The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-31-2011, 09:59 AM

Default Best Electric for Acoustic player?

Okay I have wanted to get an electric guitar for a while. I used to have a Les Paul standard that I had to sell about 11 years ago to help pay for college. I can now afford a new guitar but don't play electric very much so I am looking for some advice. I already have a T-5 which I like but it is not a real electric. Since I own several taylors (616, 814, K-24, and two R-taylors) I decided to buy a taylor solidbody but just don't like it. I liked my Les Paul quite a bit and am wondering if that is the way to go or maybe a PRS. Any opinions? Yes I know to play them and have tried both but with little experience with electrics I don't have the same base to judge that I would with an acoustic.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:05 AM

What do you want to play on it? I'm going to assume that with all your acoustics, you're not going to be playing screaming death metal or some such. As primarily an acoustic player, I've always felt more comfortable with the size of an archtop than a solid body. Something in the 335 family is versatile enough for most rock situations but can still play acceptable jazz type sounds.
My opinion, YMMV.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:06 AM

Well, I personally favour a telecaster or a single p-90 Gibson, LP or SG junior.

But that's just me...
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 AM

I was a Les Paul fan in the 60's but not any longer.

My favorite solid body guitars are the Fender Strat and Tele.

My favorite electric of all time is my semi hollowbody Gibson ES-335. That's the one I'd suggest - especially for an acoustic guitarist. Doesn't sound like a plank. But take some time and find a real good one!

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 05-31-2011, 10:22 AM

I have found that Gibson's and Gibson-type guitars play easier than their Fender counterparts. But it gets down to what you like and you've had experience with a Les Paul and you like it, remember it fondly, etc.

My recommendos: Les Paul - ES 345 dot neck (reissue is great) - PRS (really nice).

Master luthier John Carruthers of Carruthers Guitars makes a 345-type that has hollow chambers but is sealed with a maple drop-top. Amazing playability, sound, craftmanship. It's called the CSA model (link below). I wouldn't hesitate to have John build me a CSA. Good fortune - let us all know when you need an amp - I'm sure we have opinions on those creatures.

http://www.carruthersguitars.com/pag...sa/csamain.htm
Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 AM

I was looking for exactly the same thing: an electric that felt good and sounded good to an acoustic player like me, and a few months ago I received my special order of a Godin Kingpin CWII. I really like it because:

- being a cutaway f-hole "jazzbox" build, it has the dimensions of an acoustic, unlike the T-5, for example, which has the overly svelte feel of a standard electric.

- it's set up for 12-52 strings, so as an acoustic player I don't feel as though I have to be extra careful not to use the same kind of plucking force (ahem!)

- it gives the full range of sounds that an electric can. The pickups are P-90s.

- it can be played as acoustic archtop. The tone is quite different from a flattop, but sometimes it's nice just to play it as it is, unplugged.

- it won't break the bank. Can't discuss price details here, but Elderly has one in stock, I think, with the regular price tag.

I'm really enjoying this guitar. I bought it primarily for adding colour to mutlitrack recordings, but I find myself giving it a fair amount of play-time alongside my acoustics. I'm becoming quite a fan of Godin - they seem able to turn out quality, no-nonsense instruments at affordable prices.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM

I know this sounds strange but as a kid I was really into the old school metallica but never played guitar back then. I am not sure I will get into that heavy type of music but would like a real electric that could handle it if I do as well as a heavy crunchy sound. I know this is mainly due to pups but I dont really play or have leanings towards jazz right now. I can see that this may happen in the future and if it does I will look for a nice hollow body but I want something that is more grungy sounding than that right now. I know reliving my youth and I'm not even 40 yet, next thing I'll be asking about is convertibles. J/K
Old 05-31-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmile View Post
I know this sounds strange but as a kid I was really into the old school metallica but never played guitar back then. I am not sure I will get into that heavy type of music but would like a real electric that could handle it if I do as well as a heavy crunchy sound. I know this is mainly due to pups but I dont really play or have leanings towards jazz right now. I can see that this may happen in the future and if it does I will look for a nice hollow body but I want something that is more grungy sounding than that right now. I know reliving my youth and I'm not even 40 yet, next thing I'll be asking about is convertibles. J/K

Based on this I would say you can NEVER go wrong with a good Telecaster (IMO the most versatile electric out there), but you really might enjoy something with P-90 pickups. They will still give you the enhanced versatility of single-coil pickups, but can do some MEAN grunge!!! A PRS perhaps?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I liked my Les Paul quite a bit and am wondering if that is the way to go or maybe a PRS.
Personally, I love Teles, and they are great choices for most acoustic guitarists who want to dabble in the electric world. However, if you've owned a Les Paul before and liked it, it's worth pointing out that they are great guitars.

One thing a lot of acoustic guitarists have issues with is the string spacing on electrics. So many have fairly narrow necks compared to a lot of acoustics. I would highly recommend going into some guitar stores and playing everything that appeals to you. It's likely that one or two will stand out as good choices for your style and feel.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 AM

I think a 1 3/4" nut with a thin neck is a must. I have played wider necks and classical style and can not get used to them. I know I had a gibson and that is part of the problem. I liked it but it didn't inspire me to pick it up. I don't know why I just rarely played it. I have had acustics that are the same way. Nice guitars but I just had no desire to pick it up ie a James Goodall Ebony Parlor. I am sure it is someones dream guitar and I love my Goodall KGC with cedar top and play it all the time but the small body of the parlor was just not for me even though it was a beautiful guitar to look at. That makes me thing that maybe a Les Paul is just not for me. It seems like a Tele or PRS is the most likely choice so what specific models are the best to look at? Price is not that big of an issue but I don't like to pay more for bling unless it comes with something else worth paying for.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I think a 1 3/4" nut with a thin neck is a must. I have played wider necks and classical style and can not get used to them. I know I had a gibson and that is part of the problem. I liked it but it didn't inspire me to pick it up. I don't know why I just rarely played it. I have had acustics that are the same way. Nice guitars but I just had no desire to pick it up ie a James Goodall Ebony Parlor. I am sure it is someones dream guitar and I love my Goodall KGC with cedar top and play it all the time but the small body of the parlor was just not for me even though it was a beautiful guitar to look at. That makes me thing that maybe a Les Paul is just not for me. It seems like a Tele or PRS is the most likely choice so what specific models are the best to look at? Price is not that big of an issue but I don't like to pay more for bling unless it comes with something else worth paying for.
For a PRS I would say look at a McCarty Goldtop with P-90's. For a Tele I would say go play a bunch and find the one that works for you. You will have a hard time finding a Tele with a 1 3/4" nut. Don't know about the PRS except the necks tend to be more like Gibson then Fender.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:24 AM

A slightly thiner neck might be okay I just can't stand wide necks which is one reason I dislike my taylor solidbody. It was a gift and the salesman convinced my wife that if I play acoustic I would like the extra wide neck. I can not get used to it when playing cords I miss strings all the time. Luckily in electric it usually doesn't matter nearly as much as it would when playing an acoustic but it bothers me. Also why no love for Strats from the fender guys?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:26 AM

I'm a Tele player...but I wouldn't suggest a Tele for a first or second electric guitar for most players. I think they are the most difficult of all guitars to get a nice sound out of. When I was a beginning player back in the 60's I'd pick up a 60's Tele and just hear nothing that I liked coming out of my amp. So steely and harsh sounding! I really had to develop some technique before I was man enough to handle a Tele and shape a warm round tone with my hands.

Here's mine: an original 1954. I keep the original bridge and pickups in the tweed case. I have the original white pickguard too, but I like the look of a black bakelite pickguard more. After trying Bill Kirchen's old Tele with Bardens I had to have a set for myself, so I have Joe Barden pickups and a Joe Barden bridge on mine. I'm a big Danny Gatton fan.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 05-31-2011, 11:40 AM

I have three electrics:
  • Strat
  • Les Paul
  • Sheraton (ES 335 type)
Each has its own niche and I enjoy playing each of them a lot. They are all so different and I grab any of them depending on how I feel from day to day. I could only keep one of them (at gun point ) it would be the Strat. It is just so much fun to play. I just has a wonderful feel to it... from the neck to the contoured body, to the overall weight to its balance. You can get a lot of different tones out of it with the three pickups. Just my personal preference.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:15 PM

I have a bunch of electric and acoustic guitars. One electric that feels a bit like an acoustic is the discontinued Ovation VXT. Mine has the Seymour Duncan 59 pu's, and has a great full neck shape and sounds quite a bit like a Gibson ES-335. Used ones are probably pretty cheap since they never caught on...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars