The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2020, 11:45 AM

Oh man, these are all great suggestions! I'm off to make a list
Old 08-11-2020, 11:48 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
Lauren,
I don’t have a suggestion, but once again I would like to tell you your tribute to John Prine, posted on this forum was fantastic!!
Aww shucks, thanks so much! I'm working on some more cover tunes that I'll try to post sometime soon.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post
Aww shucks, thanks so much! I'm working on some more cover tunes that I'll try to post sometime soon.
Looking forward to it!
Old 08-11-2020, 12:40 PM

Here’s one from the vintage years- Classical Gas by Mason Williams.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:41 PM

Define “intermediate?” I wouldn’t put any Tommy Emmanuel on that list. He plays interpretations that have a lot of nuance IMO.

For me, it would be
- the original arrangement of “Windy and Warm”
- the original arrangement of “Freight Train”
- “Never Going Back Again” by Lindsay Buckingham
- “Landslide” by Lindsay Buckingham
- “Leader of the Band” by Dan Fogelberg

The reason I would say that these are “intermediate” is because they overlay melody over the technical alternating thumb, finger/string assignment that needs to be committed to muscle memory at this point. This is particularly difficult if the song has lyrics that require you to focus on singing while playing a particularly technically challenging accompaniment. I see songs like “Dust in the Wind” as more a beginner level exercise because I’ve seen few attempt singing the lyrics; Steve Walsh’s vocal range is beyond many who are still learning to play the instrument.

By the way, for “advanced” finger style I add percussive effects and use of dynamics which is what I see from the likes of Tommy Emmanuel and Ed Gerhard.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:06 PM

Windy and warm . Simply superb
Old 08-11-2020, 03:10 PM

I have learned a bunch of fingerstyle songs from this website. Video and tabs included. Not very hard either.

https://www.guitarnick.com/the_fines...yle_songs.html
Old 08-12-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Define “intermediate?” I wouldn’t put any Tommy Emmanuel on that list. He plays interpretations that have a lot of nuance IMO.

For me, it would be

- the original arrangement of “Windy and Warm”

- the original arrangement of “Freight Train”

- “Never Going Back Again” by Lindsay Buckingham

- “Landslide” by Lindsay Buckingham

- “Leader of the Band” by Dan Fogelberg

The reason I would say that these are “intermediate” is because they overlay melody over the technical alternating thumb, finger/string assignment that needs to be committed to muscle memory at this point. This is particularly difficult if the song has lyrics that require you to focus on singing while playing a particularly technically challenging accompaniment. I see songs like “Dust in the Wind” as more a beginner level exercise because I’ve seen few attempt singing the lyrics; Steve Walsh’s vocal range is beyond many who are still learning to play the instrument.

By the way, for “advanced” finger style I add percussive effects and use of dynamics which is what I see from the likes of Tommy Emmanuel and Ed Gerhard.

Great suggestions! And yes, Tommy Emmanuel’s stuff is a level of playing that I may not ever reach, although I used to be able to play “Angelina” without completely botching it!

Old 08-12-2020, 09:37 PM

This is a good thread for me. I can play some complicated stuff, but what I am finding is a) most folks will marvel at me being able to play that TE piece I spent months working on, lots of FB likes, etc, but b) I get just as many likes doing a relatively simple arrangement of something folks know and like. My problem is, as a player, I am drawn to the complex arrangements. I need some stuff that is fun to play but doesn't require a massive amount of time to be able to play competently. Please keep posting!

OP, I listened to your J. Prine song. You have a great voice and your sense of rhythm is really good. I'm in GA too, let me know if you ever want to do a band and need a lead player.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:26 AM

First one I learned was Beatles "Yesterday" arranged by Adam Rafferty. Second was "White Christmas". Both are fairly slow and easy.

2020 Taylor 814ce DLX
2017 Taylor 414ce-R (Sold)
2015 Taylor 114ce (Sold)
Old 08-13-2020, 09:48 AM

Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac looks very doable.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac looks very doable.

Really?? Seems pretty hard to me. Tapping as well as strumming with the finger style. I suppose you could call that intermediate.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:34 AM

This is my favorite to play

https://youtu.be/T3f63q3UuVI
Guild GAD30RATB
Old 08-13-2020, 10:37 AM

Too many of them to name. But I have always had a fondness for the Stones "Factory Girl." Lots of hammer-ons and two chords.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Anything by Ed Gerhard will force you to really work on tone and timing - The water is wide (as Mercy said) and the handing down, Shi Bheag shi Mhor are just a few...[snip]
His "If I Fell/In My Life" medley is really nice...if you can find the tab. He's stopped providing it, but you can still find it (this I know).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJNywrmBKkU

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion