The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-03-2014, 02:06 PM

I guess I'm different as I've never purchased any gear because my "guitar hero(s)" uses and/or used the same gear. I also realize that even with the same gear, I would never sound like my "guitar hero(s)." That said, I do have a Rickenbacker 360/12 Carl Wilson Limited Edition, not because Carl Wilson played one, but because it was the best sounding 12 string available at the time I acquired it.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
jimmy page and the les paul. couldn't afford a std burst so i found a beat up gold plate 71' black beauty with 2 pu's. it's been with me for decades.

had a cry baby once but i tossed it (literally) for a morely bad horsie. not as classic sounding, but with only one moving part (the pedal), it's a whole species apart reliability wise.

i don't really use a lot of pedals except for the wah, and a flanger. so whatever he used i don't.

page rocked marshall's live, but i don't like them and never wanted one. i have a line 6 flextone and currently use a custom, the modern hi-gain, and the rectified settings. need to find a foot switch for that thing though.
What a classic image. I'm sure Jimmy sold a few thousand Les Pauls, and a few Gibson double necks as well.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:35 AM

Old 10-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Walked by Sam Ash in NYC back in 1970 & saw my dream- a 1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman hanging in the window. (from too many G.H. early Beatles photos). Had it ever since...
Old 10-09-2015, 06:06 PM

Nobody really because those that would have influenced me played guitars that really didn't work out for me. Les Pauls always felt too "small" and never felt right. SGs? Nose heavy and frankly they always felt too flimsy. So the guitars my heroes played just weren't for me. Believe me though those two models would have been it. From Pete with his numbered Pauls, to Pages bursts, to well, the list is to long. And the SG from Zappa (yeah, it was a custom job and not a gibson) to Iommi to Angus Young. I wish they would have worked out.

So right now my main guitars are an early-ish Parker Fly Deluxe, and a Japanese built EVH wolfgang junior (the fender one). I also have a SSO (strat shaped object) I am fond of. I used to enjoy my pine Esquire partscaster, but my son has pretty much taken that one over!

Kind of weird to have so much love for such iconic guitars, but not play them...
Old 10-09-2015, 08:27 PM

Recently picked up my first electric, a 62 reissue strat, influenced by John Frusciante. Love the sunburst with rosewood neck, can't afford a real '62!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:04 PM

Michael Bloomfield.
Tells you how old I am...
Old 10-09-2015, 09:10 PM

I got my red SG because Jack Black played one in "School of Rock"....

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 10-09-2015, 10:38 PM

Nothing was bought specifically because of any one 'hero', but obviously many people influenced me to have the classic Strat single coil sounds and fat LP sounds in the lineup, as well as the Fender/Marshall amps. If Page were the only person to ever play a LP it would have been enough to hook me, though he failed to attract me to the masonite and naugahyde Danelectro. The pedals I use are just stuff I accumulated and was able to make work (as opposed to stuff floating around that I wasn't able to assimilate), a Vox wah, a Roto-Vibe, a Rat I bought for $5 in '86 which goes for stupid money now, a Small Stone, a home made passive volume/toggle.

I really do want, want, WANT a Hamer Standard because of Rick Nielsen.

I always wanted a white Univox HiFlyer because my cousin had one and it was a really cool guitar, of course Kurt Cobain hauled off and played one and drove the price of an inexpensive but groovy import just a bit out of proportion.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:42 PM

My favorite guitarist is James Calvin Wilsey. (His mainly Stratocaster tones defined the sound of Chris Isaak and shaped my love of Fender amps and Stratocasters/Telecasters).

Then in no particular order:

Hank Marvin, Danny Gatton, Brian Setzer, Dick Dale, James Burton, Luther Perkins, The Vanduras (father and son), Chet Atkins, Johnny Hiland, plus others.

Last edited by Steel and wood; 10-10-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Michael Bloomfield.
Tells you how old I am...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sled View Post
I got my red SG because Jack Black played one in "School of Rock"....
I see a couple of different generations here

I'll say that if Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden) had an affordable (i.e. non-US made) signature model back in the '80s I would have bought one rather than the BC Warlock I bought.

This was my favorite guitar back then. Adrian played it on their '84-'85 World tour:
Old 10-10-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I see a couple of different generations here

I'll say that if Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden) had an affordable (i.e. non-US made) signature model back in the '80s I would have bought one rather than the BC Warlock I bought.

This was my favorite guitar back then. Adrian played it on their '84-'85 World tour:
They were both playing a lot of Lados from Canada back then. Still, for me it's another vote for the Hamer Standard.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
They were both playing a lot of Lados from Canada back then. Still, for me it's another vote for the Hamer Standard.

An even younger Adrian, cool pic. He also played some Destroyers too.

Adrian has said many times, including in the past few years, that he still thinks the best guitar he owns is that Goldtop Les Paul.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Joe Walsh and Duane Allman influenced choice of my first serious electric. I wanted those full, sustaining sounds.

I still have it, thirty-eight years later.

Other than that, much later on I finally picked up a guitar because one of my early influences, Andy Powell, played one. In my case it is an inexpensive Gibson version of the '67 Flying V, just for that funny, banjo-ish sound.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-10-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Other than that, much later on I finally picked up a guitar because one of my early influences, Andy Powell, played one. In my case it is an inexpensive Gibson version of the '67 Flying V, just for that funny, banjo-ish sound.
Remember the comeback instro album Nouveau Calls? It was pretty cool.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars