The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2020, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Perhaps significantly, the Martin 0-28VS and 00-28VS have nut widths of 1&7/8 inches if made with standard specs.
I have seen custom models with the narrower nut.
Thanks for catching that. I have both, and my spreadsheet with specs for all of my guitars has the correct 1 7/8" nut width. Not sure why I got it wrong. I've corrected my earlier post.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
With Emerald carbon fiber you can special order nut size to your specification. I did that with the small, short scale X7 (not quite as wide as you prefer, but getting there at 46.5mm). I am very impressed with the guitar, but you do have to take it on faith since they only sell from the factory. If interested, spend a little time on the carbon fiber forum to get a sense of how well these guitars are regarded.
Thanks for the info, I've put the X7 on my list.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Perhaps significantly, the Martin 0-28VS and 00-28VS have nut widths of 1&7/8 inches if made with standard specs.
I have seen custom models with the narrower nut.
Thanks, I'll set up a search for these and see what turns up.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Welcome to the forum.
It would be helpful to know if you have a price range.
In my experience the 1&7/8 nut, short scale steel string instruments are often made to be similar to vintage instruments so they have a neck profile that is not shallow but rather a V, modified V or vintage profile.
I’ll be interested if anyone can suggest a model that fits your desired specs.
Good luck with your search.
I'd like to keep it down below the £600 mark (used) for a start. I'll probably have to trade my way through a few guitars before I hit the "one".

Last edited by sashcramp; 12-11-2020 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I would recommend a 2012 or earlier Seagull dreadnought, or basically everything they made before that point was short scale with a 1.8 nut, other than the slim models that have a 1.72 nut. 2012 or 2013 Godin changed all their dreadnought (if you didn't know, Godin owns Seagull) guitars from short scale to long (or regular, whatever you want to call it). BUT, there is still one Seagull dreadnought model with the short scale (and 1.8 nut), I believe it's the Entourage.
Thanks. Coincidentally, I've just picked up a 2007+ Coastline S6 Folk Cedar to try. I'll have a look at the Entourage as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
short scale, wide nut