The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 07:36 PM

From the OP-
This is why I love this board - so many ideas, thoughts and perspectives.
Certainly a range of options, some well-suited to my temperament and style.

Current plan of action:
Call the owner tomorrow and tell him I would like to have a rational discussion about options -
1) No one is replacing the neck. Martin is the only one I would trust and I would guess that is a $2,000 bill or in that neighborhood. Plus I think it would compromise the integrity of the instrument over time.

2) If he is a Martin dealer, order me a new guitar just like this one. At $5,200 List; $3,999 advertised price by dealers - I would guess his direct cost is $2,000 to $2,500. I will get the current guitar repaired at his expense (probably not much more than $100) and keep it until the new one comes in. When it does, I'll trade him guitars and bet he can sell the repaired D-28 for $3,000 at least - he makes $500 to $1,000 on the back end.

3) If he is not a dealer, I can always consider selling mine after repairs and I'll bet I can get close to what I paid for it from Maury's - then get another one.

Lots of dominos to fall here and, who knows -in the end a quality repair might make it a moot point.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:45 PM

Man that makes me angry. What a hack job.

I'm good friends with a luthier who does some high end work. It's a bit late now, but I'm going to call him in the morning and explain your situation. I'd like to get his perspective on what he'd consider a reasonable resolution to this. He will know the actual costs of repair/replace neck, etc etc. I'm not suggesting you take it to him, I just want his perspective of how this would be handled in his shop. I'll let you know what he suggests. Maybe that will help, at least I hope so. I'll let you know what he says.

Just so I know, I'm assuming it was in "like new" condition when you dropped it off, correct?
Old 08-10-2020, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

I only read some of the responses, but put my name on the "roster of the outraged". The damage is practical, financial and emotional. I applaud your empathy for not wanting the elderly owner to take a hit, but my empathy would go out the window when he said "these things happen". Depending on how forgiving you might feel the only remedies I see:
1) they cover the cost of another luthier professionally fixing (mahogany plug/filler and surface refinish (and give some kind of financial recompense for loss of value, or
2) cover the cost of sending back to Martin for a new neck.

However it ends, at some point do yourself a favor and work to get over it. The anger and frustration can eat you up and no matter how deserved, it will eat you up. Best of luck.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:06 PM

A used Martin D-28 might sell for around $2000. Being left handed with a little damage makes it much harder to sell. If you want a satisfactory result make the resolution as easy as possible.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

...JUMP!!!....just kidding...done is done ....it’s a senior moment that resulted in an unfortunate mistake...easy to mostly hide which I’m sure the senior will pay for along with what I must imagine are are sincere apologies....let it go and play your fine guitar in good health!!..
Old 08-11-2020, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

That's terrible. It would annoy me. There's ko reason, however, it can't be fixed to a standard where no one will ever know what happened as except you.

The shop ownere should cover the cost of a competent repair.

I would ring him and tell him you'll get a quote and you expect him to cover it, otherwise you'll have to take legal action, and tell him this going legal might entail you seeking the cost of a replacement guitar.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 08-11-2020, 03:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtoy View Post
From the OP-
This is why I love this board - so many ideas, thoughts and perspectives.
Certainly a range of options, some well-suited to my temperament and style.

Current plan of action:
Call the owner tomorrow and tell him I would like to have a rational discussion about options -
1) No one is replacing the neck. Martin is the only one I would trust and I would guess that is a $2,000 bill or in that neighborhood. Plus I think it would compromise the integrity of the instrument over time.

2) If he is a Martin dealer, order me a new guitar just like this one. At $5,200 List; $3,999 advertised price by dealers - I would guess his direct cost is $2,000 to $2,500. I will get the current guitar repaired at his expense (probably not much more than $100) and keep it until the new one comes in. When it does, I'll trade him guitars and bet he can sell the repaired D-28 for $3,000 at least - he makes $500 to $1,000 on the back end.

3) If he is not a dealer, I can always consider selling mine after repairs and I'll bet I can get close to what I paid for it from Maury's - then get another one.

Lots of dominos to fall here and, who knows -in the end a quality repair might make it a moot point.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
I personally would not talk with the shop, i would go to a lawyer with this and have the lawyer handle the matter fully. the only option i would consider is the inlay and i would want a high end professional to do it. no way would i want a brand new Martin to have a new neck put on with this traditional dovetail joint-what if the new neck just doesn't stay right-it happens, then you are stuck with a defective guitar.

if you do decide to have it filled with a wood plug, i would again have the best professional that i could find, do it. there will be shipping costs to and from, and i would want a depreciation value included as well-again, let your lawyer handle all of it. it has the possibility to turn into a sludge fest and you don't deserve any more grief.

good luck. though this was not intentional, they caused the damage, and the cost of the instrument and it being new magnifies that fact . this is not your fault and you should not feel the least awkward in holding them responsible.

keep us posted on the outcome
d
Old 08-11-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Man that makes me angry. What a hack job.

I'm good friends with a luthier who does some high end work. It's a bit late now, but I'm going to call him in the morning and explain your situation. I'd like to get his perspective on what he'd consider a reasonable resolution to this. He will know the actual costs of repair/replace neck, etc etc. I'm not suggesting you take it to him, I just want his perspective of how this would be handled in his shop. I'll let you know what he suggests. Maybe that will help, at least I hope so. I'll let you know what he says.

Just so I know, I'm assuming it was in "like new" condition when you dropped it off, correct?
Indeed, - I have had it two months and have treated it like the gold it is to me . . .

I appreciate your input.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I only read some of the responses, but put my name on the "roster of the outraged". The damage is practical, financial and emotional. I applaud your empathy for not wanting the elderly owner to take a hit, but my empathy would go out the window when he said "these things happen". Depending on how forgiving you might feel the only remedies I see:
1) they cover the cost of another luthier professionally fixing (mahogany plug/filler and surface refinish (and give some kind of financial recompense for loss of value, or
2) cover the cost of sending back to Martin for a new neck.

However it ends, at some point do yourself a favor and work to get over it. The anger and frustration can eat you up and no matter how deserved, it will eat you up. Best of luck.
Thanks - two of my consistent mantras my adult children hate (but, actually agree with) are:
1) Misery is optional and
2) If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there.

Need to heed my own advice, but expect a good repair job to be covered by the owner.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Tell Martin..... in 2005, I had an inexcusable issue with my pristine Martin D40 (needing only a set-up) inflicted by a "repair" guy at a high-end only Dealer in Boston... I'll spare you the details unless you'd like to know .... bottom-line - Martin wants to know who is "working" on their guitars ... installing a strap button on the wrong side ????? Then Mickey Mousing the wound ????

"Regrets. I've had a few" - Sinatra

Last edited by FingahPickah; 08-12-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:39 AM

I would have been apoplectic at first. Then I would have calmed down and realised it wasn't the end of the world.

I would insist that the store pay for a professional repair by a competent individual of my choosing. I would make it clear that I was prepared to escalate the situation if this was rejected.

Last edited by Silurian; 08-11-2020 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:46 AM

My head exploded just reading this.

They need to pay for the repair, but YOU will find the person to do it.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

I'm really sorry to see this. Even under the general category of 'mistakes happen' this one is a significant one.

When people make a clear error that affects you, then try to minimize it, they only add to the outrage.

The fact that they made the mistake, left you to clean up their mess and basically tried to get you to feel bad for their error is the real grievance here.

Lots of good options, to me the most likely reasonable option is finding a competent luthier who can plug it, make the shop pay directly and possibly have the shop throw in extra for the depreciation.

Replacing the guitar is an option, but if you love this one, I'd hesitate to switch it out.

I'm so sorry, there really is no excusing their lack of responsibility and you have every reason to be angry.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 08-11-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
I never said he should let it stand. I just don't think "you buy me a brand new $5k guitar or I sue you" is going to fly unless there's actual damage to the neck...
There is actual damage to the neck.

I'd be going for the long ball on this one. This was a monumental screw up and that, to me, is the only acceptable remedy...
Old 08-11-2020, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

I'd suggest, don't take responsibility for a repair, or a "patch".
Insist they replace the guitar at their expense and you trade in the original when replacement arrives.
Tell them that you have discussed situation on the AGF (and perhaps UMGF) but that you have not ...yet ...revealed their name.

To them it is just another "unit" but to you it is a lifelong ambition and a precious thnig that they have ruined.

Thy need to take full responsibility, or pay you full replacement cost, then you go fishing.

For my 60th birthday, I ordered a slightly customised guitar from a high end US based maker. there was a whole bunch of things wrong with it, and the dealer tried to make it good but it was a major dud. I couldn't accept that it could not be resolved. I should have rejected it and put the problem back to dealer/maker. I lost thousands. Be warned.

Get cash back, direct replacement, and walk away.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion