The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
Somebody once quipped that if there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only creatures to survive will be cockroaches and Keith Richards..
Add Ozzy to that list.

Good question about teles. I'll have to try one out.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 AM

If I get into electrics, I will probably add a Tele as my next guitar.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Telecasters are sort of a culture in of themselves.

The thing is, purists would tell you a Strat HAS TO HAVE 3 single coil pickups and a Telecaster HAS TO HAVE 2 single coil pickups.

Variations like humbuckers or P90s in a Strat or Tele are abominations punishable by prison terms in many countries, if the decision were left to the purists. That said, my Strats both have 3 single coils and my Teles both have 2 single coils. That doesn't mean I'm not open to the idea of modifying one or the other.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM

Clearly I didn't get that memo.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

Clearly I didn't get that memo.
Wow, gorgeous.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the builder sending it my way. It has been about a decade since I've had a Tele. I'm going with a flatter fretboard and 2x4 tuner config to allow me to use a Hipshot D-Tuner while keeping the B string shorter and eliminating the need for a string tree. B-Bender, which should be interesting. Was going to also use a 5 way switching and a push/pull knob to use the neck+bridge combo.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

I have heard a lot of great players do great things on Telecasters. I don't own one, but I might have to get one some day. I have changed my mind over the years about their value.

- Glenn
Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Thanks. I'm looking forward to the builder sending it my way. It has been about a decade since I've had a Tele. I'm going with a flatter fretboard and 2x4 tuner config to allow me to use a Hipshot D-Tuner while keeping the B string shorter and eliminating the need for a string tree. B-Bender, which should be interesting. Was going to also use a 5 way switching and a push/pull knob to use the neck+bridge combo.
That looks great--I love the inlaid pickguard. What kind of pickups are you using?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
That looks great--I love the inlaid pickguard. What kind of pickups are you using?
Thanks! Hard to tell, but the inlay on the pick guard is a rattlesnake. I may have had too much coffee when I came up with most of the specs.

I'm using Fender Noiseless at this point. My guitarist uses them in his Strats and I kinda dig the tone. A lot of big Tele guys don't seem to like 'em. They weren't too expensive and it's not like I'm married to them.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM
.tom the übergeek

For me, the lack of "choices" makes me just play. I tend to work my right hand more dynamically and position forward and backward at the bridge, much like I do when playing acoustically.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Suhr (Strat style) but I sometimes let the pickup choice do the heavy lifting for me on it.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 PM

I don't have too much tele experience, but I've been pleased with the Bill Lawrence (Wilde) stacked tele pu's as well as the Seymour Duncan strat stacks for the neck and middle spots and a Duncan tele stack in the bridge (in a Crook tele copy).
Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Even Bill Lawrence's inexpensive Keystone pickups for Tele are dynamite.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:59 PM

I don't think I've ever really heard Tele pickups I didn't like. If a pile of money fell in my lap, I think I'd want a chambered Tele with Lollar Charlie Christian pickups and a 5 way with parallel, series, and series out of phase.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Guest 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
What's not to like? a good tele is lightweight (for a solidbody), good for various styles of music, easy to use (no extra knobs or switches here) and good looking to boot.

Plus they're easily customized and serviced. Leo got it rigjt the first time...the only solid body electric I'll ever need.

Mr. B (tele fan since 1996)
Maybe yes...maybe no...

Have revised my take on Teles and Strats...except for the "cutting through" school (Teles).

Last edited by Guest 429; 02-14-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 PM

I agree with Fret Buzz. Essential.

I think no one has mentioned the action. Buttery smooth. A pleasure to play, feel wise. Tonal variations are endless. And you can really cut through any mix with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars