The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-31-2011, 03:22 PM

Default Best Electric for Acoustic Player

I have found that my Telecaster feels most like my acoustics. The playability and feel of the neck is similar. (IMO)

That would be my choice.

guitars? yep still have some
Old 05-31-2011, 06:38 PM

Confusing, isn't it?

I agree with Gypsyblue on the telecaster no vote. I find the tele not versatile at all. It's wonderful on stage, for it is light and so easy on the shoulder, back, and body - four hours on-stage is nothing. That is it's main advantage. Teles do take a lot of manipulating to get a good tone. AND the necks are slow, AND . . . . . . . if it's Fender it's a Stratocaster. That is what Fender players use to shread and be beautiful - look it up. As for PRS, there are so many models and they all play well - you must find them and try them out.

I too have a '54 Tele. The black pick guard is standard. Gypsy, if you got yours with white and switched, it was switched on you before you got it.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 PM

Default Fwiw...

I have:
1. Gibson Les Paul Deluxe
2. Fender Telecaster
3. Fender Strat
4. Washburn "335-copy"

My "go to" electric guitar is the Fender Tele. And yes, I also play my Taylor 6 and 12 string a/e guitars, Takamine a/e classical, Kentucky mandolin, and an off-brand banjo.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:45 AM

"Best" eh? ...I think you know the answer to that one

So you want a nut on the wider side, then you ain't gonna get that in any Strat or Tele unless it's a custom build or a non-Fender strat/tele type guit. I'd look for Gibby or the ubiquitous Gibby-esque variants if wider nut is more your speed.

Also consider neck thickness as Gibson's so-called "50s-style" necks are on the thicker side. If you want your electric to feel more like your Taylor, look for a "60s-style" neck. I am giving you the Gibson generalization, but among the Gibby-style gutiars out there, a vast array of neck thickness and widths exist. Recall your Les Paul and think about how that felt in your hand, perhaps. You must try them and you'll likely find which do and do not work for you.

As for tone, well that, friend, is all over the map, as it is with acoustics. But any desire to foray into heavy sounds and I'd advise a humbucker guitar. Buckers can go from light/clean to heavy better than single coil pups can ...not that the single coils "can't," you can push em there, but the tone just isn't quite there if heavy OD is an important option you want in there. By contrast, a good bucker can span a very wide breadth of tone.

That said, I love single coils for their overall clarity and tight bottom end. Many refer to their "piano-like" lows that are tight and percussive. Even overdriven, singles have a wonderful note definition that is their signature tone. A good guit with single coils can likewise span a wide breadth of tone, just stopping short of the heavier "metallica-style" saturation.

Personally, for your first guitar, I'd shy away from P90 guitars as these are more a nuanced flavor that some swear by, and others can do without. While single coils and sharing many of the attributes of a Strat/Tele tone family, P90s are hotter, fatter sounding (good, really), but along with that tend to be noisy; and tend to be very sensitive to lighting and/or electical noise. A good P90 guit is nice to have, but I'd say better as a second electric for flava ...yeah I know, I know, IMHO

Then there's hollow and semi-hollow bodies vs solid bods. Given what you've said thus far, I think you'd be happier with going to a good, versatile solid body. Later if you get enamored with electrics, feel out some semi-hollows ...again for a different flava.

I'd find myself a good big-box guitar store and go in with patience and an open mind. Play everything you can get your hands on, and all through one decent tube amp sans effects, and get a good feel for how each guitar responds to your touch/dynamics. The various PRS, Gibson, and the likes are great places to start, then go to the variants (Epi, Schecter, etc.) and see if any of those speak to you. I love Strats, and my 1980 is my go-to live guit, but the neck/nut may turn you off. Yet an HSS Strat (humbucker single single) is easily one of the most versatile tone machines known to mankind. See if that floats your boat. Hope this helps you a bit ...have fun!

Edward

Last edited by edward993; 06-01-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
Confusing, isn't it?

I agree with Gypsyblue on the telecaster no vote. I find the tele not versatile at all. It's wonderful on stage, for it is light and so easy on the shoulder, back, and body - four hours on-stage is nothing. That is it's main advantage. Teles do take a lot of manipulating to get a good tone. AND the necks are slow, AND . . . . . . . if it's Fender it's a Stratocaster. That is what Fender players use to shread and be beautiful - look it up. As for PRS, there are so many models and they all play well - you must find them and try them out.

I too have a '54 Tele. The black pick guard is standard. Gypsy, if you got yours with white and switched, it was switched on you before you got it.
Mine did come with the black bakelite pickguard that's on it now. But it's not original. I did remove it, set it on a quart can of paint and spray it with nitro so it looks stock and even has the overspray on the back side except for the unlacquered circle from the quart paint can the guard sat on. That's how Fender did it in the early 50's. Years ago I found a white pickguard from a '57 in perfect condition so I keep it in the case along with the original pickups and bridge. I'll probably never change it back to stock but when I'm dead and gone the next owner will have all of the parts. I've never seen a '54 with with an original black pickguard...I think most did have white. Here's one: http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-15874.htm

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

I was in the same camp, ;ooking at electrics after being an acoustic player. I bought a 90's schecter strat and a vox 4 watt tube amp (200 new) AC4TV mini, and am so happy with them. The schecter is basically an old anderson. If I could afford it I would buy a new or slightly used anderson classic or drop top strat. I will hold on to the Schecter though and may add another one if one comes up. My guitar teacher who is a jazz musician uses an 03 hollow droptop as his main guitar- very sweet. He also swears by the old schecters which he brings in to lessons a lot. Check out the anderson website and forum, as well as the gearpage and ebay-
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s

Last edited by kirkham13; 06-01-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:05 PM

well, i guess there are really only two types of camps in the electric guitar arena: fender type(strat, tele) and gibson type(les paul, 335). figure out which type you would like and go from there whether it is a PRS, DeTemple, Collings, etc.

good luck!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 PM

Love my strat. But picked up one of the new SB Taylor double cutaways. Beautiful guitar with great action. Being able to switch the plug and play loaded pickguards/pick-ups is awesome. I have a couple different combo's. Right now I'm playing with Alnico set-up. Check it out.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 AM

As an acoustic player, I like my telecaster, BUT..... my Gretsch 5120 is great. It feels good, sounds good, and looks good. Great bang for the buck, however, it is not single coil and has a distinct sound. good luck

Acoustic Solo/Duo
Mackie/Soundcraft/EV
Takamine/Guild/Gretsch/Yamaha/Fender
Old 06-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Obviously, the only logical choice here is a Gibson SG Standard.

Was that so hard?
Old 06-05-2011, 03:42 AM

i am happy with my prs se semi hollow.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 AM

I have mad love for the Gibson SG Standard - incredible guitar and a dark-horse amongst electric guitars. Why? Word is it's hard to tune/keep tuned. Rumor mill mentions other neck issues.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
I have mad love for the Gibson SG Standard - incredible guitar and a dark-horse amongst electric guitars. Why? Word is it's hard to tune/keep tuned. Rumor mill mentions other neck issues.
I don't have any tuning issues with my SG... rumors are just that. Best-selling Gibson electric of all-time because it ROCKS!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 AM

Right on, DB.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:38 PM

I recently just bought a PRS SE Santana and it is awesome guitar for the money. The build quality is top notch.
Kirn strat
Taylor GA4 short scale
Kirn barnbuster Tele
Gretsch 5120
1988 Fender AVRI strat
Republic tricone resonator
Breedlove AC250SM 12 string
Brian May RS replica

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars