The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
The thing to remember for this exercise is that you aren't giving a name to your own guitar, you're naming someone else's guitar. That's a lot more fun and risk-free!
I thought that was that was what I was doing in quoting and responding. I just used mine as examples.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
I thought that was that was what I was doing in quoting and responding. I just used mine as examples.
See I already named my cat Aria and my boy Gibson, as I typically name all non-guitar items after guitar brands.

I use brand names for animate objects, and human for inanimate objects. Helps to keep things straight.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:21 PM

Lens Larque and Attel Malagate (The Woe).
Old 08-07-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a hit tv series, where a small, reticent palour and a headstrong but loveable jazz-rock electric go around and solve musical mysteries.

Tonight's episode: Stolen blues riffs, part 1.

Batman & Robin!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 08-08-2020, 07:58 AM

After I mentioned "My Mother The Car" Mc1 replied:

Quote:
Cancelled? More like switched off.

I never heard of it, Wade, but I just read the premise:
Quote:
The premise features a man whose deceased mother is reincarnated as an antique car, and she communicates with him through the car radio.
Oh, it was worse than ridiculous. It was an old Ford Model A or something, from back when I'm not even sure they HAD car radios - wait, are you saying it wasn't historically accurate?!?!?

Anyway, the mother's voice had a strong Yiddish accent, and she's a yenta, yammering comically (and hilariously!) nonstop. Naturally. Yet her son was played by the obviously gentile Jerry Van Dyke. It's hard to imagine another goy boy less likely to have had this particular mother, much less having her jibber at him through an old car radio, which is why it's so great, right? Nonstop yucks and hilarity ensue.....

Immortal humor for the ages

Mc1 summed up:

Quote:
Sounds like the result of a bet between Stephen King and Sidney Sheldon where they both lost.
I don't even want to imagine the creative process that went into producing that show. Just thinking about it would be like playing a drinking game where you chugalug shots of Lysol instead of tequila...

Whoever did come up with that show must have previously had some great success that persuaded the network to let him go ahead with the project, and I have to assume that with "My Mother The Car" he burned through that good will like a prairie fire sweeping through three counties on a windy day in Western Kansas.

whm
Old 08-08-2020, 08:19 AM

Wade "Always willing to post a helpful message" Hampton hilariously wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Oh, it was worse than ridiculous. It was an old Ford Model A or something, from back when I'm not even sure they HAD car radios - wait, are you saying it wasn't historically accurate?!?!?

Anyway, the mother's voice had a strong Yiddish accent, and she's a yenta, yammering comically (and hilariously!) nonstop. Naturally. Yet her son was played by the obviously gentile Jerry Van Dyke. It's hard to imagine another goy boy less likely to have had this particular mother, much less having her jibber at him through an old car radio, which is why it's so great, right? Nonstop yucks and hilarity ensue.....

I don't even want to imagine the creative process that went into producing that show. Just thinking about it would be like playing a drinking game where you chugalug shots of Lysol instead of tequila...

Whoever did come up with that show must have previously had some great success that persuaded the network to let him go ahead with the project, and I have to assume that with "My Mother The Car" he burned through that good will like a prairie fire sweeping through three counties on a windy day in Western Kansas.

whm
Rest assured, I will not name either guitar, "My Mom the Guitar".

But I think a show where a mother is reincarnated as a guitar, and the offspring hums different notes into the soundhole to get sage advice is rather promising. She could also pop up at inconvenient times, like during an open mic.

It could air right after Black Beauty and Rising Sun.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

I'll start naming guitars sometime after I start naming my hand tools - probably .......never.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
The Gibbie Howie-Bobbie Intermingler - It's great for ballads.
I can see you playing a great, subtle jazz piece and then saying “Thank you; and I’d like to introduce my guitar, Gibbie Howie-Bobbie, to you.”

Kinda like Nigel Tufnel playing his thoughtful piano piece and then sharing that it is titled Lick My Love Pump.

Last edited by WordMan; 08-08-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I can see you playing a great, subtle jazz piece and then saying “Thank you; and I’d like to introduce my guitar Gibbie Howie-Bobbie, to you.”

Kinda like Nigel Tufnel playing his thoughtful piano piece and then sharing that it is titled Lick My Love Pump.
And now, a few words from my best friend forever and bridge partner Gibbie Howie-Bobbie:

Old 08-08-2020, 08:51 AM

Onyx and Charlemagne
I took you seriously.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-08-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

Immortal humor for the ages
Sometimes another discussion of the relative merits of PB and 80/20 is just too constraining.

This is what happens when an initially improbable thread is allowed to relentlessly morph into an unfettered exercise in free form association.

We may need more of these, at least until the vaccine arrives.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Rest assured, I will not name either guitar, "My Mom the Guitar".

But I think a show where a mother is reincarnated as a guitar, and the offspring hums different notes into the soundhole to get sage advice is rather promising. She could also pop up at inconvenient times, like during an open mic.

It could air right after Black Beauty and Rising Sun.
No.

Just.......no.

Anyway, if my mother were to be reincarnated and talk to me through a car radio or guitar or anything else, it would be in her genteel Charleston "South of Broad Street" accent that she and all the other young ladies who attended the Ashley Hall finishing school spoke with.

But I doubt it would work as a television comedy; instead of broad Borscht Belt humor, her sense of humor was more understated, in the "sarcastic Huguenot" tradition of her French Huguenot family. I get my own broad hillbilly sense of humor from my Scots-Irish father.

Mother used to roll her eyes a lot at both of us...

whm
Old 08-08-2020, 11:45 AM

Beautiful pair. I would call the black one "Port Royal" because it has an air of royalty to it.

I have to think about the Howard Roberts ... how cool is that guitar! A seldom known guitar secluded and lost over the years ... call it "Cape Sable".

So there you have it, Port and Sable. Guessing no one but yourself and perhaps Tom understands those two names.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:47 AM

The Little guy

The Big guy
Old 08-08-2020, 11:56 AM

Pirate Roberts and the Black pearl

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion