The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-23-2018, 05:11 AM

Default K&K Pure Mini + Bartlett mic --> stereo jack

Hi guys.

Is it possible to attach a Bartlett mic to my K&K Pure Mini and then change the jack output to a stereo jack?
The basic idea is to do the exactly same thing as the Trinity system - only with a better mic.

I run it through a Felix from Grace Design, so phantom power is not a problem.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2018, 06:09 AM

I THINK the phantom power supply would need another circuit (in addition to the tip / ring of a stereo socket) to deliver power to the mic, so I don't believe it is possible. I have used a K&K with a passive soundhole pickup in this manner, but I'm sure my luthier told me an active mic wouldn't work.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 04-23-2018, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

It appears that the Bartlett "Guitar Mic" uses 3-wire phantom power. It uses an XLR connector. To merge that with a K&K into one jack, you would need a 4-wire jack.

Bartlett also sells its "Guitar Mic B", which has an external box with a 9v battery inside to provide power to the mic. The mic is hardwired to the box:

https://www.bartlettaudio.com/collec...attery-powered

It is quite possible that this box simply sends 2-wire bias/T power to the mic (which is the same wiring that many internal guitar mics use). If so, you should be able to use "Guitar Mic B" and the K&K with a 3-wire jack on the guitar and either (i) connect the mic to Bartlett's external box or (ii) connect the mic with the Grace Felix Bias/T power circuit. In either case, you would have to cut the wire from the mic to the external box and rewire things. I suggest you contact Bartlett to get more information to see if that will work.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornHouser View Post
Hi guys.

Is it possible to attach a Bartlett mic to my K&K Pure Mini and then change the jack output to a stereo jack?
The basic idea is to do the exactly same thing as the Trinity system - only with a better mic.

I run it through a Felix from Grace Design, so phantom power is not a problem.

Thanks!
Hi HH

ALL of my K&K Pure Mini pickups (I've had 6 in acoustic guitars over the past 12 years) came wired to a stereo jack…prewired to add a microphone.

Sure, people used to add Joe Mills microphones back in the day, and lots of others. Doug Young (a regular participant in these discussions) would be the guy to chat with. I think he's got more experience with pickups than anyone else around.

His website (Doug Young dot com) has lots of info and sound samples.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-23-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi HH

His website (Doug Young dot com) has lots of info and sound samples.

Thanks man. I'll reach out to him.

Do you know if it's still possible to find Joe Mills around?
Old 04-23-2018, 03:12 PM

I used to use a Bartlett mic, and for the most part liked the sound of it. I don't think it would be a good choice for this application.

The capsule is an electret capsule, so you could cut the cord and wire it unbalanced to the TRS jack, you would then need a preamp to supply a small voltage to the ring.

But the Bartlett mic has additional circuitry inside the XLR connector (or box) beyond just power. I think there's a low cut and other filters built in to make the mic sound better inside the sound hole, so if you cut it you would lose all of that.

-Jim
Old 04-23-2018, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornHouser View Post
Thanks man. I'll reach out to him.

Do you know if it's still possible to find Joe Mills around?
hey guys, I think you got the answer on the Bartlett. You could reach out to them to be sure, but from what I recall last time I looked, they didn't seem to be intending their mics to be used as a 2nd source, so they don't really offer the configuration you're looking for. The mic could work if you just cut the wire, as Jim points out, but you'd lose their high-pass filter. There are other options around tho. Lots of people, including me, have used the DPA 4061, which often turn up on ebay for much less than the new price ($500 new, I've gotten them for as little as $50). I've lately been using an Audix L5O as a 2nd source (wired to the ring, 9-12 volts from a preamp like Felix). it sounds good, and they're $200 new. This is the mic Laurence Juber uses. The one issue I've had with that mic is that it's really hot! With Felix, all the way down, the mic is still pretty active. I just picked up an AKG 516, which many people also recommend. It has a bit of low end rolloff, which should help inside a guitar. I haven't gotten around to trying to install it yet, tho. The mount isn't exactly made for guitar, so you have to rig something up. I think AlohaChris here has used that mic.

I just gave away a Joe Mills - probably shouldn't have! I think they're pretty hard to find these days, but you could set a watch on ebay or reverb.

I understand the desire to have a better mic than the silver bullet - that's what got me started trying different mics. It's not entirely clear, tho, how much it really helps in the end. Lots of people get good sounds from the K&K mic (Antoine DuFour, Don Ross, etc), and you usually can't blend all that much mic in anyway.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
…I understand the desire to have a better mic than the silver bullet - that's what got me started trying different mics. It's not entirely clear, tho, how much it really helps in the end. Lots of people get good sounds from the K&K mic (Antoine DuFour, Don Ross, etc), and you usually can't blend all that much mic in anyway.
Hi Doug

I'm one who gets great results from the original Silver Bullet BUT if I were purchasing or installing a K&K dual source in a new guitar today, I'd be looking for a different source than K&K for the mic.

The new 'limits' imposed by K&K on their mics (they won't operate if the provided power is above 9 volts) would eliminate all my preamps.

And I'm not all that happy with the sound and features of the K&K Preamps I've tried (I own the belt version, and have tried the mid-priced model and the Quantum).

Actually, if I were starting fresh (or had a friend who was) I'd likely go with the K&K Pure Mini and a ToneDexter.

I've got some fairly decent mics to pull samples with, and the things I've heard about it here, and the samples I hear online (including your YouTube video) make it seem like a tempting, and more simple, alternative.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-24-2018, 07:45 PM

Check out the miniflex 2mic model 4. It’s a great mic and I have it wired as a second source in my d35.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Good points, larry. Id forgotten about the new voltage restrictions on the kk. I also agree that the tondexter makes a mic much less relevant.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
bartlett, felix, k&k pure mini