gear did you keep and what did you get rid of, or do not use?
Not because of any hero worship, per se, but because I liked a certain sound that a particular guitarist I admire achieved with a particular type of guitar.

For example,

Strat: never could quite nail that Clapton/ Hendrix/ Robin Trower warm blues neck pickup sound till I got one.

Guild Starfire IV: I'm a huge fan of Robben Ford and love the tone he gets from his vintage Epiphone semi-hollow with the mini-humbuckers. It's not the sound of a jazzbox nor a ES-335 with full-humbuckers... it's its own thing. Since I can't afford a vintage anything, I settled on the Guild, which is a replica of the early 60s semi-hollows with the Guild Mini-HBs pickups. Very close to that warm, hollowy, bluesy tone I was after.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
Do you like Rory Gallagher by any chance ???
Had the pleasure of seeing him more than once in the early 70's.
Yeah, gotta say that Gallagher should also be on my Strat list above. That grit with a touch of twang tone he gets on tracks like "Cradle Rock" and "Hands Off" is pure Strat through a cranked up tube amp.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Remember the comeback instro album Nouveau Calls? It was pretty cool.
Not a patch on Argus though. Have pretty much all their albums and seen them 9 times. Met Andy Powell and Ted Turner as well. Still one of my favourite bands ( and sssssssssoooooo underrated). I have just sold my Gibson Flying V. always wanted one because of AP.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:05 PM

1964 Gibson SG Std., then a 1958 Gibson Les Paul Burst, due to Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Michael Bloomfield.
1982 Fender 'the Strat' walnut/gold hardware, due to Sultans of Swing/Knopfler
1988 Fender Telecaster.......Robben Ford, Danny Gatton
1997 PRS McCarty model, Started playing my own material.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
Not a patch on Argus though. Have pretty much all their albums and seen them 9 times. Met Andy Powell and Ted Turner as well. Still one of my favourite bands ( and sssssssssoooooo underrated). I have just sold my Gibson Flying V. always wanted one because of AP.
Speaking of Strats Ted and Laurie could both make one sing.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
Speaking of Strats Ted and Laurie could both make one sing.
Okay, perhaps you've forced me into another admission: I chased Ted's Strat sound on the middle solo of "Blowin' Free" from Live Dates for years and only recently got a Strat the does it effortlessly. Alder body, maple neck, classic pickups. Nothing special. But lurvly.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-13-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Okay, perhaps you've forced me into another admission: I chased Ted's Strat sound on the middle solo of "Blowin' Free" from Live Dates for years and only recently got a Strat the does it effortlessly. Alder body, maple neck, classic pickups. Nothing special. But lurvly.

Bob
Yes his tone is simply delish, and lurvly.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:46 PM

John Frusciante and J Mascis would be the two biggest ones. Strats, and then Jazzmasters, have been my main guitars since I picked up electric around 1997.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustigator View Post
Not because of any hero worship, per se, but because I liked a certain sound that a particular guitarist I admire achieved with a particular type of guitar.

For example,

Strat: never could quite nail that Clapton/ Hendrix/ Robin Trower warm blues neck pickup sound till I got one.

Guild Starfire IV: I'm a huge fan of Robben Ford and love the tone he gets from his vintage Epiphone semi-hollow with the mini-humbuckers. It's not the sound of a jazzbox nor a ES-335 with full-humbuckers... it's its own thing. Since I can't afford a vintage anything, I settled on the Guild, which is a replica of the early 60s semi-hollows with the Guild Mini-HBs pickups. Very close to that warm, hollowy, bluesy tone I was after.
That makes a lot of sense, Gator.

... and Welcome to the AGF!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:47 PM

I bought a Telecaster in 1981 just because of Springsteen. I've been a Tele guy ever since, despite the fact that the 70's telecasters, such as the one I brought, didn't sound all that great. If you are tempted to buy a 70s Tele, you should look at the better MIM versions offered today -- I mean, a Baja would totally destroy it. Save your money. But yeah, I was influenced and it stuck.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:15 AM

I wanted a Strat not least because one of my early influences was (and still is) Mark Knopfler. I spent many evenings in my bedroom working on the Sultans Of Swing, Once Upon a Time in the West and Tunnel of Love licks. My other big influence when I was a teenager and learning guitar and bass was David Gilmour. I learned all the guitar parts to Wish You Were Here and The Wall - it was only a few years ago that I learned that the solo on Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 was done on a Les Paul with P90 pickups direct into the desk and then reamped to get the sound you hear on the album.

I still have my first (and so far only) Strat that I bought in 1992.

Jerry Donahue, Danny Gatton, Albert Lee and others have also inspired me and I love my ASAT and Tele too!

When I was getting into fretless bass I was a big fan of the Police - that led me to getting an Ibanez MC940 Musician fretless. I still have that though it doesn't get played so often...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 10-15-2015, 10:10 AM

Not any one amp or pedal in particular but Frank Zappa being one of my guitar hero's got me into all kinds of pedals. David Gilmore among others inspired me to get a Digitech Whammy. Most 80's band inspired me to get chorus and so on.

Having said all that I don't sound anything like Zappa or Gilmore or 80's bands. Wish I did but I cannot claim to be that good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars