The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 AM

Default Taylor electric "Club"?

I realized I hadn't taken any pics of my relatively new T3/B. My ears are leaning towards the T3/B these days and it plays a hair better than my T5 at the moment. I have been debating trying to get different pickups and quick connects so I can throw in some Lollartons or other various pickups. If I had a ton of dough, I'd simply get a 2-3 T3s with different pickups.

Yes, I realize most people hate Taylors in general as well as these guitars in particular. I have been "told" a few times.

Edit: Title changed to Taylor electric to include all T and SB series guitars.

Last edited by s2y; 10-09-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Very nice. I love Bigsbys. I had also considered a T3 but did end up with an SB-2 which I love. Taylor electrics are very nice, well built and sound great. Works for me -- Darwin
Old 10-09-2013, 01:03 PM

I have a T5 and like it though it is a bit quirky. I'm curious if anyone has ever tried running aftermarket acoustic saddles in a T3 for use as a hybrid. They are really wonderful playing guitars and very comfortable for live playing.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Nice pic of the hollowbody family! Lke I've commented many times, I was strongly drawn to the T3 at first glance... but I'm a "hollowbody" kind of guy, I guess!

Are you going to be a "full" member of the Taylor Electric Club? Of course, that would mean acquiring both a single and double-cut solidbody to go along with your T5 and T3!!!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Nice T3/T5 combo!

I can't get enough of my Limited T5. I barely play any of my other guitars anymore!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:21 PM

They are wonderful guitars with a great variety of tones...

Old 10-10-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Very nice. I love Bigsbys. I had also considered a T3 but did end up with an SB-2 which I love. Taylor electrics are very nice, well built and sound great. Works for me -- Darwin
I edited the title to include the SB series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I have a T5 and like it though it is a bit quirky. I'm curious if anyone has ever tried running aftermarket acoustic saddles in a T3 for use as a hybrid. They are really wonderful playing guitars and very comfortable for live playing.
I'll see what kind of room there is in the control cavity. I haven't really had any reasons to check under the hood with my T3/B yet. Since the T3/B has roller saddles, probably can't add a piezo. Not sure if Taylor's take on the tune-o-matic bridge is a no-mod swap. I don't currently own any guitars with that particular bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Nice pic of the hollowbody family! Lke I've commented many times, I was strongly drawn to the T3 at first glance... but I'm a "hollowbody" kind of guy, I guess!

Are you going to be a "full" member of the Taylor Electric Club? Of course, that would mean acquiring both a single and double-cut solidbody to go along with your T5 and T3!!!
I'd consider owning an SB1 or SB2 if I had the available funds.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 AM

I wanted to love the T5, but it didn't give me what I really wanted/needed as well as my Crowdster Plus 2. That said, a couple friends have had them. AMazingly well made guitars, worth the money. Quirky? Yup.

The T3... more of a "real" electric, and THAT I'd love to get and put a PowerBridge in... that would be SWEET...
Old 10-27-2013, 09:28 AM

Some beautiful examples of T/5, T/3's on this thread. I have had 3 T5's so far: 2 Ovangul LTD's and a standard with a flame maple top. All wonderful and versatile guitars, lightweight and comfortable to play and certainly no reason in the world for anyone to "hate" them. Coupled with Taylors increadibly consistant and excellent build quality these guitars are no brainers.

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 10-27-2013, 01:12 PM

What beautiful guitars!! I don't have one but they are great guitars. Great pics too!
Old 10-27-2013, 02:14 PM

I've only got a Macassar Ebony T5 and a the "Liberty Tree" T5.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
How does the macassar change the tone? I don't quite have the space for 2 T5s, but I wouldn't object to the 12 string at some point. I could see myself trying to snag another T3 for other pickups. I might look at the quick connectors and see if I can get more.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
That's it? Seriously, fantastic!
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM

This entire thread should be illegal! It should be removed immediately. This is seriously fueling my jones for a T5! Gorgeous guitars guys!

Go SPURS Go
Old 10-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

Yes, I realize most people hate Taylors in general as well as these guitars in particular. I have been "told" a few times.
"Hate" might be a tad strong. I generally 'prefer' Martin or Gibson acoustic tonality, but I've played a number of Taylors I'd be quite happy to give a home to. I don't see any point in vilifying anyone for holding a different opinion.

However, there does seem to be a curious belief that acoustic guitar makers have no business making electric guitars, and vice versa.

For a reverse example, look at all the vitriol poured out, here and elsewhere, upon PRS for their acoustics.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars