The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 01:48 PM

Default Anybody try out some of the new Gibson Original Series?

Have not viewed or played any of the new Gibson vintage/Banner Series.None of these are a stock item apparently mainly because of the price of them.Just wondered if anyone has played any of the new models and what there thoughts are. I have only viewed a few videos on the Acoustic Letter on them.

Although,a friend at the music store had ordered a 1952 J-185 for a customer. They were pleasantly surprised how good it was when it arrived and the customer was happy with the tone and the build and took it home.
Gibson 58 Reissue Les Paul
Fender AM Tele
Gretsch Country Club

Last edited by GreenBayPacker; 08-12-2020 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Wrong Series ment Vintage/Banner
Old 08-12-2020, 01:59 PM

I bought a 50s J45 Original from Sweetwater about a month ago. Sweet guitar. I'm very happy with it. Not sure we are talking about the same series, however.

Last edited by arwhite; 08-12-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:34 PM

The 1952 J-185 now available comes from the new 2020 Gibson Custom Shop Historic Series.
The other series currently available are 'Modern Acoustic' and 'Original Acoustic' and some 'Artist'.
I can't find any 'Vintage/Banner' series currently in production.

https://www.gibson.com/Guitars/Colle...ic-custom-shop

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-12-2020, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

I simplify it in my mind by thinking of "the $5,000 line" and
"the $2,500" line ...

-Mike
Old 08-12-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I have both a hummingbird original and a 50's lg-2 original. I have been thinking about starting a thread because I think these two guitars are remarkable. To me, they are lighter and more open than typical Gibsons. They are louder and more articulate than other Gibson's I have played. In fact, I would say the Hummingbird is very close to the D-18s I have owned and played in recent years. The lg-2 has a crispness that I normally only hear in rosewood small body guitars.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:08 AM
Charter Member

I owned a 50s LG-2 Reissue for a brief spell earlier this year. These guitars sound fantastic. I’m not sure if the whole series has chunky necks, but mine sure did. Make sure you check the specs for the neck shape to be sure it works for you.

I sold mine, but it truly was an airy crisp fantastic guitar.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:23 AM

I played the 1934 Jumbo when I visited Sweetwater before the virus situation erupted. I thought it was one of the five best new acoustic guitars I had ever played and I've played hundreds of top shelf new instruments over the years. Just an incredible guitar--loud, punchy, dynamic, very cool vintage vibe. I loved the somewhat darker sunburst on this particular model and the hand-rubbed finish. It's sort of like you went back in time to a Gibson dealer in 1935, walked into the store, and came out with this guitar, which is the point of the entire vintage series, I'm guessing. I think Gibson is doing a great job with these guitars.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:53 AM

There has not been to much discussion about this new series with the thin finishes on the forum.
Gibson 58 Reissue Les Paul
Fender AM Tele
Gretsch Country Club
Old 08-13-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
I simplify it in my mind by thinking of "the $5,000 line" and
"the $2,500" line ...
-Mike
I haven't found either line for sale in a local store and have been wondering what the extra $2k buys. Other than Adirondack spruce, VOS finish treatment, open gear tuners and the absence of a pickup, there doesn't seem to be much else.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwhite View Post
I bought a 50s J45 Original from Sweetwater about a month ago. Sweet guitar. I'm very happy with it. Not sure we are talking about the same series, however.
I remember you asking me about mine. Glad you liked it!
  • Gibson J-15
  • Taylor 514CE
  • Taylor 254CE DLX
  • Taylor 214CE
Old 08-13-2020, 08:02 PM

Gibson is making some killer guitars right now, my only complaint is I hate their thin finish, the orange-peely unsanded thin finish looks terrible, they should take a page from the martin authentics, thier thin finish looks amazing.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening_crow View Post
I remember you asking me about mine. Glad you liked it!
Curiosity got the best of me...again. I'm digging it though. I previously owned a recent J35 and a mid 2000s J50. I like this J45 better than both of those.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtech View Post
Gibson is making some killer guitars right now, my only complaint is I hate their thin finish, the orange-peely unsanded thin finish looks terrible, they should take a page from the martin authentics, thier thin finish looks amazing.
I'll second that! I think some of their guitars -- original series, etc. -- are the best tonewise. But the finishes -ugh...... I probably would have added an example from this line but am absolutely not a fan of the orange-peely dark look.

Fred

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion