The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Default Blisstime Saddle? Bone or not?

I ordered two saddles and nuts from Amazon. The price was great! Less that $10.00 for all four pieces.

Blisstime out of China is where they came from. They claim to be oxen bone.
For the price I have to wonder if they really are bone.

I did touch the edge of one of the nuts to a hot plate and it didn't melt.

The saddles are fully compensated and sound great.

Does anyone here know for sure if these pieces are actual bone and not some other material?
Old 08-12-2020, 03:19 PM

I've sanded a few of them and they sure smell like bone to me.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Me, too. They are bone. I wear a mask to avoid inhaling the dust, and put a wet paper towel around it to hold the dust in place while I file and sand, holding the piece in a vice.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:30 PM

I've yet to use them, but given China's use of natural resources and animal product, I see little or no reason to suspect they are anything other than bone.

Sometimes a duck is duck. Sounds like it this time. I'm careful on Amazon though with musical products. I've ordered stuff that was fake or knockoffs and it was obvious when I received them. Most notably - I ordered a Martin Strap off Amazon. It said but Martin, but it wasn't Martin. I have several and it was terrible leather - I threw it out. Wasn't worth chasing the refund. Even the labeling said Martin but it had to be fake.
Martin HD12-28 Custom 2019
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Old 08-12-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

They're bone based on the smell when I sanded one. With their stellar record on human rights, It's possible it could be human.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryc74 View Post
I've yet to use them, but given China's use of natural resources and animal product, I see little or no reason to suspect they are anything other than bone.

Sometimes a duck is duck. Sounds like it this time. I'm careful on Amazon though with musical products. I've ordered stuff that was fake or knockoffs and it was obvious when I received them. Most notably - I ordered a Martin Strap off Amazon. It said but Martin, but it wasn't Martin. I have several and it was terrible leather - I threw it out. Wasn't worth chasing the refund. Even the labeling said Martin but it had to be fake.
Refunds are so easy with Amazon, though. You probably wouldn't have even had to return it.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Refunds are so easy with Amazon, though. You probably wouldn't have even had to return it.
I'll keep this in mind for next time - the whole print the label, get to the mail - just proved too much an obstacle this time around. Had I been working from my usual office (Pre-Covid) I probably would have sent it back.

I had already pulled all the labels off in excitement never expecting it to be a fake though and had some hesitation. Not sure if pulling labels off make you stuck anymore.
Martin HD12-28 Custom 2019
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Old 08-12-2020, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure its bone, oxen...............or.......possibly some wild animal bone...

if it came with a package of seeds-BURN the seeds! don't put them in dirt to grow.

d
Old 08-13-2020, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
I'm sure its bone, oxen...............or.......possibly some wild animal bone...

if it came with a package of seeds-BURN the seeds! don't put them in dirt to grow.

d
What?? No way, those seeds were really tasty and crunchy. I figured it was a bonus snack.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion